LEARN SQL AND SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TIME
Author Message
 LEARN SQL AND SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TIME

I see a lot of posts on here regarding questions that can be solved by use of SQL.

SQL is a very powerful language in itself. Remember you can create, and completely control a database with SQL including all conditional updates.

As a language SQL has 2 major components:

DDL or Data Definition Language. This is what creates the structure of the database, i.e CREATE TABLE statements.

DML or Data Manipulation Language. This is what controls the data within the database, i.e SELECT statements etc.

There is a lot to creating and controlling a good, solid database that VB cannot do for you.

LEARN SQL, BELIEVE ME IT IS A STRONG LANGUAGE.

Anyone needs any help with databases get this book:

Database Systems, A Practical Approach to Design, Implementation and Management.  Written by Thomas Connolly, Carolyn Begg, and Anne Strachan. Published by Addison and Wesley. ISBN 0-201-34287-1

This is a fantastic book if you are serious about developing databases.
It also covers database web technologies for those who need to know about DSN connections.

Wed, 18 Jun 1902 08:00:00 GMT
 LEARN SQL AND SAVE YOURSELF A LOT OF TIME
Merlin,

I agree with your advice about SQL, but the book (at least for this
American) would not be in my top ten.

My guess is that you are a Brit, correct?  The book uses what I am told are
Briticisms such as "tuples", etc.  That alone should put off most folks on
this side of the pond.

I cannot say that I read the whole thing but I did go over a couple of
chapters of interest to me and found the book's advice to be fine for the
ivory tower, but not practical in my experience.  All those
Entity-Relationship Diagrams!  If I followed the advice in that book I would
never be on-time or on-budget.

And for $61.00 (street price) you would expect a better index.

Admittedly I didn't read the whole thing, but I think the academics will
love it and the practicing programmers will find it less utilitarian. Of
course, this is just my opinion and your mileage may vary.

I appologize for the dissent.  If I didn't have such a strong opinion about
the book I would have remained silent, but I wouldn't want my brother (and
sister) VBers to spend that kind of money and be burdened with (IMO) such
unrealistic advice.

That's my two pence.  Anyone else seen this book?

Michael

[...]

1. Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days.

2. Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days.

3. Teach Yourself SQL in 21 Days.

4. Daylight saving - winter time - summer time - time zone

5. Daylight saving - winter time - summer time - time zone

6. Daylight saving - winter time - summer time - time zone

7. Save icon help (I help you lot enough)

8. adding lots and lots of pictures to the executable

9. Lots and Lots of Controls slow things down....

10. while not eof taking lot of time

11. Best way to run lots of SQL commands?

12. SQL and Access......lots of help needed!