Packaging a VB front end/Access back end application
Author Message
 Packaging a VB front end/Access back end application

I've been creating Access db applications for a while now and packaging them
using Dev Tools (providing runtime).  However, there are drawbacks: i.e. I'm
using A2K and if A97 is installed on a user's system, runtime won't install
automatically and the user won't know what to do to use the application.  I
completed a beginner's VB course which skipped over the linking to
databases.  I'm wondering if I package an application using an Access db,
does the user need to have Access in order for me to manipulate tables,
compact the db, etc.?  Thanks.

--
Karen Stern
A Little Help Computer Services

www.alittlehelp.net

Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:49:32 GMT
 Packaging a VB front end/Access back end application
If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you have a VB
program which uses MS-Access databases, does the user need MS-Access to use
the DB functionality?  If this is your question the answer is no, the files
you deliver with your VB application will include the capability to create
and edit MS-Access database files with your VB application. When you are
completed with your VB project the Package and Deployment Wizard should
guide you through which additional files will be needed to install on a
user's system with will provide the MS-Access DB functionality. So, the user
themselves do not need Ms-Access.

Tim Hirtle

Quote:
> I've been creating Access db applications for a while now and packaging
them
> using Dev Tools (providing runtime).  However, there are drawbacks: i.e.
I'm
> using A2K and if A97 is installed on a user's system, runtime won't
install
> automatically and the user won't know what to do to use the application.
> completed a beginner's VB course which skipped over the linking to
> databases.  I'm wondering if I package an application using an Access db,
> does the user need to have Access in order for me to manipulate tables,
> compact the db, etc.?  Thanks.

> --
> Karen Stern
> A Little Help Computer Services
> 518-885-4549

> www.alittlehelp.net

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 02:25:09 GMT
 Packaging a VB front end/Access back end application
But, let me point out a caveat: when we talk about an "Access database"
with VB, we really mean the Jet database engine that is supported both
in Access and in VB. VB comes with Jet, and you can package with
necessary support for the database features you include in your VB
application ONLY. Certain features that are part of the Access product,
e.g., importing a text file, compacting the database, or repairing the
database, are not available unless you code that feature for your users
in your VB application.

Simply put, you can give your user features to use the database, but
you aren't giving them the runtime for a limited DBMS as you are with
Access.

That said, Access distribuition problems are one of the reasons that
people use VB front-ends with Jet databases. But, there are some
countermeasures to some of the conflicts. Visit the FAQ site for
comp.databases.ms-access at http://www.mvps.org/access, and if you
don't find references there, post in the newsgroup about ways to avoid
some of the problems.

Quote:
> If I understand your question correctly, you are asking if you have a
VB
> program which uses MS-Access databases, does the user need MS-Access
to use
> the DB functionality?  If this is your question the answer is no, the
files
> you deliver with your VB application will include the capability to
create
> and edit MS-Access database files with your VB application. When you
are
> completed with your VB project the Package and Deployment Wizard
should
> guide you through which additional files will be needed to install on
> user's system with will provide the MS-Access DB functionality. So,
the user
> themselves do not need Ms-Access.

> Tim Hirtle

> > I've been creating Access db applications for a while now and
packaging
> them
> > using Dev Tools (providing runtime).  However, there are drawbacks:
i.e.
> I'm
> > using A2K and if A97 is installed on a user's system, runtime won't
> install
> > automatically and the user won't know what to do to use the
application.
> > completed a beginner's VB course which skipped over the linking to
> > databases.  I'm wondering if I package an application using an
Access db,
> > does the user need to have Access in order for me to manipulate
tables,
> > compact the db, etc.?  Thanks.

> > --
> > Karen Stern
> > A Little Help Computer Services
> > 518-885-4549

> > www.alittlehelp.net

 L. M. (Larry) Linson
  http://www.ntpcug.org - North Texas PC User Group - Visit and Join
  http://www.ntmsdevsigs.homestead.com - NTPCUG Developer SIGs
  http://homestead.deja.com/user.accdevel - Access examples

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Tue, 17 Jun 2003 06:58:36 GMT

1. Access Back End, VB Front End -- Why?

2. Access Back End, VB Front End -- Why?

3. Trying to Create a communicator for VB.net Front End and SQL 2000 back end

4. VB Front end dll loses connection to back end SQL server db after an hour

5. Problem Connecting VB front end to C++ back end

6. A2k: Controlling a back-end MDB from its FRONT-end MDB

7. A2K Updating Back End with new fields from Front End

8. Compact the back-end data from the front-end

9. Corrupted back end corrputs all front ends!

10. Splitting db in front end and back end

11. Compact back-end front-end

12. Front-End & Back-End