Package & Deployment Wizard: Installing DLLs
Author Message
 Package & Deployment Wizard: Installing DLLs

I'm a beginner and I'm having problems with installing DLLs.
In my Visual Basic 6 program code I use a couple of functions from the
user32.dll. Therefore I have to ensure that the computer has an
user32.dll which supports this functions.

Is there any possibility to configure the setup process (Package &
Deployment Wizard) so that setup during installation figures out if it
has to replace the actual installed user32.dll (the user32.dll in setup
is newer than the actual user32.dll) or not?

Second question, how can setup install a DLL like user32.dll. During the
setup I always get an error message that the user32.dll is currently in
use. Is there any possibility to enforce setup to reboot the computer
and to replace the user32.dll during reboot?

Any help and information are very appreciated
Stefan

Mon, 24 May 2004 17:31:23 GMT
 Package & Deployment Wizard: Installing DLLs
Which functions in User32.dll is present in *some*
versions, and not in others, forcing you to update it?

User32.dll is an OS-kernel file, and if you tried to
replace mine, I would have been forced to hunt down,
and kill you ;-).

Honestly... You should *not* change/update the os-kernel
on a users machine just because of your app.

--
Dag.

Quote:
> I'm a beginner and I'm having problems with installing DLLs.
> In my Visual Basic 6 program code I use a couple of functions from the
> user32.dll. Therefore I have to ensure that the computer has an
> user32.dll which supports this functions.

> Is there any possibility to configure the setup process (Package &
> Deployment Wizard) so that setup during installation figures out if it
> has to replace the actual installed user32.dll (the user32.dll in setup
> is newer than the actual user32.dll) or not?

> Second question, how can setup install a DLL like user32.dll. During the
> setup I always get an error message that the user32.dll is currently in
> use. Is there any possibility to enforce setup to reboot the computer
> and to replace the user32.dll during reboot?

> Any help and information are very appreciated
> Stefan

Mon, 24 May 2004 19:43:45 GMT
 Package & Deployment Wizard: Installing DLLs
I use
  Private Declare Function FlashWindowEx Lib "user32" (pfwi As FlashSet)
As Boolean
to flash the task bar button.

Actually my question should be general.

Is there any possibility to configure the setup process (Package &
Deployment Wizard) so that setup during installation figures out if it
has to replace an actual installed DLL or not?

I also has this problem with fonts.

For example:
Because not each computer has the Tahoma font installed I've inclueded
tahoma.ttf in the package so it will be installed. Unfortunately if the
computer has the font Tahoma already installed, the setup program
although tries to install tahoma.ttf and gets an error message.

Is there really no solution to ignore files if they are already install
and are newer than the to be installed file?

Stefan

Quote:

> Which functions in User32.dll is present in *some*
> versions, and not in others, forcing you to update it?

> User32.dll is an OS-kernel file, and if you tried to
> replace mine, I would have been forced to hunt down,
> and kill you ;-).

> Honestly... You should *not* change/update the os-kernel
> on a users machine just because of your app.

> --
> Dag.

> > I'm a beginner and I'm having problems with installing DLLs.
> > In my Visual Basic 6 program code I use a couple of functions from the
> > user32.dll. Therefore I have to ensure that the computer has an
> > user32.dll which supports this functions.

> > Is there any possibility to configure the setup process (Package &
> > Deployment Wizard) so that setup during installation figures out if it
> > has to replace the actual installed user32.dll (the user32.dll in setup
> > is newer than the actual user32.dll) or not?

> > Second question, how can setup install a DLL like user32.dll. During the
> > setup I always get an error message that the user32.dll is currently in
> > use. Is there any possibility to enforce setup to reboot the computer
> > and to replace the user32.dll during reboot?

> > Any help and information are very appreciated
> > Stefan

Tue, 25 May 2004 00:02:19 GMT
 Package & Deployment Wizard: Installing DLLs

Quote:

> Actually my question should be general.
> Is there any possibility to configure the setup process (Package &
> Deployment Wizard) so that setup during installation figures out if it
> has to replace an actual installed DLL or not?

DLLs and Package and Deployment Wizard don't go along. Just ask me
about the bug P&DW has with ADO. :) (Basically, P&DW tries to install
msado25.tlb or whatever instead of including mdac_typ.exe like it
should. {*filter*} Microsoft!)

I use Wise Installer currently, I know it's a somewhat expensive
commercial package, so it may not be for you. I like it right now --
it has some rudimentary scripting which sometimes I need. Prior to
that, I used GKSetup, which is okay, but a bit buggy on some things.

Wed, 26 May 2004 03:44:40 GMT

1. newer ocx not installed by package deployment wizard

2. Com Addin - Package & Deployment Wizard

3. Package & Deployment Wizard - error

4. Package & Deployment Wizard in Outlook 2000

5. Package & Deployment Wizard problem under NT

6. Package&Deployment wizard problem

7. package & Deployment Wizard

8. Package & Deployment Wizard and Bitmaps

9. Package & Deployment Wizard Query

10. Dynamic Setup using Package & Deployment Wizard - URGENT

11. VB6 and Package & Deployment Wizard

12. VB6:Using Package & Deployment Wizard