Can I do dynamic partial match search like in Access (AutoExpand)
Author Message
 Can I do dynamic partial match search like in Access (AutoExpand)

In MS Access, the Combo Box control has a default property (AutoExpand) which
fills in the list with the first value matching the first character that you
type.  As
you type additional characters, Access changes the value displayed to match all
the characters typed.  The VB Combo Box does not have this property.

Anyone know how to implement this in VB5, or of a Third Party custom control
which has this functionality.

TIA.

John

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can I do dynamic partial match search like in Access (AutoExpand)

Quote:
>In MS Access, the Combo Box control has a default property (AutoExpand) which

fills in the list with the first value matching the first character that you
type.  As you type additional characters, Access changes the value displayed to
match all the characters typed.  The VB Combo Box does not have this property.
Quote:

>Anyone know how to implement this in VB5, or of a Third Party custom control

which has this functionality.

Thanks, but I just found the answer to my own question elsewhere in this
newsgroup.

It involves some API calls as per VB Knowledge Base Article ID
#154076.  I would paste the entire article here except Bill has it
copyrighted and I am scared _ _ _ _less of his lawyers.  Maybe
someone could explain why information that is given away needs
to be copyrighted.

Thu, 07 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Can I do dynamic partial match search like in Access (AutoExpand)

Quote:

>In MS Access, the Combo Box control has a default property (AutoExpand) which
>fills in the list with the first value matching the first character that you
>type.  As
>you type additional characters, Access changes the value displayed to match all
>the characters typed.  The VB Combo Box does not have this property.

The VB combo box does have the Sorted and Style properties.  Set Style
to 2 (drop-down list) and Sorted to True.  As the user types in the
combo box, the first match will display.  The only downside to this
technique is that the user is restricted to the values contained in
the combo box.

If free entry is required, you'll need to write your own code to
search the combo's contents, display the result and highlight the
remaining text.  This is not an easy task.  If you attempt it,
consider writing your own ActiveX control so you can save and reuse
your work.

---------------------
John Tabor

http://userweb.idsonline.com/jtabor

Sat, 09 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. searching listview for partial match with text

2. Partial Matches using Restrict or Find

3. Has the find method a partial match operator?

4. ListViews and Partial Matching.

5. Q: Partial string matching

6. Finding partial matches in databases

7. Doing SEEK with partial index

8. Search on a partial name

9. Implement Partial Search

10. Partial Search.

11. Please help,how do I search for one entry in a dynamic array using random access

12. Partial search of Outlook Contacts