Making forms appear separate in app
Author Message
 Making forms appear separate in app

I have an app which displays multiple, unrelated forms, and I would like the forms to act like
independent windows (i.e., when the user clicks one, the others don't also pop up to the front).
Is there any way to do this, via API or some other technique?

Keith McFarlane
AT&T Bell Labs

Fri, 04 Jul 1997 21:44:20 GMT
 Making forms appear separate in app

Quote:
>I have an app which displays multiple, unrelated forms, and I would like the
>forms to act like
>independent windows (i.e., when the user clicks one, the others don't also pop
>up to the front).
>Is there any way to do this, via API or some other technique?

Hi Keith
Search on MDI

Chuck Stuart
Mesquite TX USA
Contract Programmer.
Author of VBTrace, runtime VB Trace/Profile/XRef utility.

Sat, 05 Jul 1997 00:01:22 GMT
 Making forms appear separate in app

Quote:

>>I have an app which displays multiple, unrelated forms, and I would like the
>>forms to act like
>>independent windows (i.e., when the user clicks one, the others don't also pop
>>up to the front).
>>Is there any way to do this, via API or some other technique?

>Hi Keith
>Search on MDI

>Chuck Stuart
>Mesquite TX USA
>Contract Programmer.
>Author of VBTrace, runtime VB Trace/Profile/XRef utility.

Chuck -

Thx for the response. However, I don't think that this problem can be solved
using the MDI framework, as I'm looking to generate the appearance of
multiple, independent, overlapped windows, not multiple MDI children.

The first message I posted was probably not clear enough. I need to make
the forms within a single VB app appear as if they are totally different
*applications*. As such, they must act in an independent fashion when
clicked (i.e., if two forms are partially covered by the Program
Manager and one of the forms is clicked, only the clicked form appears
above the Program Manager).

Keith McFarlane
AT&T Bell Labs

Sat, 05 Jul 1997 21:28:59 GMT
 Making forms appear separate in app

Quote:
>Thx for the response. However, I don't think that this problem can be solved
>using the MDI framework, as I'm looking to generate the appearance of
>multiple, independent, overlapped windows, not multiple MDI children.
>The first message I posted was probably not clear enough. I need to make
>the forms within a single VB app appear as if they are totally different
>*applications*. As such, they must act in an independent fashion when
>clicked (i.e., if two forms are partially covered by the Program
>Manager and one of the forms is clicked, only the clicked form appears
>above the Program Manager).

Hi Keith

Thats the MDI child forms work.

Chuck Stuart
Mesquite TX USA
Contract Programmer.
Author of VBTrace, runtime VB Trace/Profile/XRef utility.

Sat, 05 Jul 1997 19:25:54 GMT
 Making forms appear separate in app

Quote:

>Hi Keith

>Thats the MDI child forms work.

>Chuck Stuart
>Mesquite TX USA
>Contract Programmer.
>Author of VBTrace, runtime VB Trace/Profile/XRef utility.

Chuck -

I know MDI children work this way within and MDI parent, but I can't
use an MDI parent. I need the forms to act independently with respect
to Windows, not with respect to an MDI frame. Setting the MDIChild
property to True without having an MDI Frame in your project will
produce a runtime error.

Is there something I'm missing?

- Keith

Sun, 06 Jul 1997 09:14:31 GMT
 Making forms appear separate in app

Quote:

>>>I have an app which displays multiple, unrelated forms, and I would like the
>>>forms to act like
>>>independent windows (i.e., when the user clicks one, the others don't also pop
>>>up to the front).
>>>Is there any way to do this, via API or some other technique?

> Thx for the response. However, I don't think that this problem can be solved
> using the MDI framework, as I'm looking to generate the appearance of
> multiple, independent, overlapped windows, not multiple MDI children.

> The first message I posted was probably not clear enough. I need to make
> the forms within a single VB app appear as if they are totally different
> *applications*. As such, they must act in an independent fashion when
> clicked (i.e., if two forms are partially covered by the Program
> Manager and one of the forms is clicked, only the clicked form appears
> above the Program Manager).

> Keith McFarlane
> AT&T Bell Labs

What if you made separate applications, then shell to them all with
one "master" program?

Just a thought...
--
Andre Hallam

Sun, 06 Jul 1997 10:12:14 GMT
 Making forms appear separate in app

Quote:

Cresent Software in their QuickPak product has a VBX called "CSFORM"  which
allows you to set the Zorder not only for windows in a particular application,
but also in refereence to other applications.  So you could make a particualr
window the one in front of all others, or the one in back of all others, or in
the same application one the frontmost and the other one the bottommost.
You can probably accomplish the same thing with some API calls.  I'm not sure
of your exact requirements, but it seem with a little programing the the
activate event you could probably accomplish what you want.
Joe

Sun, 06 Jul 1997 15:15:40 GMT
 Making forms appear separate in app
How about SetParent. I've never tried it, but set the forms to have the
desktop (GetDesktopWindow or something like that) as their parent.
Let me know if it works ;)

Sun, 20 Jul 1997 10:31:19 GMT

1. Forms appear separate in start menu bar

2. Making a * query with a separate form in a database

3. making colon appear in time field on form

4. Making a form appear on front

5. Making Form appear on top of others.

6. Making a Form Appear in Front

7. MDI Question: Two Separate Apps, One Child To Parent App

8. Making the bulb appear in the Office Assistant

9. Word 97: Automatically Making the Previous Month Appear???

10. Making picture attachments appear in recipient window

11. simple OLE problem - making Outlook appear

12. What makes toolbar automatically appear?