any sample code of Arithmetic Coding in VB? 
Author Message
 any sample code of Arithmetic Coding in VB?

Do anyone know some working Arithmetic Coding sample of VB?


Sun, 14 Aug 2005 00:25:46 GMT  
 any sample code of Arithmetic Coding in VB?

Quote:

> Do anyone know some working Arithmetic Coding sample of VB?

Private Sub Form_Load()
  Dim x As Double, y As Double, z As Double

  x = Sqr(2#)
  y = Exp(x)

  z = x + y

  Debug.Print x, y, z
End Sub

What in particular do you have in mind?  For <extensive> numeric
computing I would not particularly recommend VB (at least for the
computing portion).  VB is prone to generate pretty slow code and its
syntax is clumsy for many types of numeric computations (wrt F90/95, for
example).  So, depending on what you have in mind, there are <probably>
better options.



Sun, 14 Aug 2005 01:22:46 GMT  
 any sample code of Arithmetic Coding in VB?

Quote:
> Do anyone know some working Arithmetic Coding sample of VB?

Dim a as Byte, b as Byte c as Byte
a = 1
b = 2
c = a + b

Mike



Sun, 14 Aug 2005 03:07:49 GMT  
 any sample code of Arithmetic Coding in VB?

Quote:
> Do anyone know some working Arithmetic Coding sample of VB?

In response to the other posts -- I'm guessing the subject was Arithmetic
Coding as it pertains to data compression (see
http://www.datacompression.info/ArithmeticCoding.shtml), not simple
arithmetic. =D

In response to the original post -- sorry, I don't know of any samples.  It's
one more thing I'd like to do eventually.

Murphy McCauley
www.constantthought.com



Sun, 14 Aug 2005 11:57:46 GMT  
 any sample code of Arithmetic Coding in VB?
Yes, thanks for McCauley explain my question, Arithmetic Coding is a new
high ratio statistical data compression algorithm, but as it is new, it
seems that no any working sample code in VB(but some in C++), I have
found one sample code, but it is shame that it only work on plain text
file, it returns error results in compress/decompressing binary data

here is the sample code:
http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=3...

or may be anyone know how to debug the arithmetic codec in this
program?(this program is great as it provide 61 different data
compression algorithm sample, thx for the author!)

Quote:



>>Do anyone know some working Arithmetic Coding sample of VB?

> In response to the other posts -- I'm guessing the subject was Arithmetic
> Coding as it pertains to data compression (see
> http://www.datacompression.info/ArithmeticCoding.shtml), not simple
> arithmetic. =D

> In response to the original post -- sorry, I don't know of any samples.  It's
> one more thing I'd like to do eventually.

> Murphy McCauley
> www.constantthought.com



Sun, 14 Aug 2005 15:25:30 GMT  
 any sample code of Arithmetic Coding in VB?

Quote:

> Yes, thanks for McCauley explain my question, Arithmetic Coding is a
> new high ratio statistical data compression algorithm, but as it is
> new, it seems that no any working sample code in VB(but some in C++),
> I have found one sample code, but it is shame that it only work on
> plain text file, it returns error results in compress/decompressing
> binary data

Arithmetic coding is hardly "new", but it is fairly obscure.  If memory
serves, it's essentially a way of carrying out Huffman compression to
its theoretical maximum by exploiting fractional (floating point)
coefficients.

This kind of coding has been a curiosity primarily because it's s-l-o-w,
given that existing implementations require a ton of floating-point
math.  It's the sort of thing that ASICs or specialized processors are
for.   I'd be surprised to see an efficient version in VB, but I've been
surprised before...

--

    Jim Mack
    MicroDexterity Inc
    www.microdexterity.com

Quote:
> here is the sample code:

http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/scripts/ShowCode.asp?txtCodeId=3786
7&lngWId=1
Quote:

> or may be anyone know how to debug the arithmetic codec in this
> program?(this program is great as it provide 61 different data
> compression algorithm sample, thx for the author!)




>>> Do anyone know some working Arithmetic Coding sample of VB?

>> In response to the other posts -- I'm guessing the subject was
>> Arithmetic Coding as it pertains to data compression (see
>> http://www.datacompression.info/ArithmeticCoding.shtml), not simple
>> arithmetic. =D

>> In response to the original post -- sorry, I don't know of any
>> samples.  It's one more thing I'd like to do eventually.

>> Murphy McCauley
>> www.constantthought.com



Mon, 15 Aug 2005 00:08:54 GMT  
 
 [ 6 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Sample Code Needed to Compress a MS Access file from code in a VB 6 program

2. BASIC source code for Arithmetic compression

3. any vb sample code for access database function

4. Microsoft project 95 to 2000 Sample VB code

5. WROX Beginning VB.NET, 2nd Edition Missing Sample Code

6. VB Code from this VC++ sample

7. VB sample code in .NET framework help

8. SAMPLE CODE: VB Data Object Wizard rscls uct DataGrid Checkboxes and more

9. Vb Stuff: Samples, Source-Codes, Freeware

10. VB Samples, APIs, Functions, Source-Codes,...

11. Help vb code sample

12. sample odbc code and VB ???

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software