Finding the names of computers on the network???
Author Message
 Finding the names of computers on the network???

I want to be able to find the names of all machines on our network. I know
how to find the name of the computer that my app is running on but I need to
be able to communicate with others as well. I wish to be able to have a
combo box that the user selects a computer name from to begin
communications.

I've got the code to do all the comminucations between machines but at the
moment the user has to type in the machine name of the computer to
communicate with. This would obviously be better in a combo or similar
control.

Any help on this would be really useful.

Pete

Sat, 30 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Finding the names of computers on the network???
If you want to do this outside of NT admin, which you probably do, I will
assume that you want to talk to other copies of your app on other
machines???  The easy way is to have all of them write a file to a common
share announcing thier presence and, therefore, absence when possible.  The
could name the file = thier system name and include data if you wish.  Then
just doing a dir on the share list the machines running your app for a combo
or whatever.
Cheap.

Quote:
>I want to be able to find the names of all machines on our network. I know
>how to find the name of the computer that my app is running on but I need
>be able to communicate with others as well. I wish to be able to have a
>combo box that the user selects a computer name from to begin
>communications.

>I've got the code to do all the comminucations between machines but at the
>moment the user has to type in the machine name of the computer to
>communicate with. This would obviously be better in a combo or similar
>control.

>Any help on this would be really useful.

>Pete

Sat, 30 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Finding Computer Names on a Network for use with WMI

2. ADSI:GetObject network path not found reading info other than the current computer name

3. Finding all computer names in a peer-to peer network

4. How to find out all computer names on a network

5. list computer names on a network

6. Returning all networked computer names?

7. Returning names of all networked computers?

8. Windows Computer Network Names Retrieval

9. Retrieving Computer name from Network

10. Get computer names from network

11. Get Computer Names On Network

12. How to obtain local network NetBIOS computer names?