How to determine floppy disk drive capacity?
Author Message
 How to determine floppy disk drive capacity?

Hello,

I hope I'm not repeating an already asked question.

I need to be able to determind the capacity of a disk drive, not the
available space.  For example, if a user elects drive A: for use in
my program, how can I determind if it is a 1.44 drive or a 1.2 (or
even 720K & 360K).  Please note, I want the capacity of the drive,
_not_ the capacity of the _disk_ in the drive!

Is there an API function that will return such information?  I have
heard thed GetDiskInfo will return this information, but I can find no
reference to this API.  Can someone send me info on this API?

email replies would be appreciated.

--
Marty Potter                | "Dunno, haven't read that chapter..."
Deanmac Pty Ltd             |

Traralgon  VIC  Australia   | http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mhpot1

Sat, 27 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How to determine floppy disk drive capacity?

Hi there

You should probablly take a look at MEDIA_TYPE return value of function
DeviceIOControl. There is an article in Win32 SDK library about this, of
course, for C implementation, but it can be modified for VB (hopefully).

BTW. GetDiskFreeSpace can return also some useful information, but I guess
that is not what are you looking for.

Regards
Daniel Balos, dipl.-Ing.

:Hello,
:
:I hope I'm not repeating an already asked question.
:
:I need to be able to determind the capacity of a disk drive, not the
:available space.  For example, if a user elects drive A: for use in
:my program, how can I determind if it is a 1.44 drive or a 1.2 (or
:even 720K & 360K).  Please note, I want the capacity of the drive,
:_not_ the capacity of the _disk_ in the drive!
:
:Is there an API function that will return such information?  I have
:heard thed GetDiskInfo will return this information, but I can find no
:reference to this API.  Can someone send me info on this API?
:
:email replies would be appreciated.
:
:--
:Marty Potter                | "Dunno, haven't read that chapter..."
:Deanmac Pty Ltd             |

:Traralgon  VIC  Australia   | http://www-mugc.cc.monash.edu.au/~mhpot1

Mon, 29 May 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to determine disk drive capacity?

2. Determining drive letter assigned to floppy drive?

3. How can one determine disk capacity?

4. Determining removable drive type (capacity)

5. Determining Drive Capacity

6. Determining Drive Capacity

7. Determining Drive Capacity

8. Floppy or Hard Disk Drive?

9. Check Floppy Drive for Disk

10. Script to check for disk in Floppy drive

11. How to check if there is a disk in a floppy drive

12. Check for existence of floppy disk in drive ??