Office 97 Broke my Visual Basic
Author Message
 Office 97 Broke my Visual Basic

Office 97 appearently needs a new set of olexxx.dll's in order to
operate properly.  Visual Basic uses these also, especially when
applied with the tools/reference command that allows you to access
ole objects.

When Microsoft released explorer 3.0 final release, it replaced the
oleaut32.dll with a different one and it broke visual basic, but this
was fixable because you could copy back the old version and it would
work again.

However, you can not do that with it now because too many files were
changed by Office 97.

HELP -- I really need to use my visual basic and don't wish to do
a total re-install of all my applications minus Office 97.

Lots of errors occured.  Before my Visual basic 4.0 would even start
to run, I had to resinstall it.  Then, it keeps saying that certain
dll's can't register themselves.  I ignored these for now, and then
tried to work with my program, however, it creates page faults
when accessing tools/reference just like after installing the
final release of explorer.  That was fixable by reinstalling the
oleaut32.dll from windows 95 cd... THIS IS NOT.  If you do that then
it makes things worse my causing visual basic to quit immediately and
report that it has an unexpected error...

Michael
(Trying to be good about comments regarding quality control...)

--
Michael Benson
WWW:     http://www.*-*-*.com/ ~mbenson

Tue, 06 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97 Broke my Visual Basic

If you are on NT 3.51 you might want to look at OLEPRO32.DLL

Charles Carlin

Quote:
>Office 97 appearently needs a new set of olexxx.dll's in order to
>operate properly.  Visual basic uses these also, especially when
>applied with the tools/reference command that allows you to access
>ole objects.

>When Microsoft released explorer 3.0 final release, it replaced the
>oleaut32.dll with a different one and it broke visual basic, but this
>was fixable because you could copy back the old version and it would
>work again.

>However, you can not do that with it now because too many files were
>changed by Office 97.

>HELP -- I really need to use my visual basic and don't wish to do
>a total re-install of all my applications minus Office 97.

>Lots of errors occured.  Before my Visual basic 4.0 would even start
>to run, I had to resinstall it.  Then, it keeps saying that certain
>dll's can't register themselves.  I ignored these for now, and then
>tried to work with my program, however, it creates page faults
>when accessing tools/reference just like after installing the
>final release of explorer.  That was fixable by reinstalling the
>oleaut32.dll from windows 95 cd... THIS IS NOT.  If you do that then
>it makes things worse my causing visual basic to quit immediately and
>report that it has an unexpected error...

>Michael
>(Trying to be good about comments regarding quality control...)

>--
>Michael Benson
>WWW:    http://bacon.gmu.edu/~mbenson

Fri, 09 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97 Broke my Visual Basic

I had that problem ALSO, but no, that did not fix it.  I had to end up
resinstalling everything I own...

Michael

: If you are on NT 3.51 you might want to look at OLEPRO32.DLL

: Charles Carlin

: >Office 97 appearently needs a new set of olexxx.dll's in order to
: >operate properly.  Visual basic uses these also, especially when
: >applied with the tools/reference command that allows you to access
: >ole objects.
: >
[...]
: >--
: >Michael Benson
: >WWW:    http://bacon.gmu.edu/~mbenson

--
Michael Benson
WWW:    http://bacon.gmu.edu/~mbenson

Sat, 10 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97 Broke my Visual Basic

I also had the misfortune of trying out a Beta version of Office 97 and
having my VB 4 not working properly.  Even uninstalling Office 97 didn't
fix the problem.  I found out that it had changed the Comctl32.ocx,
Comdlg32.ocx, Dblist32.ocx and Richtx32.ocx files to ActiveX OCX files.
When I replaced those files with the files on the VB 4 CD, it worked fine.
I also tried the VB 5 CCE Beta and it did the same thing to my VB 4.
Something with ActiveX that it doesn't like I guess.

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97 Broke my Visual Basic

I have Office 97 release version and VB4 running on both NT4 Server and
Win95 no problems

rgds
Rob Agnew
r&d TeamSoft

Quote:
> I also had the misfortune of trying out a Beta version of Office 97 and
> having my VB 4 not working properly.  Even uninstalling Office 97 didn't
> fix the problem.  I found out that it had changed the Comctl32.ocx,
> Comdlg32.ocx, Dblist32.ocx and Richtx32.ocx files to ActiveX OCX files.
> When I replaced those files with the files on the VB 4 CD, it worked
fine.
> I also tried the VB 5 CCE Beta and it did the same thing to my VB 4.
> Something with ActiveX that it doesn't like I guess.

Sat, 17 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97 Broke my Visual Basic

Quote:

>I had that problem ALSO, but no, that did not fix it.  I had to end up
>resinstalling everything I own...

>Michael

We had the opposite problem -- installing VB or even a VB program broke Access
V2.  I forget which DLL, but they were mutually incompatible.  Had to go to V7
to cure it.  You'd think Microsoft would be more careful about compatibility.

Allen
--
Allen Windhorn
Kato Engineering (A Rockwell Automation Company)

Sun, 18 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Office 97 Broke my Visual Basic

Quote:

>We had the opposite problem -- installing VB or even a VB program broke Access
>V2.  I forget which DLL, but they were mutually incompatible.  Had to go to V7
>to cure it.  You'd think Microsoft would be more careful about compatibility.

Which VB? Never had any problems with that here - VB3, VB4, and Access
2 all seem quite happy with each other. Casting my mind back a long
time (November '94, in fact), there was a Service Pack for Access 2
which updated the Jet Engine - I imagine if you missed that, it might
not get on with VB4, since the latter was released some time later.

Paul

Mon, 19 Jul 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Office 97 Breaks Visual Basic 4.0

2. Break apart (split) a string in Visual Basic/Access 97

3. visual basic 4 and office 97

4. Visual Basic & Office 97

5. Visual Basic and Office '97

6. Visual Basic and MS Office 97

7. Office 97 breaks vb4-32 application -- Error 3041

8. VBA for Office 95 vs Office 97

9. difference Office XP VAB and Office 97 VBA

10. Will Office-97 VBA macros work in Office-XP

11. Office 97 Vs. Office 2000

12. Office 2000 & Office 97 Automation Error