DLL Question & Source Code question
Author Message
 DLL Question & Source Code question

I don't remember exactly where but , on your VB CD somewhere is a
program called   Link.exe....... and I believe its   Link /Dump / xxx.dll
/  filename.txt
that should give you the functions and I think the constants.  It's been
a while since I've used this and it's a bit late so if that doesn't work
drop me a note and I'll look it up for you.
james
Quote:

>How do you find out about the functions and constants in a DLL file. I know
>about using the references in vb 4 but how do you find out about a DLL
>written in c or that doesn't open in the reference window? Any help on this
>matter would be greatly appreciated. Also is it possible to make this
>function of mine faster. It counts the number of words in a string.

>'Author: TaCoLeAdEr
>'This function isn't flawless but it does give a pretty accurate
>'return of the number of words in a variable. To use this function
>'just type:
>'-----------------------------------------------------------------
>'OutPutVariable = CountWords(VariableToCountChars)
>'-----------------------------------------------------------------
>'If you have any comments, complaints, or ideas to make this

>newword = True
>wordcount = 0
>      For X = 1 To Len(TextToCount)
>        currentchar = Mid$(TextToCount, X, 1)
>            Select Case currentchar
>            Case Space(1)
>               newword = True
>            Case vbCr
>            newword = True
>            Case vbLf
>            newword = True
>            Case Else

>               If newword = True Then wordcount = wordcount + 1
>                 newword = False
>                End Select
>           Next X
>      CountWords = wordcount
>End Function

Mon, 25 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DLL Question & Source Code question
How do you find out about the functions and constants in a DLL file. I know
about using the references in vb 4 but how do you find out about a DLL
written in c or that doesn't open in the reference window? Any help on this
matter would be greatly appreciated. Also is it possible to make this
function of mine faster. It counts the number of words in a string.

'Author: TaCoLeAdEr
[...]

Tue, 26 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 DLL Question & Source Code question
This should work faster:

Private Function CountWords(sTextToCount As String) As Long
    Dim bNewWord As Boolean
    Dim lWordCount As Long
    Dim X As Long
    Dim lStrLen As Long

    lStrLen = Len(sTextToCount)
    If lStrLen = 0 Then Exit Function

    bNewWord = True
    For X = 1 To lStrLen
        ' use comparison of integers instead of time-consuming
        ' comparison of strings
        Select Case Asc(Mid$(sTextToCount, X, 1))
            Case 32 ' space
                bNewWord = True
            Case 10 ' LF
                bNewWord = True
            Case 13 '  CR
                bNewWord = True
            Case Else
                If bNewWord = True Then lWordCount = lWordCount + 1
                bNewWord = False
        End Select
    Next X
    CountWords = lWordCount
End Function

Quote:

> How do you find out about the functions and constants in a DLL file. I know
> about using the references in vb 4 but how do you find out about a DLL
> written in c or that doesn't open in the reference window? Any help on this
> matter would be greatly appreciated. Also is it possible to make this
> function of mine faster. It counts the number of words in a string.

> 'Author: TaCoLeAdEr
> 'This function isn't flawless but it does give a pretty accurate
> 'return of the number of words in a variable. To use this function
> 'just type:
> '-----------------------------------------------------------------
> 'OutPutVariable = CountWords(VariableToCountChars)
> '-----------------------------------------------------------------
> 'If you have any comments, complaints, or ideas to make this

> newword = True
> wordcount = 0
>       For X = 1 To Len(TextToCount)
>         currentchar = Mid$(TextToCount, X, 1)
>             Select Case currentchar
>             Case Space(1)
>                newword = True
>             Case vbCr
>             newword = True
>             Case vbLf
>             newword = True
>             Case Else

>                If newword = True Then wordcount = wordcount + 1
>                  newword = False
>                 End Select
>            Next X
>       CountWords = wordcount
> End Function

         Rainer Buerkle
         Siemens Nixdorf Business Services GmbH & Co OHG, Munich, Germany
  LOB FS KORDOBA Development

         tel:  (+49)89-636-51683
         fax:  (+49)89-636-40043

Tue, 26 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. *&*&*&* Date math question *&*&*&*

2. simple question...what was the source code for this simple custom action (rules wizard)

3. Many question...I need some source codes!

4. Jumping through Source Code during development (VS.Net Editor question)

5. a question on the SETUP1.EXE source code, regarding langugae

6. VB5 Source Code Questions

7. Source code license question

8. Question: .DLL search path & ActiveX/COM components

9. API question & CD drive question

10. OCX & DLL question

11. QUESTION] MSVB 3.0 & DLL's

12. Setup Wizard & ddeml.dll question