newbies amongst newbies! 
Author Message
 newbies amongst newbies!

whilst experimenting with vb6 [ent ed] , after using previously qbasic!,

i became stuck while looking for the vb6 equivalent to qbasics' OUT
command..

for example:
    OUT &H378, 255
any help/pointers would be tremendously appreciated

Robert S. Krowley
Oz Robotics Group, LTD



Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 newbies amongst newbies!
On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:26:40 +1000, robsk pondered:

Quote:
> whilst experimenting with vb6 [ent ed] , after using previously qbasic!,

> i became stuck while looking for the vb6 equivalent to qbasics' OUT
> command..

> for example:
>     OUT &H378, 255
> any help/pointers would be tremendously appreciated

VB has no way of directly communicating with ports - though I believe there are
controls available for this.

You should try using other methods - it seems that you are trying to access the
parallel printer port in the above OUT command, and there are a number of much
easier ways of printing in VB. Just take a look through the help file for the
Printer object - and it can be done with API calls too.

--
Alex Warren ICQ: 4043750 http://come.to/axe http://come.to/perdition
email: 1. take my name, remove the spaces, and "at", writeme, a dot, and a com
       2. AOL and HOTMAIL users add "AW" to the subject line please
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(please reply to the newsgroup - if you must reply by email, change the anti-
spam rubbish in the header to the email address prescribed above)



Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 newbies amongst newbies!
http://www.apexsc.com/vb/index.html
NT86IO10.ZIP
This is a DLL for Windows (16 & 32bit) to manipulate bits, bytes, integers,
longs, and Hardware Port I/O or to call CPU interrupts. For C/C++, Visual
Basic.

Under Windows 95, you can use a DLL.
http://www.softcircuits.com
has a freeware one (WIN95IO.ZIP).

There are commercial products that allow Inp, Out, Peek, Poke (for memory
access), and interrupt service.
These are Hardware OCX from Tetradyne,

http://www.tetradyne.com,

WinRT OCX from Blue Water Systems,
http://www.bluewatersystem.com.

You can access all your PCs I/O ports.
Check out the VBOnline web site at
http://www.vbonline.com/vbonline/cie

ActiveX control for I/O Go to
www.lvr.com/parport
and download inpout32.zip

--
Henri Leboeuf
Remove ENLEVE in my return address.

My Home Page: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/index.htm



Quote:

> whilst experimenting with vb6 [ent ed] , after using previously qbasic!,

> i became stuck while looking for the vb6 equivalent to qbasics' OUT
> command..

> for example:
>     OUT &H378, 255
> any help/pointers would be tremendously appreciated

> Robert S. Krowley
> Oz Robotics Group, LTD




Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 newbies amongst newbies!
You should declare in a module, or use a Private Declare

Andr

Quote:

>very appreciative for taking time out for such an extensive response.
>I visited all the links you provided and chose win95io.dll for my
>project. One thing still troubles me though: how is header information
>declared in vb6. Under general declarations, i entered the code:

>Declare Sub vbOut Lib "WIN95IO.DLL" (ByVal nPort As Integer, ByVal nData As
>Integer)

>however upon running a software harnous for the dll, vb6 gave this error
(and
>highlighted the above code):
>"Compile error:
>    Constants, fixed length strings, arrays user defined types and declare
>    statements not allowed as Public members of object modules"


>> http://www.apexsc.com/vb/index.html
>> NT86IO10.ZIP
>> This is a DLL for Windows (16 & 32bit) to manipulate bits, bytes,
integers,
>> longs, and Hardware Port I/O or to call CPU interrupts. For C/C++, Visual
>> Basic.

>> Under Windows 95, you can use a DLL.
>> http://www.softcircuits.com
>> has a freeware one (WIN95IO.ZIP).

>> There are commercial products that allow Inp, Out, Peek, Poke (for memory
>> access), and interrupt service.
>> These are Hardware OCX from Tetradyne,

>> http://www.tetradyne.com,

>> WinRT OCX from Blue Water Systems,
>> http://www.bluewatersystem.com.

>> You can access all your PCs I/O ports.
>> Check out the VBOnline web site at
>> http://www.vbonline.com/vbonline/cie

>> ActiveX control for I/O Go to
>> www.lvr.com/parport
>> and download inpout32.zip

>> --
>> Henri Leboeuf
>> Remove ENLEVE in my return address.

>> My Home Page: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/index.htm



>> > whilst experimenting with vb6 [ent ed] , after using previously
qbasic!,

>> > i became stuck while looking for the vb6 equivalent to qbasics' OUT
>> > command..

>> > for example:
>> >     OUT &H378, 255
>> > any help/pointers would be tremendously appreciated

>> > Robert S. Krowley
>> > Oz Robotics Group, LTD




Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 newbies amongst newbies!
You must add a 'Standard Module' to your project (if it doesn't already
have one) and place the DLL function declaration in the declarations
section of the module.  Chances are you have tried to use it in a Form
module or a Class module, neither of which is allowed.

Brian-



Quote:
> very appreciative for taking time out for such an extensive response.
> I visited all the links you provided and chose win95io.dll for my
> project. One thing still troubles me though: how is header information
> declared in vb6. Under general declarations, i entered the code:

> Declare Sub vbOut Lib "WIN95IO.DLL" (ByVal nPort As Integer, ByVal nData
As
> Integer)

> however upon running a software harnous for the dll, vb6 gave this error
(and
> highlighted the above code):
> "Compile error:
>     Constants, fixed length strings, arrays user defined types and
declare
>     statements not allowed as Public members of object modules"



Thu, 09 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 newbies amongst newbies!
the thing is, i'm not trying to send any data to the printer, i only
intend manipulating
a mem address (&H378)...Do you have any suggestions as to how i could
manipulate
the byte? using vb6?

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999 19:26:40 +1000, robsk pondered:

Quote:
> whilst experimenting with vb6 [ent ed] , after using previously
qbasic!,

> i became stuck while looking for the vb6 equivalent to qbasics' OUT
> command..

> for example:
>     OUT &H378, 255
> any help/pointers would be tremendously appreciated

VB has no way of directly communicating with ports - though I believe
there are
controls available for this.

You should try using other methods - it seems that you are trying to
access the
parallel printer port in the above OUT command, and there are a number
of much
easier ways of printing in VB. Just take a look through the help file
for the
Printer object - and it can be done with API calls too.

--
Alex Warren ICQ: 4043750 http://come.to/axe
http://come.to/perdition
email: 1. take my name, remove the spaces, and "at", writeme, a dot, and
a com
       2. AOL and HOTMAIL users add "AW" to the subject line please
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

(please reply to the newsgroup - if you must reply by email, change the
anti-
spam rubbish in the header to the email address prescribed above)



Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 newbies amongst newbies!
very appreciative for taking time out for such an extensive response.
I visited all the links you provided and chose win95io.dll for my
project. One thing still troubles me though: how is header information
declared in vb6. Under general declarations, i entered the code:

Declare Sub vbOut Lib "WIN95IO.DLL" (ByVal nPort As Integer, ByVal nData As
Integer)

however upon running a software harnous for the dll, vb6 gave this error (and
highlighted the above code):
"Compile error:
    Constants, fixed length strings, arrays user defined types and declare
    statements not allowed as Public members of object modules"

Quote:

> http://www.apexsc.com/vb/index.html
> NT86IO10.ZIP
> This is a DLL for Windows (16 & 32bit) to manipulate bits, bytes, integers,
> longs, and Hardware Port I/O or to call CPU interrupts. For C/C++, Visual
> Basic.

> Under Windows 95, you can use a DLL.
> http://www.softcircuits.com
> has a freeware one (WIN95IO.ZIP).

> There are commercial products that allow Inp, Out, Peek, Poke (for memory
> access), and interrupt service.
> These are Hardware OCX from Tetradyne,

> http://www.tetradyne.com,

> WinRT OCX from Blue Water Systems,
> http://www.bluewatersystem.com.

> You can access all your PCs I/O ports.
> Check out the VBOnline web site at
> http://www.vbonline.com/vbonline/cie

> ActiveX control for I/O Go to
> www.lvr.com/parport
> and download inpout32.zip

> --
> Henri Leboeuf
> Remove ENLEVE in my return address.

> My Home Page: http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/index.htm



> > whilst experimenting with vb6 [ent ed] , after using previously qbasic!,

> > i became stuck while looking for the vb6 equivalent to qbasics' OUT
> > command..

> > for example:
> >     OUT &H378, 255
> > any help/pointers would be tremendously appreciated

> > Robert S. Krowley
> > Oz Robotics Group, LTD




Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 newbies amongst newbies!


Quote:
> You must add a 'Standard Module' to your project (if it doesn't already
> have one) and place the DLL function declaration in the declarations
> section of the module.  Chances are you have tried to use it in a Form
> module or a Class module, neither of which is allowed.

It is.  You just have to declare the DLL-function as Private ...

Greetz,
  Rudy Wieser



Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 newbies amongst newbies!
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999 00:30:29 +1000, robsk pondered:

Quote:
> the thing is, i'm not trying to send any data to the printer, i only
> intend manipulating
> a mem address (&H378)...Do you have any suggestions as to how i could
> manipulate
> the byte? using vb6?

Well, what are you manipulating this memory address for? Whatever you're doing,
there should probably be a "safer" way of doing things conventionally through
the WinAPI. If you tell us what you're trying to do, somebody will probably be
able to tell you how to do it without fiddling with ports (not a very advisable
method, as you can't guarantee that it will work on other computers)

--
Alex Warren ICQ: 4043750 http://come.to/axe http://come.to/perdition
email: 1. take my name, remove the spaces, and "at", writeme, a dot, and a com
       2. AOL and HOTMAIL users add "AW" to the subject line please
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
(please reply to the newsgroup - if you must reply by email, change the anti-
spam rubbish in the header to the email address prescribed above)



Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 9 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. A showoff gallery for newbies (and not-so-newbies)?

2. Power scripting site for newbies and not-so-newbies -- check it out!

3. Very green newbies!!

4. Tutorial for Newbies

5. New site for VB.NET newbies

6. New site for VB.NET newbies!

7. For Newbies

8. Great Help Page for Newbies and Power Users

9. Newbies look here!

10. newbies help to do a shorcut

11. More demos added to web site for Newbies

12. Welcome Newbies 22 August

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software