HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file
Author Message
 HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file

Greetings !

I am trying to perform queries on an Access database that is burned on a
CD but when I perform the following code I get an "error 3050: Couldn't
lock file". Looking in VB4's help it seems to have help on every error
code BUT 3050 !!

frmmaster.dblink.DatabaseName = dbasename
frmmaster.dblink.RecordSource = "select * from " & tablename
frmmaster.dblink.Refresh

Dblink is my data control. I fails when I try to use refresh. Is there
something else I could use ? This worked fine when the database was on
my hard drive.

Any responses will be appreciated.

John

Tue, 15 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file

Just guessing, It probably need to write something to the Access
database to tell it that the database is open and if so, It can't write
to the CD.  I believe this is the purpose of the *.LDB files (locking
control).

Quote:
> ----------

> Posted At:         Thursday, August 28, 1997 06:53 PM
> Posted To:         misc
> Conversation:      HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file
> Subject:   HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file

> Greetings !

> I am trying to perform queries on an Access database that is burned on
> CD but when I perform the following code I get an "error 3050:
> Couldn't
> lock file". Looking in VB4's help it seems to have help on every error
> code BUT 3050 !!

> frmmaster.dblink.DatabaseName = dbasename
> frmmaster.dblink.RecordSource = "select * from " & tablename
> frmmaster.dblink.Refresh

> Dblink is my data control. I fails when I try to use refresh. Is there
> something else I could use ? This worked fine when the database was on
> my hard drive.

> Any responses will be appreciated.

> John

Tue, 15 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file

Quote:

> I am trying to perform queries on an Access database that is burned on
> a CD but when I perform the following code I get an "error 3050:
> Couldn't
> lock file". Looking in VB4's help it seems to have help on every error
> code BUT 3050 !!

<snip>

Quote:
> This worked fine when the database was on my hard drive.

Never had this problem myself, therefore, I may be wrong.

JET/Access needs to create a locking file with the same name as the
database, except with a .ldb extension. It normally creates them in the
same directory as the database. However, your directory is read-only
(being on a CD). That is probably why it works on your hard drive.

I seem to recall that there is a workaround for this, but I can't
remember it for the life of me. Have you tried searching at:

http://www.microsoft.com/kb

N Varacalli
--
HTML and/or RTF mail will be rejected.

Header e-mail address invalid.

Replace "invalid.see.sig" with:

Tue, 15 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file

 Try setting the database to read only access.

Ron Briscoe wrote in article ...

Quote:
>Just guessing, It probably need to write something to the Access
>database to tell it that the database is open and if so, It can't write
>to the CD.  I believe this is the purpose of the *.LDB files (locking
>control).

>> ----------

>> Posted At: Thursday, August 28, 1997 06:53 PM
>> Posted To: misc
>> Conversation: HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file
>> Subject: HELP: Error 3050 Couldn't lock file

>> Greetings !

>> I am trying to perform queries on an Access database that is burned on
>> CD but when I perform the following code I get an "error 3050:
>> Couldn't
>> lock file". Looking in VB4's help it seems to have help on every error
>> code BUT 3050 !!

>> frmmaster.dblink.DatabaseName = dbasename
>> frmmaster.dblink.RecordSource = "select * from " & tablename
>> frmmaster.dblink.Refresh

>> Dblink is my data control. I fails when I try to use refresh. Is there
>> something else I could use ? This worked fine when the database was on
>> my hard drive.

>> Any responses will be appreciated.

>> John

Fri, 18 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. 3050 error - Couldn't Lock File

2. Error 3050 - Couldn't Lock File

3. Error 3050 , couldn't lock file

4. Error 3050 , couldn't lock file

5. Error 3050 - Couldn't Lock File

6. Error 3050 , couldn't lock file

7. ERROR - 3050 couldn′t lock file

8. Run-time error '3050': Could not lock file

9. 3050 locking errors (COULDN'T LOCK FILE) - any ideas?

10. 3050 locking errors (COULDN'T LOCK FILE) - any ideas?

11. VB Error 3050: Couldn't lock file; SHARE.EXE hasn't been loaded.

12. VB6 Error 3050 Could not Lock File