ActiveX or ActiveX Document???
Author Message
 ActiveX or ActiveX Document???

I know you can use ActiveX controls or ActiveX Document in web pages, but
what are the limitations or differences between each.

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:39:19 GMT
 ActiveX or ActiveX Document???
Hi Sequeira,

ActiveX Controls or ActiveX documents have to be downloaded to the client
system and have to be registered on the client system. You might face
problems
if the registry on the system is locked for editing or if it is not allowed
to down load files into some directories like "C:\Winnt\System32" etc. (This
happened to
me recently. For Windows2000 systems in our company, they have locked the
registry and disallowed writing into specific directories. Hence my activex
documents projects failed).

Also ActiveX documents can't be executed under Netscape Navigator. I think
Explore 3.x and above can understand ActiveX documents.

HTH,

-Srini.

Quote:

> I know you can use ActiveX controls or ActiveX Document in web pages, but
> what are the limitations or differences between each.

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 10:32:24 GMT
 ActiveX or ActiveX Document???
Use JAVA or something if you want to use the web.

Or use server side COM/ActiveX Objects.

Quote:
> I know you can use ActiveX controls or ActiveX Document in web pages, but
> what are the limitations or differences between each.

Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:35:11 GMT
 ActiveX or ActiveX Document???
How do you program COM/ActiveX Objects in VB?

You see, I want to make a plug-in for internet explorer or netscape
navigator. How do I do that? If I program it in Delphi, it may be
cross-platform portable, (if I program it carefully). Are plug-ins for web
browsers best to program in C++, or can it also be done in VB(I know then it
won't be cross-platform protable then)

I want to make a scripting language for internet explorer, but I don't know
how to start. How do you think a java clone can be made in vb? I know how to
do the parsing of the language, and possibly even make an IDE, but I don't
know how to do the core part of the plug-in. If anybody can help me, or
would like to work as a team, please reply.

Quote:
> Use JAVA or something if you want to use the web.

> Or use server side COM/ActiveX Objects.

> > I know you can use ActiveX controls or ActiveX Document in web pages,
but
> > what are the limitations or differences between each.

Wed, 04 Feb 2004 00:58:29 GMT
 ActiveX or ActiveX Document???

>I want to make a scripting language for internet explorer, but I don't know
>how to start. How do you think a java clone can be made in vb? I know how to
>do the parsing of the language, and possibly even make an IDE, but I don't
>know how to do the core part of the plug-in. If anybody can help me, or
>would like to work as a team, please reply.

I've just been through this.  A neat techno nightmare.  The company has
already made scriptable active X objects in VB.  That's old technology, and
trivial to do.  Doing it in C++ is not nearly as easy.  Everybody does this
in VB because it's a lot simpler.  However, doing it that way implicitly
ties you into the Microsoft Way.

I've managed to create a scriptable ActiveX object in C++, but it wasn't
pretty.  I intend to figure out the vanilla code in my FREE TIME - this
time I had to use the IDL.  The C++ implementations are practically
non-existant, and if you buy the books they toss you into IDL almost
instantly.  However, this can be done.  I just haven't figured out how.

As soon as I figure out a vanilla C++ Active X scriptable object, I'll post
an example to the net.  The only reason people are keeping this a secret is
because its profitable, and that's one cat I want out of the bag.

--

                http://members.home.net/wright411

             Ambassador, n: an honest man sent abroad to lie.

Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:41:25 GMT

1. Hosting a WebBrowser Control Inside ActiveX Document or ActiveX Control to be Ho

2. ActiveX Documents containing ActiveX Components - Internet download problem

3. Intranet application with ActiveX Document and Activex Server Component

4. Intranet application with ActiveX Document and Activex Server Component

5. sizing an Activex Document to the document size in IE

6. Display a VBD file from an ActiveX Document Server DLL in a HTML Document

7. ActiveX.exe or ActiveX DLL or ActiveX Control?????????????

8. ActiveX DLL, ActiveX EXE & ActiveX OCX version

9. ActiveX DLL, ActiveX EXE & ActiveX OCX version

10. Accessing IE Frames from VB5 ActiveX Documents

11. Help Request: System Error when trying to save a word document with embedded ActiveX controls

12. Visio as a ActiveX Document