Want to Open ASCII file as database
Author Message
 Want to Open ASCII file as database

Can someone tell me how I would open an ASCII file as a database?

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Want to Open ASCII file as database
What do you mean?  What is the format of the ASCII file?  WHat kind of
database?  Do you want to convert a plain ascii datafile into tables in some
kind of database?

..Tummy..
ICQ: 1488812
Veridicus Software

Quote:

>Can someone tell me how I would open an ASCII file as a database?

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Want to Open ASCII file as database

 > Can someone tell me how I would open an ASCII
 > file as a database?

Could you clarify what you mean by "as a database"?  There are a number of
types of database, each with very specific structure, unlikely to be
implemented in just any ASCII file.

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Want to Open ASCII file as database
Simple, use ADO 1.5 or 2.0
or open in an excel ss and attach via mdb file
Quote:

>Can someone tell me how I would open an ASCII file as a database?

Thu, 22 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Want to Open ASCII file as database
There are at least three ways to do this...

1.    Parse in the file line by line using a delineator to separate the
variables into local arrays.
Write a class that mimics the DAO recordset object and use this for your
database access.

2.    If you have Microsoft Access, use the CreateDatabase method to create
a database,
then use the Microsoft Access Objects, AccessApp and DoCmd.TranslateText to
import
the text file into the database, then just use DAO...the way I have done it.

3.    Use the Text ODBC driver, and specify a SCHEMA.INI, now you can use
standard data
access to access the text file as a database.  For more information on this
goto Books Online
and search for SCHEMA.INI.

patrickj AT itis DOT com
Consultant
Maxim Group

Sat, 24 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Wanted: a little code to parse and import an ascii file

2. Wanted: a bit of code to parse and import an ascii file

3. open mdb file and create several tab delimited ascii files

4. Opening 8-bit ASCII text files automatically?

5. ASCII FILES how to open?

6. How to open and read certain info from a ASCII file

7. Newbie question on opening ASCII files

8. how open ascii file ?

9. How to open and read certain info from a ASCII file

10. Open Binary file as Ascii

11. opening ascii files

12. How do I use VB5 to open ascii file