Callingl a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)
Author Message
 Callingl a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)

I have a 16-Bit DLL, and calling it at the moment from my VB4.0 (16-Bit).
I want to upgrade to VB5 or 6, but the DLL ist not available at 32-Bit.

Has anyone an idea ???

Thanks for  your IDEAS

        ANDI

=================================

Sun, 12 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Callingl a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)
You can use the WOW Thunking Layer.  It takes some work, but it will
get you where you want to be.

If you can get to the VBPJ archives on www.windx.com there is a good
article in the August 96 issue, called "Programming 16-bit In A 32-bit
World."

Get the code sample there.

HTH,

Pete Conlin

This is a direct link to the web doc...

http://www.devx.com/premier/mgznarch/vbpj/1996/08aug96/wprogcol.pdf

Quote:

>I have a 16-Bit DLL, and calling it at the moment from my VB4.0 (16-Bit).
>I want to upgrade to VB5 or 6, but the DLL ist not available at 32-Bit.

>Has anyone an idea ???

>Thanks for  your IDEAS

>        ANDI

>=================================

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Callingl a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)
Hi ANDI

I once had  to do the kind of stuff you are trying to do and it's easier
than what it seems. You need to build an ActiveX Server under VB4.0 16-bits
that encapsulates the access to the 16-bits DLL. Then all you have to do is
create an instance of the ActiveX Server under VB5.0 and use it's methods.
Easy stuff.

COM (Active X, OLE Automation, whatever the name) does the magic of handling
16 bit -32 bit compatibility for you.

What's more, I used this technique to call 32 bits DLL's from VB3.0. Would
you believe it?

Hope this helps
Alberto Gaona
Sinapsis
Mexico

Quote:

>I have a 16-Bit DLL, and calling it at the moment from my VB4.0 (16-Bit).
>I want to upgrade to VB5 or 6, but the DLL ist not available at 32-Bit.

>Has anyone an idea ???

>Thanks for  your IDEAS

>        ANDI

>=================================

Mon, 13 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Callingl a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)
Hi,

Re: Calling a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)

I want to do a similar thing with VB5 and CodeBase 1.2
I want to call the CodeBase 1.2 DLLs from VB5.  They seem
to be incompatible straight up, cause I presume they are 16 bit.
I also want to do it with an old VBTOOLS DLLs 16 bit version.
Can I use this same technique as described.
I would be most happy if you could help me here .
In fact I would be over the moon.

Thanks
Dave

>Hi ANDI

>I once had  to do the kind of stuff you are trying to do and it's easier
>than what it seems. You need to build an ActiveX Server under VB4.0 16-bits
>that encapsulates the access to the 16-bits DLL. Then all you have to do is
>create an instance of the ActiveX Server under VB5.0 and use it's methods.
>Easy stuff.

>COM (Active X, OLE Automation, whatever the name) does the magic of
handling
>16 bit -32 bit compatibility for you.

>What's more, I used this technique to call 32 bits DLL's from VB3.0. Would
>you believe it?

>Hope this helps
>Alberto Gaona
>Sinapsis
>Mexico

>>I have a 16-Bit DLL, and calling it at the moment from my VB4.0 (16-Bit).
>>I want to upgrade to VB5 or 6, but the DLL ist not available at 32-Bit.

>>Has anyone an idea ???

>>Thanks for  your IDEAS

>>        ANDI

>>=================================

Fri, 17 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Callingl a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)
just dont expect your app to run in Win98. It's not like NT.

Quote:
>I have a 16-Bit DLL, and calling it at the moment from my VB4.0 (16-Bit).
>I want to upgrade to VB5 or 6, but the DLL ist not available at 32-Bit.

>Has anyone an idea ???

>Thanks for  your IDEAS

>        ANDI

>=================================

Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Callingl a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)
if you use Flat-Thunks you can do it in W9X as well.
Flat-Thunking is documented in the MSDN-Library.
Flat-Thunking is available only on W9X under NT
you have to use the thunking mechanism described
earlier in this thread.

Leo Bores schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:
>just dont expect your app to run in Win98. It's not like NT.

>>I have a 16-Bit DLL, and calling it at the moment from my VB4.0 (16-Bit).
>>I want to upgrade to VB5 or 6, but the DLL ist not available at 32-Bit.

>>Has anyone an idea ???

>>Thanks for  your IDEAS

>>        ANDI

>>=================================

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Callingl a 16-bit DLL from VB5 or 6 (32-Bit)

2. Calling 16 bit DLL's in VB5 ENV(32 bit)

3. 16 bit dll's in VB5.0 (32 bit) apps

4. Using 16 bit dlls in 32 bit VB5.0 - Help needed please

5. 16 bit dll and 32 bit dll

6. Migrating 16-bit ODBC DLL (SQLServer) to 32-bit ODBC DLL (MS Access)

7. 8-bit, 16-bit & 32-bit Colour

8. HELP: VB4-16 bit to VB5-32 bit problem

9. VB4 (16 Bit) => VB5 (32 Bit)

10. Converting a VB4.0 16 Bit app to VB5 32 bit

11. A QUESTION: 16-bit VB4 to 32-bit VB5