comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4
Author Message
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

I think there should be a split of this news group. One devoted to each
of the two popular VB formats.

Any thoughts.

Dave
The Toronto Argonaut WWW site administrator
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~davewin/argos.html

Fri, 28 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4
Not a bad idea.  The only problem there is that often the questions can
span versions (work the same in both) and posting to one group would
essentially keep half of the developers from reading your question.
This could be handled by cross-posting, but if every message gets cross
posted, what was the point?

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

Quote:

> Not a bad idea.  The only problem there is that often the questions can
> span versions (work the same in both) and posting to one group would
> essentially keep half of the developers from reading your question.
> This could be handled by cross-posting, but if every message gets cross
> posted, what was the point?

Keep CLBV.misc as well.

 _  _____  _   _

| || (_) || `\| |
| ||  _  || , ` | If they give you lined paper, write the other way!
| || | | || |`\ |
(_)(_) (_)(_) (_) http://www.sn.no/~balchen/igloo/

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

Quote:

>I think there should be a split of this news group. One devoted to each
>of the two popular VB formats.

>Any thoughts.

I agree. Even better would be a comp.lang.basic.VB4.16bit and a
comp.lang.basic.VB4.32bit.

Regards,
Rod

Sun, 30 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

Quote:
>>I think there should be a split of this news group. One devoted to each
>>of the two popular VB formats.
>I agree. Even better would be a comp.lang.basic.VB4.16bit and a
>comp.lang.basic.VB4.32bit.

I don't think it will work like you think. People will crosspost as if hell
were loose.

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Mon, 31 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

Quote:

>I think there should be a split of this news group. One devoted to each
>of the two popular VB formats.
>Any thoughts.

Well, before doing this, i was wondering if anyone has done a small
statistical analysis of the VB newsgroups : What categories do most
questions belong to? e.g. networking, datacomm, graphics, misc (!).
I believe a split (if any) based on these criteria would be far better
than a split on VB3/VB4. Most of the questions are applicable to both
versions anyway, and you will end up with a hell of a lot
cross-postings.

My thoughts. :)

Tim.

Quote:
>Dave
>--
>The Toronto Argonaut WWW site administrator
>http://clo.com/~davewin/argos.html

"I know it all, I just can't remember most of it."

Tim Wuyts
Software Engineer

TCS Systems bvba                     Tel: +32 3 354 2525
Eikenlaan 2                          Fax: +32 3 354 2520

Belgium

Tue, 01 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

Quote:
>> statistical analysis of the VB newsgroups : What categories do most
>> questions belong to? e.g. networking, datacomm, graphics, misc (!).
>Sounds sensible. Are you volunteering?

How long a period? I think a month should be enough to get proper data.

--
Newbiehood is not a period of time, it's a way of life.

http://www.sn.no/~balchen/
ftp://ftp.sn.no/user/balchen/

Wed, 02 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

writes:

Quote:

> statistical analysis of the VB newsgroups : What categories do most
> questions belong to? e.g. networking, datacomm, graphics, misc (!).

Sounds sensible. Are you volunteering?

TTFN

 _  _____  _   _

| || (_) || `\| |
| ||  _  || , ` | If they give you lined paper, write the other way!
| || | | || |`\ |
(_)(_) (_)(_) (_) http://www.sn.no/~balchen/igloo/

Wed, 02 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

Quote:

>>I think there should be a split of this news group. One devoted to each
>>of the two popular VB formats.

>>Any thoughts.

>I agree. Even better would be a comp.lang.basic.VB4.16bit and a
>comp.lang.basic.VB4.32bit.

Yes! Now we're talking!!

comp.lang.basic.visual.announce
comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
comp.lang.basic.visual.database
comp.lang.basic.visual.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.announce
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.misc
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.database
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.announce
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.misc
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.database
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.3rdparty

Greetings,

| I don't believe in a no-win scenario.  |
|               - Admiral James T. Kirk  |

Fri, 04 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 comp.lang.basic.VB3 and comp.lang.basic.VB4

Quote:

>>>I think there should be a split of this news group. One devoted to each
>>>of the two popular VB formats.

>>>Any thoughts.

>>I agree. Even better would be a comp.lang.basic.VB4.16bit and a
>>comp.lang.basic.VB4.32bit.

>Yes! Now we're talking!!

>comp.lang.basic.visual.announce
>comp.lang.basic.visual.misc
>comp.lang.basic.visual.database
>comp.lang.basic.visual.3rdparty
>comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.announce
>comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.misc
>comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.database
>comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.3rdparty
>comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.announce
>comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.misc
>comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.database
>comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.3rdparty

But why stop there?  How 'bout this?

comp.lang.basic.visual.forms.announce
comp.lang.basic.visual.forms.misc
comp.lang.basic.visual.forms.database
comp.lang.basic.visual.forms.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.forms.announce
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.forms.misc
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.forms.database
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.forms.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.forms.announce
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.forms.misc
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.forms.database
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.forms.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.visual.modules.announce
comp.lang.basic.visual.modules.misc
comp.lang.basic.visual.modules.database
comp.lang.basic.visual.modules.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.modules.announce
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.modules.misc
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.modules.database
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.modules.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.modules.announce
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.modules.misc
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.modules.database
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.modules.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.classes.announce
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.classes.misc
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.classes.database
comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.classes.3rdparty
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.classes.announce
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.classes.misc
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.classes.database
comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.classes.3rdparty

While the current traffic in some of the c.l.b.v.* groups may be high enough to
warrant a split, a version-based split is a bad idea.  Many, many questions can
apply to VB3 or VB4, or even VB4 32-bit.

Perhaps a .controls group to deal with questions about VBX and OCX controls or
something like that will help, but a version-based split will only increase
crossposting.

"While I have VB4 16-bit, my problem would also apply to VB3 and VB4 32-bit, so
I'd better post in those groups too so someone will be sure to see my question."

Tell me nobody would think that.  Go ahead.  Try to make me believe you.

Eric Rossing
Intec Company, Inc.

Sat, 05 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

Ikola) writes:

> comp.lang.basic.visual.announce
> comp.lang.basic.vb4.16bit.announce
> comp.lang.basic.vb4.32bit.announce

Is it really worth splitting announce?

TTFN

 _  _____  _   _

| || (_) || `\| |
| ||  _  || , ` | If they give you lined paper, write the other way!
| || | | || |`\ |
(_)(_) (_)(_) (_) http://www.sn.no/~balchen/igloo/

Sat, 05 Sep 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. comp.lang.basic.visual.3rdparty,comp.lang.basic.visual.database,comp., lang.basic.visual.misc

2. BASIC.FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions on comp.lang.basic.misc

3. comp.lang.basic.visual.database3->VB4, Access2 pword prob ALSO START/Run=file not found

4. REQ: comp.lang.basic.misc.FAQ and ini help

5. FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions in comp.lang.basic.misc

6. FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions in comp.lang.basic.misc

7. John Gutherie alleged source of forged Matrin Lin article on comp.lang.basic.misc

8. Anyone know what happened to the comp.lang.basic.visual newsgroup

9. FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions in comp.lang.basic.misc

10. FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions in comp.lang.basic.misc

11. Attn: comp.lang.basic.misc - JUMBO DNS Problem

12. FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions in comp.lang.basic.misc