Your help would be useful...
Author Message
 Your help would be useful...

Hello.

I have a fully working VB6 program, but there is a slight problem.

This program is used by people world over for a computer game utility and
has proven to be quite popular. I originally wrote the program as a way to
learn VB from scratch.

Well, it's developed quite a bit and some chunks of the code are still the
original coding from my first attempts at VB.

Would anyone like to give me a Christmas present and have a look through my
code and suggest improvements, etc?

The code contains: Arrays, Loops, Drawing and Reading Text files.

Also, the program is only 300kb when compiled as an exe, but if I make it
into a setup program, it becomes over 2meg! The only additional controls it
includes are Rich Text Boxes and some extra VB controls (scroll bars and
slide bars).

Many Thanks

Stuart

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:37:17 GMT
 Your help would be useful...
This extra bulk of your setup package is all the run-time DLLs and stuff.

Quote:
> Hello.

> I have a fully working VB6 program, but there is a slight problem.

> This program is used by people world over for a computer game utility and
> has proven to be quite popular. I originally wrote the program as a way to
> learn VB from scratch.

> Well, it's developed quite a bit and some chunks of the code are still the
> original coding from my first attempts at VB.

> Would anyone like to give me a Christmas present and have a look through
my
> code and suggest improvements, etc?

> The code contains: Arrays, Loops, Drawing and Reading Text files.

> Also, the program is only 300kb when compiled as an exe, but if I make it
> into a setup program, it becomes over 2meg! The only additional controls
it
> includes are Rich Text Boxes and some extra VB controls (scroll bars and
> slide bars).

> Many Thanks

> Stuart

Wed, 04 Jun 2003 22:50:18 GMT
 Your help would be useful...
Stuart,

How long ago did you write it?
How long has it been since you last looked at the code?

If the answer to either of the above is more than a couple of months *and* you
can still make [perfect] sense of what you wrote, I'd suggest it's fine as it
is.

Sure, there are always performance tweaks you can add in but, if your User Base
is happy, stick to the old adage - "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Regards,
    Phill  W.

Quote:

> Hello.

> I have a fully working VB6 program, but there is a slight problem.

> This program is used by people world over for a computer game utility and
> has proven to be quite popular. I originally wrote the program as a way to
> learn VB from scratch.

> Well, it's developed quite a bit and some chunks of the code are still the
> original coding from my first attempts at VB.

> Would anyone like to give me a Christmas present and have a look through my
> code and suggest improvements, etc?

> The code contains: Arrays, Loops, Drawing and Reading Text files.

> Also, the program is only 300kb when compiled as an exe, but if I make it
> into a setup program, it becomes over 2meg! The only additional controls it
> includes are Rich Text Boxes and some extra VB controls (scroll bars and
> slide bars).

> Many Thanks

> Stuart

Fri, 06 Jun 2003 21:12:47 GMT

1. Help Creating a useful VScroll bar

2. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

4. I am trying to update a record, i am not using data control

5. UseFul Info

6. VBA for Word useful websites.

7. Obiect=Nothing is still useful?

8. What are delegates useful for?

9. Survey 21: When clause, is it useful?

10. Did you find that site useful?

11. A small but useful routine

12. Useful QB routines...