Office 97, VB 5.0 on top of VB 4.0
Author Message
 Office 97, VB 5.0 on top of VB 4.0

Has anyone received the error message "Object server not correctly
registered" when running VB 4.0 after installing Office 97 and/or VB 5.0?
I am presently having this problem on an NT 4.0 workstation that I use for
my development.  Is there any acknowledgement from MS that this is a
problem?  What other problems have users experienced in upgrading along
these lines?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Ryan Heil
Systems Analyst
CBS Inc.
--
"He who does not love wine, women, and song
Remains a fool his whole life long." - J.H.Voss

Fri, 24 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97, VB 5.0 on top of VB 4.0

Hiya Ryan...

I was wondering what was causing that annoying message to pop up every time
i go to add a component to a vb app!!!

I wonder if that reg clean i hear so much about will work... Im hestitant
to run anything that arbitrarily does anything to the registry, so i
hesitate to use it.

But, yes... u r not alone out there...

--Mike

Sat, 25 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97, VB 5.0 on top of VB 4.0

Quote:
> Has anyone received the error message "Object server not correctly
> registered" when running VB 4.0 after installing Office 97 and/or VB 5.0?
> I am presently having this problem on an NT 4.0 workstation that I use
for
> my development.  Is there any acknowledgement from MS that this is a
> problem?  What other problems have users experienced in upgrading along
> these lines?

Yep I had this. The version 4.1 of RegClean fixes it with no apparent side
effects.
It is available from http://www.microsoft.com/kb/softlib/files/RagCln41.exe

Quote:
> Thanks in advance for any info!

> Ryan Heil
> Systems Analyst
> CBS Inc.
> --
> "He who does not love wine, women, and song
> Remains a fool his whole life long." - J.H.Voss

Neil Sedley

Tue, 28 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97, VB 5.0 on top of VB 4.0

Thanks Neil for the info re RegClean...

Lets see if I can safely do it....  :)

--Mike

Wed, 29 Sep 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97, VB 5.0 on top of VB 4.0

Big bad surprise here.  refer to MS article below.  Loading
VB5-related controls whack VB4 controls, things like drag and drop in
the tree control, all sorts of other things.  And backing up is worse,
you have to removew vb5, then vb4, then replace COMDLG32.OCX, etc, and
reload VB4.  Plus any project opened in VB4 with 5 installed changes
version information, and when reopening after resinstlaling VB4, you
have to manually edit the project files.

Quote:

>                    Article ID: Q161344
>                    Creation Date: 20-DEC-1996
>                    Revision Date: 25-MAR-1997

>                    The information in this article applies to:

>                       * Microsoft Visual Basic Learning, Professional and Enterprise Editions,
>                         for Windows, version 5.0
>                       * Microsoft Visual Basic Standard, Professional and Enterprise Editions,
>                         32-bit only, for Windows, version 4.0

>                    SYMPTOMS
>                    If Microsoft Visual Basic version 5.0 and Microsoft Visual Basic version
>                    4.0 32-bit are installed on the same machine, inconsistent behavior is
>                    observed when using Microsoft Visual Basic 4.0.

>                    CAUSE

>                    Microsoft Visual Basic version 5.0 is designed to replace Microsoft Visual
>                    Basic version 4.0 and to upgrade the earlier components (including .OCX
>                    controls) to newer versions. Maintaining both versions of Visual Basic on
>                    the same machine is not recommended because many of the new version 5.0
>                    features and components are not supported in version 4.0. The following
>                    Microsoft Visual Basic 4.0 32-bit files are replaced with updated Microsoft
>                    Visual Basic 5.0 components:

>                    These components behave differently than the components released with the
>                    32-bit version of Microsoft Visual Basic 4.0.

>                    RESOLUTION

>                    Create a dual-boot system in which one boot of the operating system will be
>                    installed with Microsoft Visual Basic 4.0 32-bit and the other will be
>                    installed with Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0. See the REFERENCES section of
>                    this article for more information.

>                    STATUS

>                    This is the intended behavior of Microsoft Visual Basic 5.0

>Has anyone received the error message "Object server not correctly
>registered" when running VB 4.0 after installing Office 97 and/or VB 5.0?
>I am presently having this problem on an NT 4.0 workstation that I use for
>my development.  Is there any acknowledgement from MS that this is a
>problem?  What other problems have users experienced in upgrading along
>these lines?

>Thanks in advance for any info!

>Ryan Heil
>Systems Analyst
>CBS Inc.
>--
>"He who does not love wine, women, and song
>Remains a fool his whole life long." - J.H.Voss

Fri, 01 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB 4.0 vs Office 97 and VB 5.0

2. VB 4.0 vs Office 97 and VB 5.0

3. Help with differences between VB 5.0 versus Office 97 VBA

4. Office 97 style menu in VB 5.0

5. VB 5.0 and Excel Office 97

6. VB 4.0 32-bit and Office 97

7. VB 5.0, OLE, Access 97, Graph 97

8. Office 97 Breaks Visual Basic 4.0

9. Setting Default Printer in VB 5.0 for Crystal Reports 5.0 under NT 4.0

10. Setting Default Printer in VB 5.0 for Crystal Reports 5.0 under NT 4.0

11. Setting Default Printer in VB 5.0 for Crystal Reports 5.0 under NT 4.0

12. Setting Default Printer in VB 5.0 for Crystal Reports 5.0 under NT 4.0