Locking in VB with OpenLink ODBC and Progress7
Author Message
 Locking in VB with OpenLink ODBC and Progress7

Help please.

I am using VB4 and the OpenLink ODBC drivers to access a Progress7 database
running under HPUX.  I need to retreive an entire table (about 200,000
records).  I am running into a problem with locking.  Even though I do not
require any locks, I can't seem to avoid locking records.  The strange
thing is that, when I run the exact same query using Access against the
attached tables, it works fine.  I have selected no locks in the options
menu for ODBC settings.  Does anyone know how to set this option from code
in VB4?  From everything I can gather from the help files, this is being
performed as a SQLPass-through query.  Is this so?  Any help at all would
be greatly appreciated.

Here is a sample of my code:

    Dim dbAccounts As Database
    Dim rsCustomers As Recordset
    Dim qdCustomers As QueryDef

    Dim SQL As String

    Set dbAccounts = DBEngine.OpenDatabase("account.mdb ")
    Set qdCustomers = dbAccounts.CreateQueryDef("Select Customers")

    qdCustomers.Connect = "ODBC;DSN=Account Database;UID=" & UserID &
";PWD=" & Password & ";"

    SQL = "SELECT * " & _
          "FROM customer " & _
          "WHERE customer.customer_num > 0 " & _
          "ORDER BY customer.customer_id."
    qdCustomers.SQL = SQL
    qdCustomers.ODBCTimeout = 14400
    qdCustomers.ReturnsRecords = True
    Set rsCustomers = dbAccounts.OpenRecordset("Select Customers")
    .
    .
    .

Sat, 08 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Locking in VB with OpenLink ODBC and Progress7

I'm no expert on this but since no one else has answered I'll try. I'm
thinking INI file. I think that the INI file for an app has many setup
parameters for SQL access. Check VB.INI and whatever Access uses for an INI
file.

Quote:
> require any locks, I can't seem to avoid locking records.  The strange
> thing is that, when I run the exact same query using Access against the
> attached tables, it works fine.  I have selected no locks in the options

Tue, 18 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Locking in VB with OpenLink ODBC and Progress7

2. VB 5.0 - Informix Text Datatype - OpenLink ODBC

3. OpenLink Unleashes New Virtual Database Engine supporting all ODBC compliant databases

4. ODBC: OpenLink Drivers?

5. Record Lock : VB / DB2 / MSRDC / ODBC

6. Record Lock : VB / DB2 / MSRDC / ODBC

7. VB 4.0 and ODBC and Oracle 7 and locks (need help)

8. Record Lock : VB / DB2 / MSRDC / ODBC

9. VB to Informix using ODBC - Problems with Locks

10. Record Lock : VB / DB2 / MSRDC / ODBC

11. Record Lock : VB / DB2 / MSRDC / ODBC

12. RDO and Openlink don't work ???