Error 48 - Error Loading DLL
Author Message
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

We have a project in VB 4.0a (32 bit) that we can not distribute to a clean
Win95 machine successfully.

Whenever we run the newly installed executable, we receive an error:

Runtime Error 48 --
Error Loading DLL

After doing some tracing, we have found that this error occurs the first
time we reference a combobox.  We are using the standard MS combobox, and
it is not bound to any data.

The project works perfectly on the development PCs.

We have tried registering all possible DLLs, and OCXs, and we have also
tried coping in every DLL and OCX from the development PC.

The strangest part, is that if we install VB on the target PC, the error
goes away, and all is well!!!

Any ideas????

--
-Bobby

Robert D. Newman

Fri, 14 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

I had this problem, too.  Your choices are:

  a.  Try to trace through every DLL dependency.  If you have Plus!
installed, you
can right-click on a DLL and choose QuickView.  By looking at the IMPORTS
section,
you can find additional depencencies.  This will get you further, but
you'll probably
end up banging into a lot of dead ends.

  b.  Use the Setup Wizard (I was originally using method a. because I
didn't want to
take the time to do this.)  This will very possibly get you further, and
might even
work.

  c.  Try (then buy) InstallShield Express Professional, which is what I
ended up
doing.  It's more reliable, a lot slicker, better documented and has good
tech
support after an average of a 30-minute wait on hold.
<http://www.installshield.com>
to download a time-limited demo.

Quote:
> We have a project in VB 4.0a (32 bit) that we can not distribute to a
clean
> Win95 machine successfully.

> Whenever we run the newly installed executable, we receive an error:

> Runtime Error 48 --
> Error Loading DLL

> After doing some tracing, we have found that this error occurs the first
> time we reference a combobox.  We are using the standard MS combobox, and
> it is not bound to any data.

> The project works perfectly on the development PCs.

> We have tried registering all possible DLLs, and OCXs, and we have also
> tried coping in every DLL and OCX from the development PC.

> The strangest part, is that if we install VB on the target PC, the error
> goes away, and all is well!!!

> Any ideas????

> --
> -Bobby

> Robert D. Newman

Fri, 14 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

We tried all of your suggestions below with no success.  Any other ideas?

What could make it quit on a ComboBox?
--
-Bobby

Robert D. Newman

Quote:
> I had this problem, too.  Your choices are:

>   a.  Try to trace through every DLL dependency.  If you have Plus!
> installed, you
> can right-click on a DLL and choose QuickView.  By looking at the IMPORTS
> section,
> you can find additional depencencies.  This will get you further, but
> you'll probably
> end up banging into a lot of dead ends.

>   b.  Use the Setup Wizard (I was originally using method a. because I
> didn't want to
> take the time to do this.)  This will very possibly get you further, and
> might even
> work.

>   c.  Try (then buy) InstallShield Express Professional, which is what I
> ended up
> doing.  It's more reliable, a lot slicker, better documented and has good
> tech
> support after an average of a 30-minute wait on hold.
> <http://www.installshield.com>
> to download a time-limited demo.
> > We have a project in VB 4.0a (32 bit) that we can not distribute to a
> clean
> > Win95 machine successfully.

> > Whenever we run the newly installed executable, we receive an error:

> > Runtime Error 48 --
> > Error Loading DLL

> > After doing some tracing, we have found that this error occurs the
first
> > time we reference a combobox.  We are using the standard MS combobox,
and
> > it is not bound to any data.

> > The project works perfectly on the development PCs.

> > We have tried registering all possible DLLs, and OCXs, and we have also
> > tried coping in every DLL and OCX from the development PC.

> > The strangest part, is that if we install VB on the target PC, the
error
> > goes away, and all is well!!!

> > Any ideas????

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

I had a similar problem once and ended up "taking a picture" of  the master
list before and after the triggering event.  My problem was a .dll refered
to by another .dll.

Best of luck.
Dave

Quote:
> > > We have a project in VB 4.0a (32 bit) that we can not distribute to a
> > clean
> > > Win95 machine successfully.

> > > Whenever we run the newly installed executable, we receive an error:

> > > Runtime Error 48 --
> > > Error Loading DLL

> > > After doing some tracing, we have found that this error occurs the
> first
> > > time we reference a combobox.  We are using the standard MS combobox,
> and
> > > it is not bound to any data.

> > > The project works perfectly on the development PCs.

> > > We have tried registering all possible DLLs, and OCXs, and we have
also
> > > tried coping in every DLL and OCX from the development PC.

> > > The strangest part, is that if we install VB on the target PC, the
> error
> > > goes away, and all is well!!!

> > > Any ideas????

Sat, 15 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

Try Marquis Tools VB Failsafe which has a dependecy checker. you can
download a trial version from their website. Then make sure that you are
installing all the dlls.

Quote:
> We have a project in VB 4.0a (32 bit) that we can not distribute to a
clean
> Win95 machine successfully.

> Whenever we run the newly installed executable, we receive an error:

> Runtime Error 48 --
> Error Loading DLL

> After doing some tracing, we have found that this error occurs the first
> time we reference a combobox.  We are using the standard MS combobox, and
> it is not bound to any data.

> The project works perfectly on the development PCs.

> We have tried registering all possible DLLs, and OCXs, and we have also
> tried coping in every DLL and OCX from the development PC.

> The strangest part, is that if we install VB on the target PC, the error
> goes away, and all is well!!!

> Any ideas????

> --
> -Bobby

> Robert D. Newman

Sun, 16 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

If you are running Win95, you can use Quick View (comes with Plus!). Access
it via right-click on dll, select Quick View. Look at file through dll
viewer and search for Import Table. This lists the dependencies for the
dll. Drill down through all listed dll's and you should discover all
required dlls.

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

Quote:

>I had this problem, too.  Your choices are:
>  a.  Try to trace through every DLL dependency.  If you have Plus!
>installed, you
>can right-click on a DLL and choose QuickView.  By looking at the IMPORTS
>section,
>you can find additional depencencies.  This will get you further, but
>you'll probably
>end up banging into a lot of dead ends.
>  b.  Use the Setup Wizard (I was originally using method a. because I
>didn't want to
>take the time to do this.)  This will very possibly get you further, and
>might even
>work.
>  c.  Try (then buy) InstallShield Express Professional, which is what I
>ended up
>doing.  It's more reliable, a lot slicker, better documented and has good
>tech
>support after an average of a 30-minute wait on hold.
><http://www.installshield.com>
>to download a time-limited demo.

Option C is by far the best solution.  Although I chose Wise Install
and it has saved me more money than I spent on it.  I no longer have
to figure out what the problem is on the user machine.  I can highly
recommend Wise and have also heard good things about InstallShield.

Frederick A. Costello, Inc.
12864 Tewksbury Drive
Herndon, VA  22071
(703) 620-4942 (voice)
(703) 620-4134 (fax)

Mon, 17 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

Quote:

> We have a project in VB 4.0a (32 bit) that we can not distribute to a clean
> Win95 machine successfully.

> Whenever we run the newly installed executable, we receive an error:

> Runtime Error 48 --
> Error Loading DLL

> After doing some tracing, we have found that this error occurs the first
> time we reference a combobox.  We are using the standard MS combobox, and
> it is not bound to any data.

> The project works perfectly on the development PCs.

> We have tried registering all possible DLLs, and OCXs, and we have also
> tried coping in every DLL and OCX from the development PC.

> The strangest part, is that if we install VB on the target PC, the error
> goes away, and all is well!!!

> Any ideas????

> --
> -Bobby

> Robert D. Newman

I have also encountered this oddusual error after making some code
changes.  The error however, was occurring in an area of the code that
had not been edited for some time.  After some exhaustive backtracking,
I was able to determine that the error was caused by the fact that I had
declared an object (I can't recall if it was a Treeview or a Node) as a
public property.  Although the vb documentation says "don't do this," it
never says what will happen if you do.  Anyway, by setting this as a
private property and then adding corresponding Get and Set public
properties, I was able to fix the problem.

Hope that helps you some!

- John Kenyon

Sat, 22 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

I found that the comctl32.oca file needs to be included with the setup
disks for applications using Win95 Common controls.  Maybe it'll help,
maybe not.

Quote:

> > We have a project in VB 4.0a (32 bit) that we can not distribute to a
clean
> > Win95 machine successfully.

> > Whenever we run the newly installed executable, we receive an error:

> > Runtime Error 48 --
> > Error Loading DLL

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Error 48: Error Loading DLL

2. runtime error 48 error loading DLL

3. Error 48 - Error Load DLL

4. Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

5. Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

6. Runtime error 48 - error loading .DLL

7. Error 48 - Error Loading DLL

8. Run-time error 48 Error in loading DLL in XP

9. Error in loading DLL (Error 48)

10. Error 48: Error in Loading DLL

11. Error 48: Error in loading Dll.

12. Error Loading DLL:Error 48