Editing large files >5GB
Author Message
 Editing large files >5GB

How can i find the current read/write position in a file
which is larger than 3GB??
The Seek function returns values only up to 2,147,483,647...

Any help appreciated,
Rafal

Tue, 23 Dec 2003 17:40:12 GMT
 Editing large files >5GB
You can use the SetFilePointerEx API to move to positions greater than a
32bit integer.  The catch is that you must do all your file I/O with the API
because you need a file handle to pass to this function.  As far as I know,
you can't use the file I/O API with files opened in VB because you can't get
a file handle.  Some APIs to look at if you decide to take this route are
CreateFile, WriteFile[Ex], ReadFile[Ex], CloseHandle and of course
SetFilePointer[Ex].  There are several others...

Quote:
> How can i find the current read/write position in a file
> which is larger than 3GB??
> The Seek function returns values only up to 2,147,483,647...

> Any help appreciated,
> Rafal

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 02:50:20 GMT

1. open a text file in VBScript having 500k characters in length and 5GB

2. how do I allow user edit of large text file

3. very large EXE-file => memory problem

4. >>>> HELP WITH RUNTIME FILES

5. Editing text files >32k

8. >>>Feed Access Parameter From A Batch File

9. CommonDialog.ShowOpen VB4>>>Extracting Files Names under Multiselect

10. <<<Gif Files>>>

11. >>>>>>While Not rst.EOF

12. PSUDOCODE HELP >>>>>>>>>>>