Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?
Author Message
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

How expensive are the tests?  Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Vin Syrek

Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?
Quote:

> I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
> developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
> Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

> How expensive are the tests?  Any insight would be appreciated.

> Thanks!

> Vin SyrekI'm also battling with the same questions.  It would appear that the

answer as to whether or not it is worthwhile is that it depends on the
potential employer.  Some give merit to the certifications others think
it's not MS's place to dictate what the standards to hire are.  My
personal opinion is that I'm doing hte certification to gain additional
programming knowledge and hopefully it will give me a step up into the
industry.

Doug-c

Mon, 07 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

Quote:

>I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
>developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
>Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

>How expensive are the tests?  Any insight would be appreciated.

The tests are typically $100 each.  We have found that it takes anywhere from 50-200
hours of study time to prepare.  Exceptions exist - I didn't study for the VB test,
and another guy didn't study for the Access test.

I work for a consulting company and have found that being certified is very useful
to my career and to my employer in terms of getting good business.  They paid for my
certification and I spent the time to study for the tests - I'd say we are both
getting solid benefit for the cost.

The best tests in terms of pure learning and personal knowledge increase (IMHO) were
the two WOSA tests.  To pass those you'll need to get a pretty decent understanding
of OLE, general Windows architecture and the WOSA concept.  If you are going to be
working in a Win32 environment they are very good tests to have under your belt.

The language tests are pretty iffy.  I've seen some real {*filter*}written by people
who've passed just the VB or Access tests.  They may force you to know the mechanics
of the language, but they don't ensure that you actually know how to develop decent
software.

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

Quote:

>I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
>developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
>Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

M$ requires Solutions providers to have Certified professionals.
However, being certified will not get you any more money and
will not get you much in the way of additional job opportunities.
If an employer needs to get you certified in order to pay for Bill's
house then they they will pay for it (If it is a respectable firm).

Save your money.

John

Tue, 08 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?
Experience, know how, and the ability to negotiate get you money.

As for certification it helps on those positions that require it.

Expensive? the classes are, the test was, the last time i checked, 100 bucks.
The problem is that some sort of study program or course is needed to ensure you cover
all the bases.

What will be of more value to you is straight experience. You have to be able to pass
the technical screening interviews and subsequent in person interviews. But, to get
these all important things you have to have a resume that gets the head hunters
attention.
i am not tooting my horn but you can go see mine at
http://home.sprynet.com/sprynet/stilson

in the near future i will enhance this to include the steps i follow to secure
employment when contracts i am on close out. i have developed a methodology which has,
in the past, resulted in as many as 40 phone calls per day. not all calls are a good
match for me and the position in question. but a lot are.
the on-line example of a resume is not a formal resume. it does demonstrate the basic
format to follow:
objective (if seeking a full time job instead of a contract job)
languages (this is where the headhunters see what they are looking for)
summary of recent work (short term memory)
employment history (long term memory)
publications (if any they do help establish credibility)
education (helps if you have a sheepskin but in no way will land you a job worth having
by itself)

when i get the rest of the pages together i will post a message indicating such

Quote:

> I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
> developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
> Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

> How expensive are the tests?  Any insight would be appreciated.

> Thanks!

> Vin Syrek

Wed, 09 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

Quote:

> >I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
> >developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
> >Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

> M$ requires Solutions providers to have Certified professionals.
> However, being certified will not get you any more money and
> will not get you much in the way of additional job opportunities.
> If an employer needs to get you certified in order to pay for Bill's
> house then they they will pay for it (If it is a respectable firm).

> Save your money.

> John

Yes, it will help you others identify your knowledge in the
field you are looking for.  If you could prepare yourself for
the exam, it will not cost you more than the exam fee and
and text book costs.

Good luck.......Vikhe.S

Thu, 10 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?
 >I'm a VB beginner looking to maybe head my career in the
 >developer / programmer direction.  Does being a Microsoft
 >Certified Developer help you get a job or get more money?

Difficult question.  It _may_ help.  employers are going to look
at experience over all.  Then at the certification issue.  If nothing
else, it _may_ give you an edge over another candidate for
the same job.

On the flip side, if you go the consulting route, it will mean that
you or your company can bill at a higher rate.  But beware, the
client's expectations will be higher also.

In actual fact, you can not simply study and expect to pass
the MS VB Certification.  It is too involved and goes into too
much depth.  It really does take hands on programming
experience to pass it.

http://www.xnet.com/~kd9fb

Sat, 12 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. Microsoft Certification - does it mean anything?

2. Does Microsoft Certification mean $$$?

3. Assistant not doing anything because system is busy?

4. anything special that needs to be done for Terminal Server

5. Has anyone done anything adventurous in VB.Net??

6. ShellExecute - can anything be done with task ID?

7. Need help with your Microsoft Certifications?

8. Microsoft Certification

9. Microsoft VB Certification

10. Microsoft Certification

11. MICROSOFT CERTIFICATIONS ARE BOGUS!