Animation Flicker
Author Message
 Animation Flicker

I managed to do a simple animation by swapping the Picture property
in a picture box with several other hidden picture boxes. But I needed
to have a transparent background (like those in the icons). So I used
some code from the microsoft KB and did it. Then it started leaving
trails behind, ie it did not delete the old image when the new frame
came in. So I used the Refresh method. Now the animation flickers a
great deal, even on a Pentium 100.

Ideas anyone?
Thanks in advance,
Joshua Chan

Wed, 20 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Animation Flicker
Don't refresh verytime -- too slow. Grab the area that you are bitblting
to before doing so and then when you're done bitblt it back.  Doing so will
put everything back the way you found it -- without repainting the whole
picture box.

Brand

http://www.cs.orst.edu/~huntbr

Wed, 20 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Animation Flicker
The method I used was to use a mirror picture box that is offscreen or in
another hidden form.  Paint everything you want to change, then bitblt the
picture box from the offscreen to the onscreen.  Also,
make sure that you have AutoRefresh set to on for both.  Otherwise if you
minimize the window then reopen it, you'll have a blank picture box.
Also, turn Clip Controls to ON at least for the Visible Box only if you
have other objects (ie picture boxes) on top of your main picture box.

-Dan Swaney "The Swaynster"

--

"Go Eagles Go!"

Thu, 21 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Animation Flicker

Quote:

>Don't refresh verytime -- too slow. Grab the area that you are bitblting
>to before doing so and then when you're done bitblt it back.  Doing so will
>put everything back the way you found it -- without repainting the whole
>picture box.

Thanks for your advice. But, I am quite new to this, and I don't really
know how to do what you just mentioned. It would help if you could explain
how bitblt works and how I use it.

--
Joshua Chan

Thu, 21 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT
 Animation Flicker

Quote:

>Thanks for your advice. But, I am quite new to this, and I don't really
>know how to do what you just mentioned. It would help if you could explain
>how bitblt works and how I use it.

Check calldlls.mak application that comes with VB 3.0 and paste some code from
there. I did the same two weeks ago and it works just fine. If you have any
problems with it, just mail to me for some more code.

Jussi Vakkala
YTV
Helsinki, Finland

Sat, 23 May 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. animation flickering problem again

2. Flicker-Free Animation in Screen 13 without messing up the Background

3. flicker free animation in SCREEN 12

4. Flickering of animation

5. : How to do BitBlt animation without flicker?

6. Flicker Free animation w/o 3rd party

7. Flicker in Animation

8. Flicker in Animation

9. Screen Flicker and SSTab Control and Animation.

10. Animation and flickering

11. Reducing flicker during animation - suggestions?

12. Sprite animation without an animation control?