undocumented Shell32.dll calls
Author Message
 undocumented Shell32.dll calls

In December 1998's copy of  ".EXE" Dave Jewell give us an insight into the
undocumented API calls in Shell32.dll. While I appreciate that you shouldn't
use undocumented APis due to the possibility of them not being supported in
future, I thought I'd give them a go.
Now the article was written with Pascal programmers in mind but "it
shouldn't be too hard to convert these calls to VB or C"

As an example I tried to access the suggested "PickIconDlg" call. In the
article Dave tells us this has the ordinal Number of 62. now I assume this
is Hex, but I can't see ordinal D62 or H3E. Anyway I tried to convert his
code and came up with the following.

'-----------------
Declare Function PickIconDlg Lib "shell32.dll" (howner As Long, ByVal sfile
As String, max As Integer, ByVal iindex As Integer) As Boolean
'-----------------

not worrying for the moment about whether I've got the types of the
parameters correct , of more pressing concern is that when called,. VB5
produced
"can't find dll entry point pickicondlg in shell32.dll"

what am I doing wrong? I even tried using pickicondlgA in vague
desperation...

please help! its got me going....
--
Tim Webber

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 undocumented Shell32.dll calls
Perhaps,
Public Declare Function PickIconDlg Lib _
   "shell32" Alias "#62" _
   (ByVal szPath As String) As Long

Never tried it, con't think I wanna mess around with undocumented API calls
except when I am bored after 12 beers and have totally backed up my system
;-)
Neila

Quote:

>In December 1998's copy of  ".EXE" Dave Jewell give us an insight into the
>undocumented API calls in Shell32.dll. While I appreciate that you
shouldn't
>use undocumented APis due to the possibility of them not being supported in
>future, I thought I'd give them a go.
>Now the article was written with Pascal programmers in mind but "it
>shouldn't be too hard to convert these calls to VB or C"

>As an example I tried to access the suggested "PickIconDlg" call. In the
>article Dave tells us this has the ordinal Number of 62. now I assume this
>is Hex, but I can't see ordinal D62 or H3E. Anyway I tried to convert his
>code and came up with the following.

>'-----------------
>Declare Function PickIconDlg Lib "shell32.dll" (howner As Long, ByVal sfile
>As String, max As Integer, ByVal iindex As Integer) As Boolean
>'-----------------

>not worrying for the moment about whether I've got the types of the
>parameters correct , of more pressing concern is that when called,. VB5
>produced
>"can't find dll entry point pickicondlg in shell32.dll"

>what am I doing wrong? I even tried using pickicondlgA in vague
>desperation...

>please help! its got me going....
>--
>Tim Webber

Tue, 10 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 undocumented Shell32.dll calls

Quote:

> In December 1998's copy of  ".EXE" Dave Jewell give us an insight into
> the
> undocumented API calls in Shell32.dll. While I appreciate that you
> shouldn't
> use undocumented APis due to the possibility of them not being
> supported in
> future, I thought I'd give them a go.
> Now the article was written with Pascal programmers in mind but "it
> shouldn't be too hard to convert these calls to VB or C"

> As an example I tried to access the suggested "PickIconDlg" call. In the
> article Dave tells us this has the ordinal Number of 62. now I assume
> this
> is Hex, but I can't see ordinal D62 or H3E. Anyway I tried to convert
> his
> code and came up with the following.

> '-----------------
> Declare Function PickIconDlg Lib "shell32.dll" (howner As Long, ByVal
> sfile
> As String, max As Integer, ByVal iindex As Integer) As Boolean
> '-----------------

> not worrying for the moment about whether I've got the types of the
> parameters correct , of more pressing concern is that when called,. VB5
> produced
> "can't find dll entry point pickicondlg in shell32.dll"

> what am I doing wrong? I even tried using pickicondlgA in vague
> desperation...

> please help! its got me going....
> --
> Tim Webber

Have a look at http://www.mvps.org/vbnet/code/shell/undocchangeicondlg.htm
on the VBNet site which describes how it should be called using VB.

Regards

Thu, 12 Jul 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Shell32.dll API Calls

2. OLEAUT32.DLL and SHELL32.DLL error?

3. Extracting Icons from DLL files. Eg - Shell32.dll

4. API call from VB - Shell32

5. Calling shell32 to shutdown windows 9x

6. dll's undocumented export method.

7. Hack Undocumented RADMIN32.DLL?

8. Undocumented Microsoft DLLs are breaking my Treeview control???

9. Undocumented functions in MPR.DLL file

10. API ShellExecute (Shell32.dll)

11. API ShellExecute (SHELL32.DLL)

12. FindEnvironmentString not found in Shell32.dll