using windows HOOKS (system-wide)
Author Message
 using windows HOOKS (system-wide)

Hi,

  Has anyone been able to successfully implement a "SYSTEM-WIDE"
WH_KEYBOARD hook??
I'm trying to set up an app in VB 4 (16 bit and 32 bit) which can be
minimized, but invisibly perform some functions upon receiving a hot-key,
when the app DOS NOT have the focus.  I've looked at some sample apps at
Microsoft, but I can't get them to work as stated ...see:

   Q81334  -  Code demonstrates using a WH_KETBOARD Hook (re: kbhook2.exe)
   Q83914  -  Creating a shortcut-Key edit control (re: hotkeyed.exe)
   Q83233  -  Code uses keyboard hook to access help (re: F1CDhelp.exe)

Some of their example code is not particularly well documented and I was
not able to properly compile under VC++ 1.5.

Articles 2 and 3 above both work, but only when the running application has
the focus...so that's not much good.
Article 1, after a lot of fiddling around I was able to compile it without
errors...but the resulting program doesn't appear to work as expected.
Supposedly it installs a global hook to scan for the state of the capslock
key.  It should toggle the appearance of the icon whenever the key state
changes regardless of the focus.  As it works for me though, it only picks
up on the state of the key when the app first executes...once running it
doesn't do a damn thing.  I don't know if it's a program glitch...or
something which went wrong during compilation.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris

Sun, 23 May 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. System Wide hooks in Visual Basic.NET

2. system wide hook in visual basic.net

3. System wide hook for Mouse and Keyboard events

4. System-wide hook procedure for print dialog box

5. OCX Wanted : Keyboard Hook... System wide (Hot key)

6. System wide Keyboard Hook

7. System Wide Hook

8. Having trouble making a system wide hook

9. System wide shell hook

10. system wide hook in vb

11. System-wide hook procedure for print dialog box

12. System-wide Mouse Hook