How to crystal report from secure MDB??
Author Message
 How to crystal report from secure MDB??

I have a secure database (access 2.0). I'm trying to start a
report from VB, using the PrintEngine calls in CRPE.DLL. This
works fine with any other non-secure DB, but not when using
the secured-db with username and password.

Anyone have some example-code on how to connect to this
sort of databases?

--
Tommy Ovesen
Norway

Fri, 05 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to crystal report from secure MDB??

Hi Tommy,

I just went thru this thing. Here is what I learned....

Crystal Reports REQUIRES the 'system.mda' file.
So, when you made your database secure, you need to have the .MDA file
named 'system.mda.

No exceptions. Period.

I spent $95 with Microsoft and half a day on the phone to them and Crystal
Tech Support.
Crystal finally admitted that this is a current issue, and is still not
solved even with release 5.0
So....now you have the right information.

Next, when you application starts, you need to initialize the call to the
secured database. This
works well in your 'main' form load event. You need to tell it to go look
in your MyApp.ini file, and
then to the system.mda file for persmission to access the database. The big
question here is...
'where' do you think your customer is going to install your application ?
If they select another
location, your .ini file is not pointing to the right path, so it can find
the system.mda file. So many
variables. Whew. I wrote some code that handles all this, so no matter what
your customer does,
everything is pointing to the right path.

Also, since you initialized the secured database on start-up of the main
form, you no longer need
to do that again for as long as your app is running....unless of course you
'closed' the database
along the way.

So, there you have it. A couple of weeks worth of incredible
frustration...all for free.

Let me know if you need help/code for the .ini file part.

Good Luck,

   -- Mike

Reference:

Quote:
> I have a secure database (access 2.0). I'm trying to start a
> report from VB, using the PrintEngine calls in CRPE.DLL. This
> works fine with any other non-secure DB, but not when using
> the secured-db with username and password.

> Anyone have some example-code on how to connect to this
> sort of databases?

> --
> Tommy Ovesen
> Norway

Sat, 06 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 How to crystal report from secure MDB??

 on Mon, 16 Sep 1996 10:52:48 +0200,
 Tommy Ovesen <Tommy> writes:

Quote:
>I have a secure database (access 2.0). I'm trying to start a
>report from VB, using the PrintEngine calls in CRPE.DLL. This
>works fine with any other non-secure DB, but not when using
>the secured-db with username and password.

>Anyone have some example-code on how to connect to this
>sort of databases?

>--
>Tommy Ovesen
>Norway

I have just developed an application a month ago with an Access 2.0 secured
database. The only things I needed to do were:
-To have the right .MDA in the same location as MDB and RPT
-To use SetDefaultWorkSpace to access the MDB from VB (yeah, I know you know)
-To use report1.UserName and report1.Password before using report1.Action=1
That worked fine, without .INI. Is there any reason for not using the VBX/OCX
instead of the PrintEngine calls?

Hope this helps,
Fernando.

Sat, 06 Mar 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. How to crystal report from secure MDB??

2. Using Secured *.mdb's with Crystal Reports

3. Can't create reports from a secured Access 97 .mdb

4. Crystal Reports and Secure Access Tables

5. Crystal Reports and Secure Access Tables

6. Secure database and Crystal Reports

7. CRYSTAL REPORTS AND SECURE ACCESS DATABASE

8. Crystal Reports and Secured Database

9. Crystal Reports and secured database

10. Crystal Reports and Secure databases

11. Securing Crystal Reports

12. Secure Crystal Reports