PC Home Security System
Author Message
 PC Home Security System

I wish to develop a PC home security system using VB4 and the Parallel
port.
What is the best way to go about it? ... I want the program to read inputs
of 6 zones and detect a broken contact, i.e a simple switch.

Please can anyone give me a few tips.
Thanks in advance.

Dave.

Wed, 21 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PC Home Security System

Quote:

>I wish to develop a PC home security system using VB4 and the Parallel
>port.
>What is the best way to go about it? ... I want the program to read inputs
>of 6 zones and detect a broken contact, i.e a simple switch.

1. Electronics
I notice{*filter*} Smith in New Zealand are selling a Parallel Port
Interface kit (Cat. K2805).  Monitors 10 analogue voltages, 8 digital
outputs and 2 variable voltages generated for $NZ45.  This sort of
thing should be available locally and will simplify connecting to the
computer (since if it doesn't come with sample programs - don't buy
it).

Alternatively, I recall an article which just talked about stripping a
parallel cable out, connecting some bulbs up (it shouldn't be hard to
dig up a pin out that indentifies ground, etc) and sending data out to
see what lights up!

2. Programming.
As windows has advanced it has become steadily more difficult to
access hardware.  You might find that VB4 just can't talk to the port
at a low enough level to give you what you want.

This might actually be easier on a Win311 machine under VB3 simply
because you're closer to the hardware.

Chris

Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 PC Home Security System

You can also find a hardware interface product, inpout32 (freebie), which
can be found on Jan Axelson's page about the parallel ports
www.lvr.com/parport.htm

John

Quote:

>>I wish to develop a PC home security system using VB4 and the Parallel
>>port.
>>What is the best way to go about it? ... I want the program to read inputs
>>of 6 zones and detect a broken contact, i.e a simple switch.

>1. Electronics
>I notice{*filter*} Smith in New Zealand are selling a Parallel Port
>Interface kit (Cat. K2805).  Monitors 10 analogue voltages, 8 digital
>outputs and 2 variable voltages generated for $NZ45.  This sort of
>thing should be available locally and will simplify connecting to the
>computer (since if it doesn't come with sample programs - don't buy
>it).

>Alternatively, I recall an article which just talked about stripping a
>parallel cable out, connecting some bulbs up (it shouldn't be hard to
>dig up a pin out that indentifies ground, etc) and sending data out to
>see what lights up!

>2. Programming.
>As windows has advanced it has become steadily more difficult to
>access hardware.  You might find that VB4 just can't talk to the port
>at a low enough level to give you what you want.

>This might actually be easier on a Win311 machine under VB3 simply
>because you're closer to the hardware.

>Chris

Thu, 22 Jun 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. USE YOUR SKILLS TO MAKE MONEY ON YOUR HOME PC

2. Looking for some HOME BASED PC work

3. VB6 prog runs on home but not Office PC

4. USE YOUR SKILLS TO MAKE MONEY FROM YOUR HOME PC.

5. Make Tons Of Money From Your PC At Home

6. Pocket PC 2002 & WinXP home

7. New Home for a VB Home Page

8. Newbie : Pocket PC/Handheld PC/Palm PC

9. Pocket PC graphics: System.NotSupportedException

10. Querying a clients PC System Info

11. QBasic and Latest PC Operating Systems