VB5 ActiveX controls as OLE Servers?
Author Message
 VB5 ActiveX controls as OLE Servers?

I have been experimenting with the VB5 Control Creation Edition.

Can a VB5-generated ActiveX control be used like an OLE Server which
exposes its own heirachy of objects?

For example, the VB4 Programmer's Guide contains an example OLE Server
for with Small Business, Employee, Customer and Product classes. (Page
221).  Could I create an ActiveX control to give me the same objects?

The reason I am asking is because I would like to be able to use my
application's functionality inside a web page, and I understand that
'ordinary' OLE servers cannot be embedded in this way.

I think this is an important issue, but it seems like the three-tier
business model has been swept under the carpet in the mad rush to
promote ActiveX as a snazzy way to glamourise web pages.

Comments please...

Mark Hammond
Lloyd's Of London

Sun, 01 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB5 ActiveX Controls as OLE Servers?

2. VB5 ActiveX OLE server used by VC++ program

3. connection with OLE server or ActiveX Control problem

4. Did Microsoft replace all OLE OCX in VB4 to ActiveX Controls in VB5

5. VB5 ActiveX Controls w/SQL Server

6. Activex.Exe's as OLE Servers

7. Howto make ActiveX(OLE) Document Server

8. Howto Build ActiveX(OLE) Document Server in VB?

9. VB5 gpfs when calling VB4 ole server

10. VB5 OLE Server ?

11. OLE SERVERS and VB5

12. 16-bit Out-of-process OLE servers not working with VB5