DLL function not found
Author Message
 DLL function not found

Hello,

I'm converting an example program from a VB 3 book to VB 4.  I've changed
all the variables, types, and API functions, to the best of my knowledge.
Still, when I run the program, I get an error.  The error says,

Run-time error 453  Specified DLL function not found.

The error comes after these lines of code, with the second being the one
that gets highlighted when I push the 'debug' button.

    hBrush = CreateDissolveBrush(DissolveStep)
    hOldBrush = SelectObject(Picture2.hdc, hBrush)

This is the only function that seems to relate and it is directly from the
API.

Declare Function SelectObject Lib "user32" (ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal
hObject As Long) As Long

Anyone have any ideas about what's wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Tue, 12 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DLL function not found

Quote:
>Hello,

>I'm converting an example program from a VB 3 book to VB 4.  I've changed
>all the variables, types, and API functions, to the best of my knowledge.
>Still, when I run the program, I get an error.  The error says,

>Run-time error 453  Specified DLL function not found.

>The error comes after these lines of code, with the second being the one
>that gets highlighted when I push the 'debug' button.

>    hBrush = CreateDissolveBrush(DissolveStep)
>    hOldBrush = SelectObject(Picture2.hdc, hBrush)

>This is the only function that seems to relate and it is directly from the
>API.

>Declare Function SelectObject Lib "user32" (ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal
>hObject As Long) As Long

>Anyone have any ideas about what's wrong?

>Thanks in advance,

>Kevin

The API documentation is in error. The SelectObject function is in the "gdi32"
library not the "user32" library.

Just to let you know how I diagnosed the problem...

I looked up another function in the same category as SelectObject,
CreateObject. The docs said that CreateObject was in the gdi library so I
tried to find SelectOjbect there. The error went away so I guess VB found it.

-Stu

Fri, 22 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 DLL function not found

Due to the popular demand in this newsgroup (and the horde of e-mail that
I've been getting), I have put several code examples on my web page.  They
are completely free, with no strings attached.  All were zipped using
Winzip and written in VB4.  Some of the examples include:
User Defined Types
Arrays
Text File IO
Playing a Wav File
Database IO
Executing a program by calling a file.

There are more, but I can't remember them right now.

--
Matthew
www.mattshouse.com

Quote:

> >Hello,

> >I'm converting an example program from a VB 3 book to VB 4.  I've
changed
> >all the variables, types, and API functions, to the best of my
knowledge.
> >Still, when I run the program, I get an error.  The error says,

> >Run-time error 453  Specified DLL function not found.

> >The error comes after these lines of code, with the second being the one
> >that gets highlighted when I push the 'debug' button.

> >    hBrush = CreateDissolveBrush(DissolveStep)
> >    hOldBrush = SelectObject(Picture2.hdc, hBrush)

> >This is the only function that seems to relate and it is directly from
the
> >API.

> >Declare Function SelectObject Lib "user32" (ByVal hdc As Long, ByVal
> >hObject As Long) As Long

> >Anyone have any ideas about what's wrong?

> >Thanks in advance,

> >Kevin

> The API documentation is in error. The SelectObject function is in the
"gdi32"
> library not the "user32" library.

> Just to let you know how I diagnosed the problem...

> I looked up another function in the same category as SelectObject,
> CreateObject. The docs said that CreateObject was in the gdi library so I
> tried to find SelectOjbect there. The error went away so I guess VB found
it.

> -Stu

Sun, 24 Oct 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Specified DLL function not found (Error 453)

2. Error specified dll function not found

3. DLL function not found

4. 'dll function not found' in .exe (>9MB) but not in VB, HEEELLLPP!!

5. Error: pdsodbc.dll not found, 20532 cannot find database dll

6. Calling a function in Visual C DLL results in not found msg

7. Error# 453 - function in the dll not found

8. Problems building install file - AutPrx32.dll, AutMgr32.dll, RACMGR32.dll, CLIREG32.exe NOT FOUND

9. VB5 DLL function / Can't find DLL entry point

10. Find function in dll;Trouver une fonction dans une dll

11. active-X DLL - Helpfile not found using the compiled dll

12. Error: Language dll N16.DLL not found.