Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
Author Message
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?

Hi, This may be a touch off-topic, but I don't know who else to ask.
I have a VB app that I want to post for download and I compress it with
WinZip and convert that to a self-extractor with "SFX Self Extract wizard".
This take a 35 meg file and squeezes it down to about 24. Is this as tight
as this can comfortably go? Is WinRar a better method?
Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan Hoskin

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 04:50:10 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
        That is one hell of a big distrib !  What are you putting in
there ?

        In practical terms, Winzip is about as good as you're gonna
get.

Quote:
>Hi, This may be a touch off-topic, but I don't know who else to ask.
>I have a VB app that I want to post for download and I compress it with
>WinZip and convert that to a self-extractor with "SFX Self Extract wizard".
>This take a 35 meg file and squeezes it down to about 24. Is this as tight
>as this can comfortably go? Is WinRar a better method?
>Any advice would be appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Dan Hoskin

Quote:
>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~

http://helpthecritters.com/ is my domain for helping critters

Coming soon - PMTherm version 2.0  !!  http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm.htm

My personal site is at  http://www.pmilligan.net ,
featuring free HVAC, psychrometric, stock market, and other software

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 05:29:11 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
I have to agree with pjm... If you take out the kitchen sink you might get it down to 23mgb... LOL
I'm curious just what all it does that makes it such a massive file (compressed even).
Is this just the EXE or does it contain the Project Files also?
If it contains the project and it contains many JPG/BMPs I can see where the bloat is coming from.
Also, if this is the case would reducing the size of the JPG/BMP's, if this can be done without causing display problems, squeeze out some of the
excess?
If it contains a Database maybe you should compact it first, that is if you haven't already done so....

WinRAR is good if you want to split it up into smaller segments of lets say 2mbg each and download segment by segment and recombine them after all
have downloaded successfully.
If you take out the SFX part would that be better. I don't know how much overhead it requires.

You're making me feel bad because most some of my larger programs zip up to less than 2mgb and that includes large helpless files, word docs.... <g>

Quote:

>    That is one hell of a big distrib !  What are you putting in
>there ?

>    In practical terms, Winzip is about as good as you're gonna
>get.

>>Hi, This may be a touch off-topic, but I don't know who else to ask.
>>I have a VB app that I want to post for download and I compress it with
>>WinZip and convert that to a self-extractor with "SFX Self Extract wizard".
>>This take a 35 meg file and squeezes it down to about 24. Is this as tight
>>as this can comfortably go? Is WinRar a better method?
>>Any advice would be appreciated.

>>Thanks,
>>Dan Hoskin

>>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~
>http://helpthecritters.com/ is my domain for helping critters

>Coming soon - PMTherm version 2.0  !!  http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm.htm

>My personal site is at  http://www.pmilligan.net ,
>featuring free HVAC, psychrometric, stock market, and other software

Have a good day...

Don

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:07:12 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?

I use WinRAR and like it for the very thing you're talking about.

Quote:
>Hi, This may be a touch off-topic, but I don't know who else to ask.
>I have a VB app that I want to post for download and I compress it with
>WinZip and convert that to a self-extractor with "SFX Self Extract wizard".
>This take a 35 meg file and squeezes it down to about 24. Is this as tight
>as this can comfortably go? Is WinRar a better method?
>Any advice would be appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Dan Hoskin

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 06:07:37 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
I get the feeling that I may be doing something profoundly stupid as far as
what I packaging up. It is a VB program that has about 28 forms, several of
which are small and simple, for modifying one or two fields of a MS Access
database. There are only a few images, but I can trim them down a fair bit
because they are still bitmaps. As far as the database, I have 7 databases
that I originally wanted to keep separate to make future changes easier. I
have not compacted the DBs either, so that is likely a huge part of it. If I
merge the DBs into two as opposed to 7, how much of an impact do you think
that will have on distributable size?
I must be doing something wrong if I am that much out of the normal size
range. The app itself should not be that big. As far as what I am including
in the package, I am just compressing the folder that the P&D Wizard puts
together. All of it's contents are required to go with it, right?

Thanks, I will start chopping away at it now and see how it goes.
Dan Hoskin

Quote:

> I use WinRAR and like it for the very thing you're talking about.

> >Hi, This may be a touch off-topic, but I don't know who else to ask.
> >I have a VB app that I want to post for download and I compress it with
> >WinZip and convert that to a self-extractor with "SFX Self Extract
wizard".
> >This take a 35 meg file and squeezes it down to about 24. Is this as
tight
> >as this can comfortably go? Is WinRar a better method?
> >Any advice would be appreciated.

> >Thanks,
> >Dan Hoskin

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 08:56:20 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
I wouldn't go through all the problems of merging the databases. This could actually backfire on you...
I would think that compacting them is a good idea even though the db has a lot of dead space in it it might prove benificial...
Are you sure Ole P&D didn't put a lot of unneeded OCX's in it...
Dang.. I forgot the trick to eliminate all controls not used by your program.. I think it is holding the shift key and clicking delete or exit when in
the components screen.. better ask first before trying the Delete thingie first... Don't know what the out come would be if this isn't it... LOL

Maybe someone will provide that trick for us...

Quote:

>I get the feeling that I may be doing something profoundly stupid as far as
>what I packaging up. It is a VB program that has about 28 forms, several of
>which are small and simple, for modifying one or two fields of a MS Access
>database. There are only a few images, but I can trim them down a fair bit
>because they are still bitmaps. As far as the database, I have 7 databases
>that I originally wanted to keep separate to make future changes easier. I
>have not compacted the DBs either, so that is likely a huge part of it. If I
>merge the DBs into two as opposed to 7, how much of an impact do you think
>that will have on distributable size?
>I must be doing something wrong if I am that much out of the normal size
>range. The app itself should not be that big. As far as what I am including
>in the package, I am just compressing the folder that the P&D Wizard puts
>together. All of it's contents are required to go with it, right?

>Thanks, I will start chopping away at it now and see how it goes.
>Dan Hoskin

>> I use WinRAR and like it for the very thing you're talking about.

>> >Hi, This may be a touch off-topic, but I don't know who else to ask.
>> >I have a VB app that I want to post for download and I compress it with
>> >WinZip and convert that to a self-extractor with "SFX Self Extract
>wizard".
>> >This take a 35 meg file and squeezes it down to about 24. Is this as
>tight
>> >as this can comfortably go? Is WinRar a better method?
>> >Any advice would be appreciated.

>> >Thanks,
>> >Dan Hoskin

Have a good day...

Don

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:06:42 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
Hmmmm... I just checked the components screen and there isn't a delete button... LOL
So it must be Shift and Ok or Cancel...
Sorry... having a senior moment...

Quote:

>I wouldn't go through all the problems of merging the databases. This could actually backfire on you...
>I would think that compacting them is a good idea even though the db has a lot of dead space in it it might prove benificial...
>Are you sure Ole P&D didn't put a lot of unneeded OCX's in it...
>Dang.. I forgot the trick to eliminate all controls not used by your program.. I think it is holding the shift key and clicking delete or exit when in
>the components screen.. better ask first before trying the Delete thingie first... Don't know what the out come would be if this isn't it... LOL

>Maybe someone will provide that trick for us...

>>I get the feeling that I may be doing something profoundly stupid as far as
>>what I packaging up. It is a VB program that has about 28 forms, several of
>>which are small and simple, for modifying one or two fields of a MS Access
>>database. There are only a few images, but I can trim them down a fair bit
>>because they are still bitmaps. As far as the database, I have 7 databases
>>that I originally wanted to keep separate to make future changes easier. I
>>have not compacted the DBs either, so that is likely a huge part of it. If I
>>merge the DBs into two as opposed to 7, how much of an impact do you think
>>that will have on distributable size?
>>I must be doing something wrong if I am that much out of the normal size
>>range. The app itself should not be that big. As far as what I am including
>>in the package, I am just compressing the folder that the P&D Wizard puts
>>together. All of it's contents are required to go with it, right?

>>Thanks, I will start chopping away at it now and see how it goes.
>>Dan Hoskin

>>> I use WinRAR and like it for the very thing you're talking about.

>>wizard".
>>tight

>Have a good day...

>Don

Have a good day...

Don

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:16:47 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
Sorry.. But I just have to ask this question for a friend of mine....

What version of VB are you using... Not .NET is it???

Quote:

>Hmmmm... I just checked the components screen and there isn't a delete button... LOL
>So it must be Shift and Ok or Cancel...
>Sorry... having a senior moment...

>>I wouldn't go through all the problems of merging the databases. This could actually backfire on you...
>>I would think that compacting them is a good idea even though the db has a lot of dead space in it it might prove benificial...
>>Are you sure Ole P&D didn't put a lot of unneeded OCX's in it...
>>Dang.. I forgot the trick to eliminate all controls not used by your program.. I think it is holding the shift key and clicking delete or exit when in
>>the components screen.. better ask first before trying the Delete thingie first... Don't know what the out come would be if this isn't it... LOL

>>Maybe someone will provide that trick for us...

>>>I get the feeling that I may be doing something profoundly stupid as far as
>>>what I packaging up. It is a VB program that has about 28 forms, several of
>>>which are small and simple, for modifying one or two fields of a MS Access
>>>database. There are only a few images, but I can trim them down a fair bit
>>>because they are still bitmaps. As far as the database, I have 7 databases
>>>that I originally wanted to keep separate to make future changes easier. I
>>>have not compacted the DBs either, so that is likely a huge part of it. If I
>>>merge the DBs into two as opposed to 7, how much of an impact do you think
>>>that will have on distributable size?
>>>I must be doing something wrong if I am that much out of the normal size
>>>range. The app itself should not be that big. As far as what I am including
>>>in the package, I am just compressing the folder that the P&D Wizard puts
>>>together. All of it's contents are required to go with it, right?

>>>Thanks, I will start chopping away at it now and see how it goes.
>>>Dan Hoskin

>>>wizard".
>>>tight

>>Have a good day...

>>Don

>Have a good day...

>Don

Have a good day...

Don

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 09:32:30 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?

Quote:

>I wouldn't go through all the problems of merging the databases. This could actually backfire on you...
>I would think that compacting them is a good idea even though the db has a lot of dead space in it it might prove benificial...
>Are you sure Ole P&D didn't put a lot of unneeded OCX's in it...
>Dang.. I forgot the trick to eliminate all controls not used by your program.. I think it is holding the shift key and clicking delete or exit when in
>the components screen.. better ask first before trying the Delete thingie first... Don't know what the out come would be if this isn't it... LOL

>Maybe someone will provide that trick for us...

Well, for starters he could convert those BMPs to JPGs.
Creating the databases on the first run is also an option. If they do
contain data now, place the data into a textfile(s) and then pull them
back into the database after the mdbs are up. Plain textfiles will
compress better than an mdb.
Of course if he has used data controls and bound controls than he is a
step or two back from doing that. :)

--

Regards, Frank

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:04:18 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
If you mean that you're including the Support folder, you shouldn't.
You just want setup.exe, setup.lst and whatever CAB
files were made.

> I get the feeling that I may be doing something profoundly stupid as far
as
> what I packaging up. It is a VB program that has about 28 forms, several
of
> which are small and simple, for modifying one or two fields of a MS Access
> database. There are only a few images, but I can trim them down a fair bit
> because they are still bitmaps. As far as the database, I have 7 databases
> that I originally wanted to keep separate to make future changes easier. I
> have not compacted the DBs either, so that is likely a huge part of it. If
> merge the DBs into two as opposed to 7, how much of an impact do you think
> that will have on distributable size?
> I must be doing something wrong if I am that much out of the normal size
> range. The app itself should not be that big. As far as what I am
including
> in the package, I am just compressing the folder that the P&D Wizard puts
> together. All of it's contents are required to go with it, right?

> Thanks, I will start chopping away at it now and see how it goes.
> Dan Hoskin

> > I use WinRAR and like it for the very thing you're talking about.

> > >Hi, This may be a touch off-topic, but I don't know who else to ask.
> > >I have a VB app that I want to post for download and I compress it with
> > >WinZip and convert that to a self-extractor with "SFX Self Extract
> wizard".
> > >This take a 35 meg file and squeezes it down to about 24. Is this as
> tight
> > >as this can comfortably go? Is WinRar a better method?
> > >Any advice would be appreciated.

> > >Thanks,
> > >Dan Hoskin

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 10:43:47 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
I am using VB 6 with SP5. There are a pile of controls that are just sitting
there unused, I removed all that were removable in the components list, but
there are still a few individual controls that could be scrapped.
DH

Quote:
> Sorry.. But I just have to ask this question for a friend of mine....

> What version of VB are you using... Not .NET is it???

> >Hmmmm... I just checked the components screen and there isn't a delete
button... LOL
> >So it must be Shift and Ok or Cancel...
> >Sorry... having a senior moment...

> >>I wouldn't go through all the problems of merging the databases. This

could actually backfire on you...
Quote:
> >>I would think that compacting them is a good idea even though the db has

a lot of dead space in it it might prove benificial...
Quote:
> >>Are you sure Ole P&D didn't put a lot of unneeded OCX's in it...
> >>Dang.. I forgot the trick to eliminate all controls not used by your

program.. I think it is holding the shift key and clicking delete or exit
when in
Quote:
> >>the components screen.. better ask first before trying the Delete

thingie first... Don't know what the out come would be if this isn't it...
LOL

> >>Maybe someone will provide that trick for us...

Access
If I

> >>Have a good day...

> >>Don

> >Have a good day...

> >Don

> Have a good day...

> Don

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:45:50 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
Well, that certainly chops the size down! I had no idea that I would not
need to distribute the Support folder, I have always assumed that  it had to
be distributed because the P&D wizard puts it in the package folder. Thanks.
Wouldn't it be nice if you could simply install all these little details
directly into the brain, without all the pesky 'learning' part?

Thanks,
Dan Hoskin

Quote:
> If you mean that you're including the Support folder, you shouldn't.
> You just want setup.exe, setup.lst and whatever CAB
> files were made.

> --
> --

> > I get the feeling that I may be doing something profoundly stupid as far
> as
> > what I packaging up. It is a VB program that has about 28 forms, several
> of
> > which are small and simple, for modifying one or two fields of a MS
Access
> > database. There are only a few images, but I can trim them down a fair
bit
> > because they are still bitmaps. As far as the database, I have 7
databases
> > that I originally wanted to keep separate to make future changes easier.
> > have not compacted the DBs either, so that is likely a huge part of it.
If
> > merge the DBs into two as opposed to 7, how much of an impact do you
think
> > that will have on distributable size?
> > I must be doing something wrong if I am that much out of the normal size
> > range. The app itself should not be that big. As far as what I am
> including
> > in the package, I am just compressing the folder that the P&D Wizard
puts
> > together. All of it's contents are required to go with it, right?

> > Thanks, I will start chopping away at it now and see how it goes.
> > Dan Hoskin

> > > I use WinRAR and like it for the very thing you're talking about.

> > wizard".
> > tight

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 11:53:11 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
Sadly Frank, I am half guilty, there are some bound controls, but
connections are all coded ado, not datacontrols. So there is still hope for
my soul if my next project moves beyond the bound controls. Otherwise it is
programmers hell for me. ;)
I was going to have the DBs created on first run originally, but it just got
shoved back down the priority list as the project progressed. It makes a lot
of sense for me to be able to just switch a single text file as a data
source instead of having to ship the DBs in their entirety if I want to
modify the data that goes with the app. But, that is definitely a few weeks
away on the list.
I will look into getting rid of the excess controls as you suggested, and I
was never worried about the images being bitmaps when I was distributing on
CD, but downloading changes the way I have to look at that!
The biggest goof that I made appears to be that I have always included the
Support folder with the distributable. Again, never a problem on a CD. I
always assumed that it was required because the wizard puts it in the
'Package' folder. Live and learn, right?

Thanks for the help,
Dan Hoskin

Quote:

> >I wouldn't go through all the problems of merging the databases. This

could actually backfire on you...
Quote:
> >I would think that compacting them is a good idea even though the db has

a lot of dead space in it it might prove benificial...
Quote:
> >Are you sure Ole P&D didn't put a lot of unneeded OCX's in it...
> >Dang.. I forgot the trick to eliminate all controls not used by your

program.. I think it is holding the shift key and clicking delete or exit
when in
Quote:
> >the components screen.. better ask first before trying the Delete thingie

first... Don't know what the out come would be if this isn't it... LOL
Quote:

> >Maybe someone will provide that trick for us...

> Well, for starters he could convert those BMPs to JPGs.
> Creating the databases on the first run is also an option. If they do
> contain data now, place the data into a textfile(s) and then pull them
> back into the database after the mdbs are up. Plain textfiles will
> compress better than an mdb.
> Of course if he has used data controls and bound controls than he is a
> step or two back from doing that. :)

> --

> Regards, Frank

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:15:46 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?

Quote:
>Well, that certainly chops the size down! I had no idea that I would not
>need to distribute the Support folder, I have always assumed that  it had to
>be distributed because the P&D wizard puts it in the package folder. Thanks.
>Wouldn't it be nice if you could simply install all these little details
>directly into the brain, without all the pesky 'learning' part?

        You need to purchase the optional OLW module ( Osmotic
Learning Wizard ).

        First you put it in a bucket, then go soak your head :-)

Quote:
>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~>~~

http://helpthecritters.com/ is my domain for helping critters

Coming soon - PMTherm version 2.0  !!  http://pmilligan.net/pmtherm.htm

My personal site is at  http://www.pmilligan.net ,
featuring free HVAC, psychrometric, stock market, and other software

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:18:16 GMT
 Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?
Is it possible to just have the exe file for download, and the database
.
Then if the user has not had a vb program before, they could download the
runtime files separately.

If they already have all the runtime files needed, there is no need to
download them again.

This is only a thought....I am new to VB.

--
Gordon

Quote:
> Well, that certainly chops the size down! I had no idea that I would not
> need to distribute the Support folder, I have always assumed that  it had
> be distributed because the P&D wizard puts it in the package folder.
Thanks.
> Wouldn't it be nice if you could simply install all these little details
> directly into the brain, without all the pesky 'learning' part?

> Thanks,
> Dan Hoskin

> > If you mean that you're including the Support folder, you shouldn't.
> > You just want setup.exe, setup.lst and whatever CAB
> > files were made.

> > --
> > --

> > > I get the feeling that I may be doing something profoundly stupid as
far
> > as
> > > what I packaging up. It is a VB program that has about 28 forms,
several
> > of
> > > which are small and simple, for modifying one or two fields of a MS
> Access
> > > database. There are only a few images, but I can trim them down a fair
> bit
> > > because they are still bitmaps. As far as the database, I have 7
> databases
> > > that I originally wanted to keep separate to make future changes
easier.
> > > have not compacted the DBs either, so that is likely a huge part of
it.
> If
> > > merge the DBs into two as opposed to 7, how much of an impact do you
> think
> > > that will have on distributable size?
> > > I must be doing something wrong if I am that much out of the normal
size
> > > range. The app itself should not be that big. As far as what I am
> > including
> > > in the package, I am just compressing the folder that the P&D Wizard
> puts
> > > together. All of it's contents are required to go with it, right?

> > > Thanks, I will start chopping away at it now and see how it goes.
> > > Dan Hoskin

> with
> > > wizard".
> > > tight

Thu, 14 Jul 2005 12:33:57 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Any ideas about self-extracting .exe's?

2. How to make Self-Extracting .exe??

3. Running a self extracting zip from setup.exe ?

4. Self-Extracting EXE

5. Self-Extracting EXE

6. Need Help Creating Self Extracting .exe

7. Self-Extracting EXE distribution?

8. self extracting exe

9. Q. Creating a SETUP.EXE for self-extracting files

10. Self-Extracting EXE

11. self extracting .exe

12. VB6 self-extracting EXE