Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?
Author Message
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

Hi there!

I have written a program in Visual Basic 4.0 for Windows 95.
It contains cheats, codes, tips and solutions to 400+ PC games. The
texts have I collected from computer magazines, an other cheat
program, BBS'es (is that the right spelling?), Internet and my own
notes. Now I have begun thinking of distribute it (as freeware) and
therefor I have this question:
Do I infringe any copyright law if i distribute the program?
In recent times I have been careful to write the name of the author,
but in most cases the authors names have not stood, and I can't
promise that I have kept all the names that stood.
Of course I have seen the same cheats and codes in many places, so
I've just copied the parts I didn't already have. The only way I've
changed the files with pure text (walkthrus, for example) is maybe
some spell correction and changes so the text would fit the window.

There's also the question about the DLL files the user must have on
his computer to run the program, for example VB40032.DLL and
VB4EN32.DLL.
Can I distribute them with the program? Am I free to give them away?

That's my questions. Please answer if you have any solution to my
problems.

Thanks.

Anders Petersson

P.S.
I'm sorry if my english isn't the best, but who's perfect?
Please e-mail me if you are. ;-)

P.P.S
*If* it isn't illegal, and you are interested in the program, I can
tell you it is in swedish, and some of the texts as well. E-mail me if
you're still interested, and I will consider making an english
version.

Mon, 18 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

Now I will rewiev what Berry Wegman and I wrote on the subjekt. Some
of you may be interested in it.

This wrote Berry Wegman:

: Do I infringe any copyright law if i distribute the program?

My understanding of copyright law is that you can copy ideas but not
verbatim content.  However, I think the law allows for LIMITED copying
of verbatim content, and you MIGHT qualify as legal in that regard.
Do some research to determine this.  Go to the library and look up a
book that talks about copyright laws.

Changing spelling errors and minor things would NOT exempt you from
being regarded as copying VERBATIM -- I'm fairly sure.  However, if
you made enough changes in wording, etc., then I think you probably
WOULD be exempt.

Where possible, I would try to get permission from the author.

Perhaps not everything you want to copy is copyright protected.  This
is debatable.  If something has not been PUBLISHED, it may be possible
to contend that it is not copyrighted.  Technically, I think material
does not NEED to be published in order to qualify as copyrighted, but
unless a person has actually published what he has written he probably
won't CARE whether you copy it -- unless he PLANS to publish it.

I know I'm hedging most of what I say, but I hope some of it is
helpful.

As for the DLLs, if they are distributed as part of VB, then I believe
the VB license agreement allows you to distribute them with programs
you
have created in VB.

I don't have the answer I wrote any more, but I don't remember I wrote
anything important, and the other e-mail from Berry Wegman explains
the most:

Quote:
> Another question is if it is illegal to make changes to a text,
> even if minor, and publish it. Then, the author didn't write *that*
> text, but I can hardly claim that *I* have written it. I maybe should
> write the original authors name *and* mine? The author maybe have to
> accept the new text? Hmm, hard to say.

As I said earlier, I think making minor changes makes no real
difference.
However, if you completely reworded everything, then there is no way
you could be held in violation of copyright law -- because only
verbatim text (not ideas) is protected by copyright.

Quote:
> Is the stuff I make, texts and applications and so on, automatical
> copyrighted? Or I maybe have to point out what others may do with my
> products?

Anything you write is AUTOMATICALLY copyrighted, I believe.  However,
it is common practice to make people AWARE of your copyright.  I don't
think you are legally REQUIRED to affix a copyright statement, but I
might be wrong.

Quote:

> If you choose to answer this letter too, I wonder if it wouldn't be
> good to post the letters to the newsgroup, so others can read them and
> say their opinion. But, of course, I understand if you don't want to
> go into a debate.

Go ahead and post them if you want.  Actually, I was TRYING TO POST
when I instead E-mailed to you by accident.  Yes, I think dialogue is
always good.  I think newgroup are a wonderful thing.

Actually, I have E-mailed by mistake instead of posting SEVERAL TIMES,
and I always regret it because sometimes I think others could benefit
from the information.  But my system seems to delete the file as soon
as it is E-mailed, so I can't go back and post it.  At least, that is
my belief and/or experience.

Quote:
> Anyway, I will try to find out what the law says. Thanks for your help.

Yes, this is best.  Read it for yourself in a book, but I think it
helps to first have a "feel" for what the laws are.  I hope I have
given you a fairly good feeling of what they are.

That was the whole. Please write if you know something we missed.
I couldn't use ">" in the beginning of the lines because my server
didn't accept so many.

Anders Petersson

Thu, 21 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

On Aug 04, 1996 00:58:08 in article <Re: Am I allowed to copy texts and

Quote:
>Now I will rewiev what Berry Wegman and I wrote on the subjekt. Some
>of you may be interested in it.

>This wrote Berry Wegman:

>: Do I infringe any copyright law if i distribute the program?

--snip--

Quote:
>Perhaps not everything you want to copy is copyright protected.  This
>is debatable.  If something has not been PUBLISHED, it may be possible
>to contend that it is not copyrighted.  Technically, I think material
>does not NEED to be published in order to qualify as copyrighted, ...

this is correct.

--snip--

Quote:
>> Is the stuff I make, texts and applications and so on, automatical
>> copyrighted? Or I maybe have to point out what others may do with my
>> products?

>Anything you write is AUTOMATICALLY copyrighted, I believe.  However,
>it is common practice to make people AWARE of your copyright.  I don't
>think you are legally REQUIRED to affix a copyright statement, but I
>might be wrong.

It makes sense, obviously.  The principal of copyright is 'proof of
ownership' should it ever need to be contested.  A simple method of
copyrighting work, whether written work, code on a diskette, video tapes
etc. is to send a copy of it through registered overland post to yourself.
Then DO NOT open it, but place it somewhere safe (ie at the bank!)  Thus
you have proof of ownership on a certain date which someone will be hard
pressed to dispute in a legal battle say.

--snip--

Cheers,
Darren
                                 Darren Davison

   "640K ought to be enough memory for anyone" -  B. Gates

Fri, 22 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

Quote:
>It makes sense, obviously.  The principal of copyright is 'proof of
>ownership' should it ever need to be contested.  A simple method of
>copyrighting work, whether written work, code on a diskette, video tapes
>etc. is to send a copy of it through registered overland post to yourself.
>Then DO NOT open it, but place it somewhere safe (ie at the bank!)  Thus
>you have proof of ownership on a certain date which someone will be hard
>pressed to dispute in a legal battle say.

I've heard that quite often .. but you know .. it won't work.  You can
mail an unsealed envelope to yourself then at any later time seal
whatever you want in it. :-)

-- Roger
* Harry Nilsson Home Page: http://www.magicnet.net/~rasmith/nilsson.html

Sat, 23 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

Quote:

> >It makes sense, obviously.  The principal of copyright is 'proof of
> >ownership' should it ever need to be contested.  A simple method of
> >copyrighting work, whether written work, code on a diskette, video tapes
> >etc. is to send a copy of it through registered overland post to yourself.
> >Then DO NOT open it, but place it somewhere safe (ie at the bank!)  Thus
> >you have proof of ownership on a certain date which someone will be hard
> >pressed to dispute in a legal battle say.

> I've heard that quite often .. but you know .. it won't work.  You can
> mail an unsealed envelope to yourself then at any later time seal
> whatever you want in it. :-)

With the stamps and everything on top of the seal????
Not likely you're able to fake that.

Dag

Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

Quote:
>> I've heard that quite often .. but you know .. it won't work.  You can
>> mail an unsealed envelope to yourself then at any later time seal
>> whatever you want in it. :-)
>With the stamps and everything on top of the seal????
>Not likely you're able to fake that.

I see your raise and raise you a ....  :-)

You could just stick the stamps half-way over the flap and still not
seal the flap.  Or hold the flap closed while the date is stamped over
it.  Or only partially seal the envelope.  Or seal it with "Post-It"
glue.  There are lost of tricks available.

Seriously, if you want pretty good proof of the date of a document,
photocopy the document and have the post office stamp the date onto
the front of the copy.

-- Roger
* Harry Nilsson Home Page: http://www.magicnet.net/~rasmith/nilsson.html

Sun, 24 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

A long time ago, on a computer far, far away...

|>It makes sense, obviously.  The principal of copyright is 'proof of
|>ownership' should it ever need to be contested.  A simple method of
|>copyrighting work, whether written work, code on a diskette, video tapes
|>etc. is to send a copy of it through registered overland post to yourself.
|>Then DO NOT open it, but place it somewhere safe (ie at the bank!)  Thus
|>you have proof of ownership on a certain date which someone will be hard
|>pressed to dispute in a legal battle say.
I'm not very familiar with copyright stuff, so could you explain how
that works?  Thanks.
=====
Peter

Any mistakes, spelling, grammatical or otherwise are
results of poor transmission.

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

This is off topic, but another issue is who owns the copyright.

In the US (I Beleive), in the absence of a contract specifying
otherwise, the employer has first claim to ownership, not the
Author(s).

In Australia, it is the other way round.

Typically, if you charge by the hour, then you are deemed to be
employed, and the above holds true.

  __   __   _______________________________
 //)) //)) | Richard RUDEK. MicroDek.      | Hey, Whadda ya
//\\ //\\  | Chatswood, Sydney. Australia. | want for nuting...
           `-------------------------------'

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

[Roger appears to have deleted the part  of the message to which he is
replying that says REGISTERED mail...]

Quote:
> >> I've heard that quite often .. but you know .. it won't work.  You can
> >> mail an unsealed envelope to yourself then at any later time seal
> >> whatever you want in it. :-)

> >With the stamps and everything on top of the seal????
> >Not likely you're able to fake that.

> I see your raise and raise you a ....  :-)

> You could just stick the stamps half-way over the flap and still not
> seal the flap.  Or hold the flap closed while the date is stamped over
> it.  Or only partially seal the envelope.  Or seal it with "Post-It"
> glue.  There are lost of tricks available.

> Seriously, if you want pretty good proof of the date of a document,
> photocopy the document and have the post office stamp the date onto
> the front of the copy.

> -- Roger
> * Harry Nilsson Home Page: ttp://www.magicnet.net/~rasmith/nilsson.html

You have obviously never sent anything registered mail.  YOU do not seal
the envelope.  The mail person seals the envelope.  With LOTS of special
tape.  Then "postmarks" all the edges of all the tape.  Then they write
in the little registered mail book who you are, what article number it
is (from the registered mail sticker), who it's addressed to, and so
on.
It takes a few minutes of hand processing at the counter, and it costs
a few bucks extra in the US, presumably it's extra charge in other
countries as well.

And what does this have to do with Visual Basic?  :-)

David.

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

Quote:
>And what does this have to do with Visual Basic?  :-)

It will enable you to prove you had the source code to a program first.

--
VB Info: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/visual.htm
FAQ: http://www.sn.no/~balchen/vb/faq.htm

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

Quote:
>You have obviously never sent anything registered mail.  YOU do not seal
>the envelope.  The mail person seals the envelope.  With LOTS of special
>tape.  Then "postmarks" all the edges of all the tape.  Then they write
>in the little registered mail book who you are, what article number it
>is (from the registered mail sticker), who it's addressed to, and so
>on.

There's still always a way around it - i.e. use a manilla envelope and
steam open the bottom of envelope to replace the contents.

Sending a registered letter to yourself costs about $5 and has to be
opened to "prove" whatever you're trying to prove (i.e. can only be
used as evidence once).

The photocopy trick is simple, doesn't cost much, and isn't a
single-use thing.

Quote:
>And what does this have to do with Visual Basic?  :-)

Not much.  I've only used the photocopy trick when submitting some
unsolicited magazine articles (I was plagurized by a columnists in a
popular electronics magazine many years ago).  As far as software,
registering a copyright is not very difficult or expensive and would
hold up in court better than either of these tricks.

-- Roger
* Harry Nilsson Home Page: http://www.magicnet.net/~rasmith/nilsson.html

Mon, 25 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

Quote:

> > ...  A simple method of copyrighting work, ...
> > ... is to send a copy of it through registered overland post to yourself.
> > Then DO NOT open it, but place it somewhere safe (ie at the bank!)  Thus
> > you have proof of ownership on a certain date ...
> I've heard that quite often .. but you know .. it won't work.  You can
> mail an unsealed envelope to yourself then at any later time seal
> whatever you want in it. :-)

Assuming your smiley's signalling the naughtiness of your idea rather than
its inexplicable effectiveness -

What do you give to the bank? The unsealed envelope on the day it reached you?
Or the sealed one with the chosen item - on the date you found out about somebody
else's claim? I don't get it.

Oh. Oh. Oh. Of course. The time machine you thought too obvious to mention.
Silly of me.

Vox (0|+44)1642 216 200      |     |     |   Zetland Buildings, Exchange Square
Fax (0|+44)1642 216 201      o     o     *   Middlesbrough, Cleveland.  TS1 1DE
-- "I don't know much about quantum electrodynamics, but I know what I like" --

Sun, 31 Jan 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Am I allowed to copy texts and DLLs?

On Wed, 14 Aug 1996 10:10:18 +0100, Paul Sampson

Quote:

>What do you give to the bank? The unsealed envelope on the day it reached you?
>Or the sealed one with the chosen item - on the date you found out about somebody
>else's claim? I don't get it.

>Oh. Oh. Oh. Of course. The time machine you thought too obvious to mention.
>Silly of me.

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAH... HAHAHHAA...
(sniff)
Man, some people spend $10 to see a a comedy show... I just log onto a
VB newsgroup!

Mon, 01 Feb 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Allowing ONLY text to be typed in my text box - NO NUMBERS

2. Allowing ONLY text to be typed in my text box - NO NUMBERS

3. how to only allow one copy of exe to run on workstation

4. Allowing one copy only

5. Maskedit ctrl - read-only, but allow copy-paste?

6. VB6 under Vista - won't allow printing of more than 1 copy

7. Find various text and copy the found text into different document

8. Copying text in .rtf format from one rich text box to another

9. copy OLE text to a Text box??????????

10. Copying a text file into a large text box

11. Copy text to another text

12. VB: Copy Text From DOS Window To Clipboard As Text