Setup Wizard VB5 URGENT Guru's Please Help
Author Message
 Setup Wizard VB5 URGENT Guru's Please Help

I have used the setup wizard to create distribution diskettes in the past
and have come across a painful problem.  The setup kit builds the
distribution set but when I attempt to install the newly created
application, I receive an error near the end of the install process.  The
ST5UNST.xxx log file has the following

....More above this....
ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"
(File currently on disk was already up to date)
....More above this....
ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL"

ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"

*** ERROR: The file 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\$(DLLSelfRegisterEx)' could not be
registered because it was not found.
*** ERROR: (User Responded with 'OK')

WHAT IS CAUSING THIS !!!

I am using ACCESS JET for the database and the following standard controls
are in the application.

ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"
ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCAL.OCX"
ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TABCTL32.OCX"
ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.OCX"

I included the MFC40.DLL and MSVSRT40.DLL's too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Setup Wizard VB5 URGENT Guru's Please Help

Quote:
> I have used the setup wizard to create distribution diskettes in the past
> and have come across a painful problem.  The setup kit builds the
> distribution set but when I attempt to install the newly created
> application, I receive an error near the end of the install process.  The
> ST5UNST.xxx log file has the following

> ....More above this....
> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"
> (File currently on disk was already up to date)
> ....More above this....
> ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
> Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL"

> ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"

> *** ERROR: The file 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\$(DLLSelfRegisterEx)' could not be
> registered because it was not found.
> *** ERROR: (User Responded with 'OK')

> WHAT IS CAUSING THIS !!!

> I am using ACCESS JET for the database and the following standard
controls
> are in the application.

> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"
> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCAL.OCX"
> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TABCTL32.OCX"
> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.OCX"

> I included the MFC40.DLL and MSVSRT40.DLL's too.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,

> John

John:

I've run into the exact same problem.  Please let me know if you find the
solution.

Vin W.

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Setup Wizard VB5 URGENT Guru's Please Help

What operating system are you trying to install the software on 95a, 95b, or
NT 4.0

Quote:

> I have used the setup wizard to create distribution diskettes in the past
> and have come across a painful problem.  The setup kit builds the
> distribution set but when I attempt to install the newly created
> application, I receive an error near the end of the install process.  The
> ST5UNST.xxx log file has the following

> ....More above this....
> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"
> (File currently on disk was already up to date)
> ....More above this....
> ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
> Shared\DAO\DAO350.DLL"

> ACTION: DllSelfRegister: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"

> *** ERROR: The file 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\$(DLLSelfRegisterEx)' could not be
> registered because it was not found.
> *** ERROR: (User Responded with 'OK')

> WHAT IS CAUSING THIS !!!

> I am using ACCESS JET for the database and the following standard controls
> are in the application.

> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMCTL32.OCX"
> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSCAL.OCX"
> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TABCTL32.OCX"
> ACTION: SharedFile: "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\COMDLG32.OCX"

> I included the MFC40.DLL and MSVSRT40.DLL's too.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks in advance,

> John

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Setup Wizard VB5 URGENT Guru's Please Help

Having re-read you question, I would say that the problem is with the
dep file of COMCTL32.OCX, rather than the MSCAL.OCX (which was my
problem today).

Try not including it, and manually copying it over and registering it.

Tue, 26 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Setup Wizard VB5 URGENT Guru's Please Help

Developing on and installing on Windows 95A with SP1 and Kernel update
complete.  Other target installations may be Windows95B.

Quote:
> What operating system are you trying to install the software on 95a, 95b,
or
> NT 4.0

Sun, 01 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Setup Wizard VB5 URGENT Guru's Please Help

Hi,

Found the problem.
Using MSCAL.OCX, the Setup Wizard creates an entry for the install in the
SETUP.LST and this OCX has the DLLSelfRegisterEx parameter on it.  There is
no dependency file for this control so I don't know why the setup wizard
would even think this is an Executable file type.  I simply changed the
flag to DLLSelfRegister and got rid of the "Ex" and it works fine.
I used the Wizard to generate a dependency file and sure enough, the "Ex"
was created too!  I edited the MSCAL.DEP file and will see if all is well
on the next build.

Sorry for the urgency.

John

Sun, 01 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Please help---can't get vb3 setup wizard to create subdirectories

2. VB5 Application Setup Wizard Help - Please !

3. Setup Wizard Please help with VB5 DLLSELFREGISTEREX error during install

4. VB5 language-specific Setup Wizard - please help

5. URGENT - SetUp Wizard lost it's mind!!!

6. VB5's Setup Wizard

7. VB5's Setup Wizard

8. URGENT HELP needed with VB4 Install Setup Wizard!

9. GURU'S URGENT HELP REQ!!

10. VB5 Setup Wizard - internet download setup

11. GPF running SETUP.EXE that VB5 Setup Wizard created

12. Internet Download-Setup with VB5 Setup Wizard