Need help printing LARGE reports with VB3.0 and Crystal Reports 4.5
Author Message
 Need help printing LARGE reports with VB3.0 and Crystal Reports 4.5

  We are having a problem printing a report for an application
submition program our department has produced.  We are using VB 3.0 Pro
with Crystal Reports 4.5.
  What has happened is that the application program generates
applications which are quite large.  Easily approaching several hundred
pages.  When the entire application was sent, the printer choked on the
report.  It was then decided to break the report down into seperate
sections.  Then each section would be cued seperatly.  This seems like
it should have solved the problem.  However, now we are experiencing
bigger, better problems.
  The main report is now being broken into appoximatly thirty seperate
sections.  Three main sections, each containing several subsections.  The
problem we are having is that the jobs aren't being cued in the proper
order.  When the report is printed the many different subsections come
out in random order.  The problem does not appear to be unique to our
system either, as several of the end users have complained about the
randomness of the output.  This is understandable, as some of the
applications can be quite large, manually sorting them is a nightmare.
Oh, almost forgot to mention the obvious problem of having other print
jobs slip in between application subsections.
  What we are looking for is a way to send this large application in order.
Ideally, without the possiblity of other jobs slipping in during printing.
We'd like to be able to give the end users the ability to print out the
application and send as is, without sorting.  Does anyone have any
experience printing large databases using Crystal Reports?  Can anyone
suggest other programs which might be able to the the job better then
Crystal Reports?  Also, if there isn't a way to send the whole database,
is there a way to make sure that the database subsections are sent in order?
Is the some way each subsection can report that it is finished so the next
job can be cued?

Many thanks,
Steve Brague

Fri, 05 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help printing LARGE reports with VB3.0 and Crystal Reports 4.5

Quote:

>Subject: Need help printing LARGE reports with VB3.0 and Crystal Reports 4.5
>Date: 18 Dec 1995 20:44:43 GMT
>  We are having a problem printing a report for an application
>submition program our department has produced.  We are using VB 3.0 Pro
>with Crystal Reports 4.5.
>  What has happened is that the application program generates
>applications which are quite large.  Easily approaching several hundred
>pages.  When the entire application was sent, the printer choked on the
>report.

How did the printer choke?  Buffer too full, ran out of buffer space on the
network?

Quote:
> It was then decided to break the report down into seperate
>sections.  Then each section would be cued seperatly.  This seems like
>it should have solved the problem.  However, now we are experiencing
>bigger, better problems.
>  The main report is now being broken into appoximatly thirty seperate
>sections.  Three main sections, each containing several subsections.  The
>problem we are having is that the jobs aren't being cued in the proper
>order.  When the report is printed the many different subsections come
>out in random order.  The problem does not appear to be unique to our
>system either, as several of the end users have complained about the
>randomness of the output.  This is understandable, as some of the
>applications can be quite large, manually sorting them is a nightmare.
>Oh, almost forgot to mention the obvious problem of having other print
>jobs slip in between application subsections.

< snip>

Is this being printed on a networked printer?  This sounds like a networking
problem.  You want to talk to your network administrator and ask him/her if
they can set up a print job that you can use, that won't print until you
release it.  There are ways to do this on Novell.  I would bet that there is a
way to do it on NT also.  If you want to print it as one report, you might
need to increase the buffer space if it is on a network.  Can you post more
info on your hardware setup.  I might be able to help you further if you do
this.

Hope this helps.

John M. Berg

Sat, 06 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Need help printing LARGE reports with VB3.0 and Crystal Reports 4.5
  Ok, yeah, our computers are networked.  Problem is I'm not sure how the print
queue is networked to our computers.  I know that we don't control the print queue
locally at our office.  Each time the printer chokes we need to call another
department to reset the spool.  I'll ask around and see how they've connected our
computers to our printers.  Be kinda neat to see how many hoops we need to jump
through just to get a print job done.
  Also, the problems of the files being printed out of order is not isolated to our
particular system.  Several clients using the application have complained (Quite
loudly) about this problem.  I'm sure that we can't all be using the same backwards
system that our department has been stuck with.
  Our programmer is calling Crystal Reports with our problem, no response back from
them yet.

Many thanks,
Steve

Sun, 07 Jun 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Need help printing LARGE reports with vb3.0 and Crystal Reports

2. Printing the Print Time Using Crystal Reports 4.5

3. Help is needed for Crystal Report 4.5

4. need help with crystal report 4.5

5. Printing Crystal Reports report help needed

6. Bound Reports Crystal Reports 4.5 Pro

7. Crystal Reports 4.5 printing prob.

8. FS: Crystal Reports Pro 4.5, Standard 4.5

9. Crystal Reports 4.5 ... Help Access Security

10. Crystal Reports 4.5 to Seagate Crystal Info 6.0 API

11. Printing Crystal Reports without Crystal Control ActiveX or Crystal Reports API call

12. printing without crystal report or data report for non data base reports