Did VBits '95 happen?
Author Message
 Did VBits '95 happen?

According to the Feb VBPJ, a VB conference called Vbits '95 just ended yesterday in San Francisco.
But I have seen nary a peep about it in this newsgroup.  Did anything newsworthy happen there?
Any interesting announcements?  Or did it turn out to be a non-event?  Or is it being boycotted
because so many were annoyed :-) with "those VBPJ idiots"?

Tue, 26 Aug 1997 23:29:30 GMT
 Did VBits '95 happen?
<<<Did anything newsworthy happen there? Any interesting
announcements?  Or did it turn out to be a non-event?  Or is it
being boycotted because so many were annoyed :-) with "those VBPJ
idiots"?>>>

1,500 people came and got rained on <g>.

Best talk was Daniel Appleman's comparison of VB
(optimized/non-optimized)/Delphi/C++). VB came in both slowest and
fastest. Delphi came in third.

Also cool was Carl Franklin's Internet talk. Everyone gasped when
they saw the size of the storm coming in (he dialed up a weather
service to get the latest radar picture).

I'll let everyone else give their feedback.

Robert Scoble
Visual Basic Programmer's Journal

Sun, 31 Aug 1997 14:12:42 GMT
 Did VBits '95 happen?

Quote:

>According to the Feb VBPJ, a VB conference called Vbits '95 just ended yesterday in San Francisco.
>But I have seen nary a peep about it in this newsgroup.  Did anything newsworthy happen there?
>Any interesting announcements?  Or did it turn out to be a non-event?  Or is it being boycotted
>because so many were annoyed :-) with "those VBPJ idiots"?

Well, the London VBITS happened! It wasn't bad, and Microsoft gave us a peek
at VB4 - after we'd signed an NDA of course, so I can't tell you what's in it.

Let's just say that there are some cool things in it for which you would previously
have had to buy add-ons.

BTW, the VBPJ Catalog on Disk database DOESN'T WORK!!! I tried running it and it
says a table doesn't exist - but it does!!! I hope Jimmy Fawcette will clear
this up for all us Internet scroungers who buy his magazine...

+--------------------------------------------------------------+--------------------+

|                                                              |                    |
|       8-14 Mount Charles, Belfast BT7 1NZ, N. Ireland        | These are my views,|

Tue, 02 Sep 1997 01:53:32 GMT
 Did VBits '95 happen?

__>Best talk was Daniel Appleman's comparison of VB
__>(optimized/non-optimized)/Delphi/C++). VB came in both slowest and
__>fastest. Delphi came in third.

    Of course, Borland had not "funding" behind VBits.

___
* UniQWK #50  * Pennsylvania: Those aren't potholes, they are speed bumps.

== IntJet: QWK, UK, USA, Windows, GUI, OLR, Color, CU 267
'[1;35;40m-=> Delphi Internet Jet SST v3.003B (Beta) - (C) PBE

Thu, 04 Sep 1997 07:26:36 GMT
 Did VBits '95 happen?

Quote:

>>According to the Feb VBPJ, a VB conference called Vbits '95 just ended

yesterday in San Francisco.
Quote:
>>But I have seen nary a peep about it in this newsgroup.  Did anything

newsworthy happen there?
[snip]

I went to VBits '94. It was really big. But did Fawcette advise any of us
about VBits '95. No, they didn't. Very strange, seeing as how they had
the ultimate mailing list from last year. So I missed it.

Still, I *do* have the VB4 beta so unless there were any killer
third-party .VBXs, I may not have missed much. Anyone see anything great
there?

Mon, 08 Sep 1997 05:57:23 GMT

1. demos from VBITS'95 Client/Server workshop

2. VBITS'95 Articles Wanted

3. VBITS '95

4. VBITS'95 in SF? Any opinions?

6. Login Off's In Windows '95/'98

7. How to rid Switchboard Error from 95's and 98's

8. '95 to '97 conversion problems

9. VB4 and Wang's Imaging OCX for Windows '95/NT

10. What happened to 'vb form virus'?

11. Can't understand what's happening

12. HELP NEEDED: Access 95 DAO Error - Won't Start, Access Quits