ListView help needed.....
Author Message
 ListView help needed.....

I'm using a VB6 Listview control in report mode to display an unbound array
of data. (Actually, I'm displaying properties of a 3rd party Active-x
control; Other controls such as the FlexGrid or DBGrid don't provide the
look and functionality I need to display and sort this data)

The problem is, I may have as many as 12,000 rows with 8 sub-items each,
which is far beyond the ListView control's memory capacity. I'm looking for
some code which will dynamically load and unload the control as required
when it is scrolled, similar to the DBGrid's Unbound mode.

Any help?

Thanks in advance....

Craig S.

Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ListView help needed.....
Sorry Craig ,
No Code.  Sounds like the sort of UI which any and all users will love to
hate!
Isn't there any way to break this into some sort of hierarchy?  Maybe a
Treeview?
You could devise a Load on Demand method for both and keep the memreq down.
As a user I would hunt you down and put you out of my misery if you were to
make
me scroll 12000 rows in a grid, a listbox, a Listview etc!!! I bet it takes
a long time
to do nothing before it finally dies too!!!  I would SERIOUSLY advise
rethinking your
data display metaphor! -)     Do you put up a progress bar when your LV is
<RANT>
UI's like this {*filter*}are going to{*filter*}us all! Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
Anyone???
Damn my right hand and wrist hurts All the F# time {*filter*}y scrollbars!!
</RANT>
Neila

BTW, F Balena's book (Programming Visual Basic 6 ) has some really nice
Treeview and
Listview Code.  Go buy it NOW.  I ordered mine from Amazon.com before it was
even published!
Worth the price just for his treatment of the Common Controls to say nothing
of Objects and Classes!
There is specific code for doing the DataBase thang.. Yawnnn

Quote:

>I'm using a VB6 Listview control in report mode to display an unbound array
>of data. (Actually, I'm displaying properties of a 3rd party Active-x
>control; Other controls such as the FlexGrid or DBGrid don't provide the
>look and functionality I need to display and sort this data)

>The problem is, I may have as many as 12,000 rows with 8 sub-items each,
>which is far beyond the ListView control's memory capacity. I'm looking for
>some code which will dynamically load and unload the control as required
>when it is scrolled, similar to the DBGrid's Unbound mode.

>Any help?

>Thanks in advance....

>Craig S.

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ListView help needed.....
Neila,

:-) The interface I'm working on isn't that bad....I know better than to
create a data entry program or editor using something like this!  I need
this simply as a fast viewer for many items....and I'm not using it unless I
can get the performance where I want.....thus the message.....

Craig S.

Quote:

>Sorry Craig ,
>No Code.  Sounds like the sort of UI which any and all users will love to
>hate!
>Isn't there any way to break this into some sort of hierarchy?  Maybe a
>Treeview?
>You could devise a Load on Demand method for both and keep the memreq down.
>As a user I would hunt you down and put you out of my misery if you were to
>make
>me scroll 12000 rows in a grid, a listbox, a Listview etc!!! I bet it takes
>a long time
>to do nothing before it finally dies too!!!  I would SERIOUSLY advise
>rethinking your
>data display metaphor! -)     Do you put up a progress bar when your LV is
><RANT>
>UI's like this {*filter*}are going to{*filter*}us all! Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
>Anyone???
>Damn my right hand and wrist hurts All the F# time {*filter*}y scrollbars!!
></RANT>
>Neila

>BTW, F Balena's book (Programming Visual Basic 6 ) has some really nice
>Treeview and
>Listview Code.  Go buy it NOW.  I ordered mine from Amazon.com before it
was
>even published!
>Worth the price just for his treatment of the Common Controls to say
nothing
>of Objects and Classes!
>There is specific code for doing the DataBase thang.. Yawnnn

>>I'm using a VB6 Listview control in report mode to display an unbound
array
>>of data. (Actually, I'm displaying properties of a 3rd party Active-x
>>control; Other controls such as the FlexGrid or DBGrid don't provide the
>>look and functionality I need to display and sort this data)

>>The problem is, I may have as many as 12,000 rows with 8 sub-items each,
>>which is far beyond the ListView control's memory capacity. I'm looking
for
>>some code which will dynamically load and unload the control as required
>>when it is scrolled, similar to the DBGrid's Unbound mode.

>>Any help?

>>Thanks in advance....

>>Craig S.

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ListView help needed.....
Craig,
Something like this is DEFINITELY doable.  BUT You DEFINITELY need an
alternative to scrolling ;-).
I just did a search on Virtual & Listview at deja.com and got a truckload of
Delphi hits ;-)  I have seen
code which does a Virtual Listbox but cannot remember where. Either
McKinney, Balena or MandelBrotSet Adv VB.  Posssibly also Karl Peterson's
site off of www.mvps.org..... If I run into it again or the virtual
brain-cramp goes away I might drop you a note about it.  Maybe there is some
3P control lurking in the
bowels of the web which does this ;-) ???    If a Treeview is OK I know
balena does that in the Book and CD.
I have also seen code of Brad Martinez which does a virtual Treeview load
also off of the www.mvps.org root .
Also, I just saw this.  I don't have time to look into it but if you don't
mind soiling your paws with the Win API it
http://www.*-*-*.com/
um=48
looks like Windows might take care of much of the messy details for you.  So
I would conclude after this that
1. The windows API supports this directly if you create the treeview
yourself and deal with all of the baggage
that entails (see EnumDeckVB at Brad's site for a preview of the happy
horrors which await you ;-)
2. Delphi has a more or less direct kaboom on the matter (from the number of
D hits I got !)
3. It would be *NICE*!!! HELLO MICROSOFT ARE YOU LISTENING!!!!  if the VB7
LV had a Virtual mode ;-)))
I got to this from a search on ListView & Virtual (944 hits!!!)... Take it
from there and Please!!!  REPORT BACK to
the news group(s) on your findings -Post to this subject- !!!  I would like
to know how to do this and have
some ideas about UI search techniques which have a low CTS score !
Neila

Quote:

>Neila,

>:-) The interface I'm working on isn't that bad....I know better than to
>create a data entry program or editor using something like this!  I need
>this simply as a fast viewer for many items....and I'm not using it unless
>can get the performance where I want.....thus the message.....

>Craig S.

>>Sorry Craig ,
>>No Code.  Sounds like the sort of UI which any and all users will love to
>>hate!
>>Isn't there any way to break this into some sort of hierarchy?  Maybe a
>>Treeview?
>>You could devise a Load on Demand method for both and keep the memreq
down.
>>As a user I would hunt you down and put you out of my misery if you were
>>make
>>me scroll 12000 rows in a grid, a listbox, a Listview etc!!! I bet it
takes
>>a long time
>>to do nothing before it finally dies too!!!  I would SERIOUSLY advise
>>rethinking your
>>data display metaphor! -)     Do you put up a progress bar when your LV is
>><RANT>
>>UI's like this {*filter*}are going to{*filter*}us all! Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
>>Anyone???
>>Damn my right hand and wrist hurts All the F# time {*filter*}y scrollbars!!
>></RANT>
>>Neila

>>BTW, F Balena's book (Programming Visual Basic 6 ) has some really nice
>>Treeview and
>>Listview Code.  Go buy it NOW.  I ordered mine from Amazon.com before it
>was
>>even published!
>>Worth the price just for his treatment of the Common Controls to say
>nothing
>>of Objects and Classes!
>>There is specific code for doing the DataBase thang.. Yawnnn

>>>I'm using a VB6 Listview control in report mode to display an unbound
>array
>>>of data. (Actually, I'm displaying properties of a 3rd party Active-x
>>>control; Other controls such as the FlexGrid or DBGrid don't provide the
>>>look and functionality I need to display and sort this data)

>>>The problem is, I may have as many as 12,000 rows with 8 sub-items each,
>>>which is far beyond the ListView control's memory capacity. I'm looking
>for
>>>some code which will dynamically load and unload the control as required
>>>when it is scrolled, similar to the DBGrid's Unbound mode.

>>>Any help?

>>>Thanks in advance....

>>>Craig S.

Wed, 27 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ListView help needed.....
Thanks for the help Neila...I'll check it out and let you know what I come
up with....

Quote:

> [...]

>>>data display metaphor! -)     Do you put up a progress bar when your LV
is
>>><RANT>
>>>UI's like this {*filter*}are going to{*filter*}us all! Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
>>>Anyone???
>>>Damn my right hand and wrist hurts All the F# time {*filter*}y scrollbars!!
>>></RANT>
>>>Neila

>>>BTW, F Balena's book (Programming Visual Basic 6 ) has some really nice
>>>Treeview and
>>>Listview Code.  Go buy it NOW.  I ordered mine from Amazon.com before it
>>was
>>>even published!
>>>Worth the price just for his treatment of the Common Controls to say
>>nothing
>>>of Objects and Classes!
>>>There is specific code for doing the DataBase thang.. Yawnnn

Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ListView help needed.....
:-)     I think Neila is certifiable..... that makes him (her?) a very
valuable resource......

Thanks again Neila....!!!

Quote:

> [...]

>>>data display metaphor! -)     Do you put up a progress bar when your LV
is
>>><RANT>
>>>UI's like this {*filter*}are going to{*filter*}us all! Carpel Tunnel Syndrome
>>>Anyone???
>>>Damn my right hand and wrist hurts All the F# time {*filter*}y scrollbars!!
>>></RANT>
>>>Neila

>>>BTW, F Balena's book (Programming Visual Basic 6 ) has some really nice
>>>Treeview and
>>>Listview Code.  Go buy it NOW.  I ordered mine from Amazon.com before it
>>was
>>>even published!
>>>Worth the price just for his treatment of the Common Controls to say
>>nothing
>>>of Objects and Classes!
>>>There is specific code for doing the DataBase thang.. Yawnnn

Thu, 28 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB6 ListView Help Needed

2. Listview help needed here!

3. ListView help needed

4. Listview Help Needed!

5. Checkboxes within a listview - help needed

6. Newbie Needs Help with ListView--Error Message

7. Urgent expert help needed. Listview sorting using callback

8. Need help scrolling a listview programmatically

9. LISTVIEW - NEED HELP NOW

10. HELP! Need a ListView example

11. Need help with ListView Control in VB5

12. Need help subclassing ListView control