Winsock workaround to bug ?
Author Message
 Winsock workaround to bug ?

The Microsoft winsock control has a documented bug (ref "Q245159 - BUG:
Winsock Control SendData Only Works Over the Latest Connection" in their
knowledge base) when used as a control array. Since there was no workaround
documented, has anyone come up with a solid method to assure the SendData()
method does send the data when using a winsock control array? I did try to
use a timer to force a second SendData() in order to send a NULL character
(or
something that does not affect the client), but this seems to create
problems keeping a connection.

In my case, this bug has seemed to come up if more than one client expects
a message from the host at the same time. If my clients are operating at
staggered intervals, so the SendData() is servicing a single client to
completion at a time, everything seems very robust. As soon as I force more
than one client to a mode where they both expect a responce, only one gets
the results. I'm guessing that it is only an issue if a second control
event fires prior to a previous one having completed all the code that
services it (???).

If I have to, I'll have to buy a 3rd party control and would like any
suggestions
as to what product(s) to investigate?

I'm hoping someone can suggest a solid workaround (API or something) for
the MS control. Any ideas?

Regards,

Jeff Tepe

Sun, 30 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Winsock workaround to bug ?
Hi Jeff,

Hi Jeff,

There is no problem like that with our free SocketWrench control. If
you download our SocketWrench package from www.catalyst.com take a
look at the included Echo program as an example of doing what you
want.

David

Quote:

>The Microsoft winsock control has a documented bug (ref "Q245159 - BUG:
>Winsock Control SendData Only Works Over the Latest Connection" in their
>knowledge base) when used as a control array. Since there was no workaround
>documented, has anyone come up with a solid method to assure the SendData()
>method does send the data when using a winsock control array? I did try to
>use a timer to force a second SendData() in order to send a NULL character
>(or
>something that does not affect the client), but this seems to create
>problems keeping a connection.

>In my case, this bug has seemed to come up if more than one client expects
>a message from the host at the same time. If my clients are operating at
>staggered intervals, so the SendData() is servicing a single client to
>completion at a time, everything seems very robust. As soon as I force more
>than one client to a mode where they both expect a responce, only one gets
>the results. I'm guessing that it is only an issue if a second control
>event fires prior to a previous one having completed all the code that
>services it (???).

>If I have to, I'll have to buy a 3rd party control and would like any
>suggestions
>as to what product(s) to investigate?

>I'm hoping someone can suggest a solid workaround (API or something) for
>the MS control. Any ideas?

>Regards,

>Jeff Tepe

Tue, 02 Jul 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. BUG: Workaround for cool menu accelerator bug?

2. Workaround for bug in delegate permissions?

3. UserForm bug - is there a workaround?

4. VB .Net Bug & workaround

5. WARNING! Bug in MS workaround for DBCombo

6. VB6 DataCombo update bug & workaround

7. Bug - Workaround Needed VB 6 SP5

8. VB6 err 438 bug workaround?

9. Modal form Bug workaround

10. Workaround for Crystal's PrintDate Bug

11. WARNING! Bug in MS workaround for DBCombo

12. VB4 Printer object bug workaround