VB & Win2k
Author Message
 VB & Win2k

hi folks...
recently i managed to write my first program using vb. it's a word
manipulation program (56 k in size). when i run it on my machine(win 98
128MB ram) it seems to run properly. however one of my alpha testers with
win 2k has told me that it freezes his compuer or essentially crashes it. i
was also told that it cannt handle bigger that 3 MB of file sizes(some
windows machines). since i'm very new to programing in general and vb in
particular i would very much appreciate any help on this and how to avoid.
also about any compatibility issues

regards

Tue, 11 May 2004 16:01:40 GMT
 VB & Win2k
besthacker:

You definitely need to provide more details.  Some questions that need
answering:

1. What version of VB are you using?
2. When you say that "it cannt handle bigger that 3 MB of file sizes," what
exactly do you mean by "it?"  VB, Win2K or something else?  I don't know of any
3MB file restrictions on any version of VB or any version of Windows.
3. What are you attempting to do?
4. When your program freezes or crashes on the Win2K machine, can you tell how
far along your program has progressed?  In other words, have you isolated or at
least partially isolated the section of code which might be causing the
freeze/crash?  If you can't run the de{*filter*}/IDE on the problem machine, you
can place MSGBOX statements at strategic points within your program.

chris judge

Quote:

> hi folks...
> recently i managed to write my first program using vb. it's a word
> manipulation program (56 k in size). when i run it on my machine(win 98
> 128MB ram) it seems to run properly. however one of my alpha testers with
> win 2k has told me that it freezes his compuer or essentially crashes it. i
> was also told that it cannt handle bigger that 3 MB of file sizes(some
> windows machines). since i'm very new to programing in general and vb in
> particular i would very much appreciate any help on this and how to avoid.
> also about any compatibility issues

> regards

Tue, 11 May 2004 14:05:17 GMT
 VB & Win2k
well i'm using the standard vb6...as to the win2k there are two cases as i
understand where it causes problems. first by loading and second when
opening the dialog box. again it runs really smoothe on my win98 but i was
told by alpha tester with the same OS that he couldnt load big files
although he has enough RAM. i must admit that when opening wordlist files
myself, if they are relatively big, it get a bit sluggish(sometimes
freezes)...i would like to know why considering the available RAM is far
greater than the opened file and things i have to look for when designing
programs. also whether there is any known incompatibility issue with any MS
OS versions when developing programs on a WIN98 platform.
again it seems the dialogbox that is causing some trouble sometimes (by big
files). please let me know if you need any further info as i dont know what
else to provide since this is my 1st program and has really  not much to it
than the simple vb code

thnx

Wed, 12 May 2004 03:56:10 GMT
 VB & Win2k
besthacker:

I still don't have a clear picture of what you are trying to do.  You state
that the problem occurs during two situations:

1. when loading (loading the program?  loading the dialog box? loading a file?
into what?)
2. when displaying the dialog box (which dialog box? a standard dialog box or a
custom one of your own?)

You then state that you get sluggish performance when opening a wordlist file.
What is a wordlist file?  And when you say that you get sluggish performance
when opening such a file, do you mean that the OPEN statement is taking a long
time or do you mean that once you have opened the file and loaded the file's
contents into something, you then get slow performance while using your
program?

There are many capable people willing to help you on this newsgroup, but they
can't help until they understand what you are trying to do.  For example, there
are several standard dialog boxes (file open, file save, printer, color
selection, font selection) plus countless custom dialog boxes.  When you talk
about a dialog box, you must tell us what kind of dialog box you are using and
what it does.  It's as if I asked you to help me figure out why my appliance is
not working.  I could be referring to my TV or my VCR or my dishwasher or my
toaster oven.  Once you determine that I am asking about my dishwasher, you
still need to know how it is failing.  A simple description like "the dishes
are not getting clean" is not enough to diagnose the problem.  It could be that
the water is not getting hot (maybe the real problem is with my water heater),
it could be that the soap dish is not dispensing soap at the right time, it
could be that the machine is not plugged in.

The general idea I am trying to convey here is that diagnosis of a complex
system requires detailed information about the problem.  All I know about your
problem is that you are "loading" some sort of files into some sort of system
and that you sometimes get sluggush performance and you sometimes get a
lock-up.

chris judge

Quote:

> well i'm using the standard vb6...as to the win2k there are two cases as i
> understand where it causes problems. first by loading and second when
> opening the dialog box. again it runs really smoothe on my win98 but i was
> told by alpha tester with the same OS that he couldnt load big files
> although he has enough RAM. i must admit that when opening wordlist files
> myself, if they are relatively big, it get a bit sluggish(sometimes
> freezes)...i would like to know why considering the available RAM is far
> greater than the opened file and things i have to look for when designing
> programs. also whether there is any known incompatibility issue with any MS
> OS versions when developing programs on a WIN98 platform.
> again it seems the dialogbox that is causing some trouble sometimes (by big
> files). please let me know if you need any further info as i dont know what
> else to provide since this is my 1st program and has really  not much to it
> than the simple vb code

> thnx

Fri, 14 May 2004 07:43:18 GMT
 VB & Win2k
dear chris...
i highly appreciate your effort to help...let me try again:

i'm running a win98 with 128MB ram using vb6. the problem is not the program
itself but the generic M$ commondialogbox. my problem are two things. the
manipulation (see above) and the locking of the program when trying to open
(load) a file or save a big file(6 MB or more) (let's say a user:pass kind
of thing you find on authentication servers). as mentioned above there seems
to be some kind of a limit on how big a file you may be allowed to
open-display in textbox...do you have any info on that and if yes what trick
is there to being able to open(load into memory and display) in textbox or
listbox maybe?

also...are there generally any issues that have to be taken into
consideration when you program on a win98 as far as other OS are
concerened?...put differently  ...are all M$ OS are compatible with VB6 ? or
differently asked..me as newbie programmer on a win98 what do i have to do
to make my programs work properly across all windows platforms ?

thnx for any help

Sat, 15 May 2004 06:38:59 GMT
 VB & Win2k

Quote:
> what do i have to do to make my programs work properly
> across all windows platforms ?

Pray!

Maureen

Fri, 14 May 2004 22:46:03 GMT
 VB & Win2k

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VB & Win2k

Sat, 15 May 2004 09:24:45 GMT
 VB & Win2k

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 VB & Win2k
On Sun, 25 Nov 2001 23:43:18 GMT, Chris Judge

Quote:

>What is a wordlist file?  And when you say that you get sluggish performance

A wordlist is commonly used to brute force hack passwords.
I've found that NT has a sluggishness problem when allocating memory
repetatively (i belive 2K is loosely based on NT ?) . Win98 can handle
that much better. There was a thread some time back too, where the
difference on a certain posted code took 10 seconds on 98, but over a
minute on NT.  Pre allocating in larger chunks seems to help.

If the OP has an allocation problem like that he should consider using
chunks. Instead of loading up the whole 3meg file, just load in 30Ks
of it, work with it and replace it with the next 30K chunk. If that
fixes the problem then start playing with the numbers.

Regards, Frank

Sat, 15 May 2004 02:29:47 GMT

1. VB & Access on Win2k

2. VB 6.0 & Win2k

3. FileName & Win2K

4. Access exits at PCs with Op.Syst.Win2K Prof./Win2k Server

5. User rights,Win2k&Word97 problem

6. VB6 developed on win2k, but deployed on winME&95 problem

7. VB6 developed on win2k, but deploy on winME&95 problem

8. ASP & Win2K Professional

9. VB5, ActiveX & Win2K

10. VB6 Web Dev & Win2K

11. winsock & win2k