ActiveX exe failures [long]
Author Message
 ActiveX exe failures [long]

Hi

I have a problem with an out of process ActiveX exe.

The exe contains two methods, that simply call two DLL's. The call to
the ActiveX exe is made from a Visual Basic 5 program, and everything
works fine on the development machine.

However, when installing on another machine without the development
environment  the program completely fails, or so it appears, with the
error message :

----
Method "~" of Object "~" failed.
----

No references to the object or method, just "~".

Now, the DLLs function correctly, they have been thoroughly tested and
are not at fault. However, when being called via the ActiveX exe's
methods, the first call to the first DLL is fine, and the Second
begins, but then crashes with the error above.

It all points to the second call to the DLL "Travel", but I know this
DLL functions faultlessly when called from a normal VB app, using the
same declarations etc.

Heres the ActiveX exe code (its very short)

Private Declare Sub BEAMGEN Lib "bglib.dll" (ByRef coords As Double,
ByRef parts As Integer, ByRef flag As Integer)

Private Declare Sub TRAVEL Lib "trlib.dll" (ByRef coords As Double,
noelem As Integer)

Public Sub pathcoords(pathcoords As Variant, noelem As Integer, error
As Boolean)
    On Error GoTo error
    ReDim temp(1 To noelem, 1 To 8, 1 To 5000) As Double
    Call TRAVEL(temp(1, 1, 1), noelem)
    pathcoords = temp
    error = False
Exit Sub
error:
     x = MsgBox("An error occured in travel", vbOKOnly, "error")
     error = True
     pathcoords = Empty
End Sub

Public Sub beamcoords(beamcoords As Variant, parts As Integer, error
As Boolean)
    On Error GoTo error
    ReDim temp(1 To 8, 1 To 5000) As Double
    Call BEAMGEN(temp(1, 1), parts, 1)
    beamcoords = temp
    error = False
Exit Sub
error:
    x = MsgBox("An error occured in beamgen", vbOKOnly, "error")
    error = True
    beamcoords = Empty
End Sub

The calls from the main VB program are:

(the class from the above ActiveX code is called Path and the variable
types in the calls all match)

Dim coords As TravelxEXE.Path
Set coords = New Path
Call coords.beamcoords(coordout, particles, madeit)
Call coords.pathcoords(coordout2, noelem, madeit)

Anyway, after all that waffle, What I would like to know is:

A) Has anyone seen this error before.

B) Is there a way of unloading and loading DLLs into memory when being
called from a normal VB program instead of firing up an out of process
exe, and then terminating it thus clearing the DLLs from memory?

Hope someone can help.

Peter Brooks
Phew!!!

Fri, 08 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX exe failures [long]

Peter,

Suggestions:

1. Check that all your ActiveX components are using Binary Compatibility.
2. Unregister and delete the components before you install them again.

Matthew

Quote:
> Hi

> I have a problem with an out of process ActiveX exe.

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 ActiveX exe failures [long]

That's pretty cool of you to put [long] in the subject. Very considerate.

Mon, 11 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. ActiveX.exe or ActiveX DLL or ActiveX Control?????????????

2. ActiveX DLL, ActiveX EXE & ActiveX OCX version

3. ActiveX DLL, ActiveX EXE & ActiveX OCX version

4. Help!!! .EXE failure after several months

5. Failure making exe

6. setup.exe failure: 'insert disk 0'

7. ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

8. Error 800c0300 ActiveX control failure

9. ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

10. ActiveX Control Failure

11. ActiveX document(VBD) download success and failure

12. making standard VB EXE to ActiveX EXE?