Writing programs for a Microsoft Network without worrying about TCP/IP and IPX/SPX
Author Message
 Writing programs for a Microsoft Network without worrying about TCP/IP and IPX/SPX

    I'm writing a client program and a corresponding server program that
runs strictly on Microsoft Networks. I need the programs to communicate
using TCP/IP and IPX/SPX. Its not important that they communication
between the two computers be very fast. Currently I'm using the
Microsoft Winsock control for TCP/IP communication and I don't know what
I'm going to use for IPX/SPX. I would like the person using the client
to interface with the server program in the same way that a person
interfacing with a typical Microsoft Network would. For example, using
NetBios names instead of IP addresses and using controls like the ones
in Network Neighborhood. Is there a way for two programs to communicate
on a Microsoft Network where you don't have to worry about TCP/IP  and
IPX/SPX and just let windows figure out which protocol to use. I read
that there is a NetBios layer on top of Microsoft TCP/IP. Is there a way
to use this layer to do other things besides file transferes like
sending strings of data from one computer to another. I would also like
to get all the information that Network Neighborhood displays into my
program. The DirListBox can't accessing anything but drives and mapped
drives.
Thanks in advanced

Fri, 23 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
[...]

Sorry about all those posts. My client kept acting like my post would never
completely send so I kept resending it.

Sun, 25 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Send Ipx/spx or tcp/ip data Packet with/without winapi

2. Make a program to talk to each other through (coax)-network (tcp/ip)

3. tcp/ip and or ipx for quickbasic 4.5

4. Remote access/control of another computer thru TCP/IP or IPX

5. Setting the Gateway IP (in TCP/IP Settings) via program

6. I need help on programming TCP/IP with VB directly into the program

7. How program TCP/IP programs

8. How to program TCP/IP programs

9. VB Source code for TCP/IP without OCXs just released

10. HTTP without TCP/IP ?

11. Ethernet without TCP/IP

12. Programming For an IPX Network