Retrieving File Names and Web Links (URL's) from Windows\Favorites (Internet Explorer)
Author Message
 Retrieving File Names and Web Links (URL's) from Windows\Favorites (Internet Explorer)

I would like to write a VB program to navigate through the
Windows\Favorites directories and sub-directories, to output the file
name and web link (URL) information.

If I look at the properties for one of the shortcuts in those folders,
there is a Target URL: value.  I am hoping that this can be obtained
as a property of a control.

My general question is what approach and controls can I assemble
together that I can further research to do this task?  I will post my
solution based on the input I get.

The pseudo code would be something like:

Point to Favorites Folder
For each file in the folder
    Get file name
    Get URL
    Store them someplace, probably an array
End

For each Sub-Folder in Favorites
    Point to folder
        Get file name
        Get URL
        Store them someplace, probably an array

Well the pseudo code is very rough.  I've never done any recursive
programming but this may lend itself to that.

There are a number of applications for this.  One I would like to do
is output the link structure to a Mind Map... either to Mind Man 3.0
or Visi Map.  Both excellent programs (www.mindman.com,
www.visimap.com).  I'd do this using sendkeys and Do Events so it
would be fun to watch.

Thanks for any info. you could provide about the controls and process
to use to get the file name and URL info.

Kevin

Wed, 10 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Retrieving File Names and Web Links (URL's) from Windows\Favorites (Internet Explorer)
the .URL files are text so they are easy to read.....

Line 1 =  [InternetShortcut]
Line 2 = www.myisp.com/directory/page.html
Line 3 = modified info.

both lines and with CRLF

Shane.

Quote:
> I would like to write a VB program to navigate through the
> Windows\Favorites directories and sub-directories, to output the file
> name and web link (URL) information.

> If I look at the properties for one of the shortcuts in those folders,
> there is a Target URL: value.  I am hoping that this can be obtained
> as a property of a control.

> My general question is what approach and controls can I assemble
> together that I can further research to do this task?  I will post my
> solution based on the input I get.

> The pseudo code would be something like:

> Point to Favorites Folder
> For each file in the folder
>     Get file name
>     Get URL
>     Store them someplace, probably an array
> End

> For each Sub-Folder in Favorites
>     Point to folder
>         Get file name
>         Get URL
>         Store them someplace, probably an array

> Well the pseudo code is very rough.  I've never done any recursive
> programming but this may lend itself to that.

> There are a number of applications for this.  One I would like to do
> is output the link structure to a Mind Map... either to Mind Man 3.0
> or Visi Map.  Both excellent programs (www.mindman.com,
> www.visimap.com).  I'd do this using sendkeys and Do Events so it
> would be fun to watch.

> Thanks for any info. you could provide about the controls and process
> to use to get the file name and URL info.

> Kevin

Fri, 12 Jan 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Extract URL Links from Page, Navigate to these URL's and Extract E-Mail

2. Using file URL's with Internet Transfer Control

3. VB6 Web Browser-Loading URL's from a sequential file

4. VB6 Web Browser-Loading URL's from a sequential file

5. VB6 Web Browser - Loading URL's from a sequential file

6. VB6 Web Browser-Loading URL's from a sequential file

7. Reading .URL files from the Favorites folder

8. Can I retrieve a URL from web browser?

9. Retrieving the web site URL and Title

10. Can't Get full File name for Long file names

11. Opening Internet URL's From App ????

12. Please help: Internet transfer control and valid URL's