How to create temp table?
Author Message
 How to create temp table?

Using VB6.0 and SQL server 6.0, how do I create a temporary table?
Thanks,
Francis

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to create temp table?
Check into the SQL "CREATE TABLE" statement.

Quote:
> Using VB6.0 and SQL server 6.0, how do I create a temporary table?
> Thanks,
> Francis

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to create temp table?
Check into the SQL "CREATE TABLE" statement. Francis A. Lobresco
Quote:

> Using VB6.0 and SQL server 6.0, how do I create a temporary table?
> Thanks,
> Francis

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to create temp table?
Using VB6.0 and SQL server 6.0, how do I create a temporary table? Thanks,
Francis

Mon, 03 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to create temp table?

Quote:

> Using VB6.0 and SQL server 6.0, how do I create a temporary table?

There are 2 ways:

1. Create Table #<Table Name> ... The # does the trick here. Look
   into what ##<Table Name> can do.

2. SELECT ... INTO <Table Name> FROM ... This requires that the Temp
   Table/Batch Data Transfer upload option be set on the server (forget
   the actual option name.) That means the Transaction log is regularly
   shot to hell. You can't use this in a production application.

In a previous life I worked on a Retail Banking automation product
using Sybase SQL Server (MS SQL Server base source comes from Sybase.)
We used to create required temp tables at design time and permanently
leave them them there. When a program needed it, it would

        - DELETE FROM <Table> (no where condition)

        - Use the table and hopefully clean up afterwards

That's faster, no table-creation overhead for the program. You can
scrupulously follow the data-types, rules and other project standards
for tables and columns as the table is created at design time. When
you create them in code, there's this temptation to use a and tmp_cod
as column names.

--
MikeC

Please reply to the group.

Wed, 05 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 How to create temp table?

Quote:

> Using VB6.0 and SQL server 6.0, how do I create a temporary table?

There are 2 ways:

1. Create Table #<Table Name> ... The # does the trick here. Look
   into what ##<Table Name> can do.

2. SELECT ... INTO <Table Name> FROM ... This requires that the Temp
   Table/Batch Data Transfer upload option be set on the server (forget
   the actual option name.) That means the Transaction log is regularly
   shot to hell. You can't use this in a production application.

In a previous life I worked on a Retail Banking automation product using
Sybase SQL Server (MS SQL Server base source comes from Sybase.) We used to
create required temp tables at design time and permanently leave them them
there. When a program needed it
, it would

        - DELETE FROM <Table> (no where condition)

        - Use the table and hopefully clean up afterwards

That's faster, no table-creation overhead for the program. You can
scrupulously follow the data-types, rules and other project standards for
tables and columns as the table is created at design time. When you create
them in code, there's this temptation t
o use a and tmp_cod as column names.

--
MikeC

Please reply to the group.

Wed, 05 Jun 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. How do I Create Temp Tables

2. How To Create Temp Table Using Unique Name?

3. How can I create Temp Table using an unique name?

4. How can I create Temp Table using an unique name?

5. Creating Temp Table using VBScript

6. Create a TEMP table with Stored procedures (Oracle)

7. Create a TEMP table with Stored procedures (Oracle)

8. Error creating dataset from stored procedure with temp table

9. How to: temp = Image1, or temp.Picture = Image1.Picture

10. My app makes a temp file in win/temp dir upon execution

11. Temp Table

12. Locale temp tables in ADP