Magnetic card readers
Author Message
 Magnetic card readers

Quote:
>Does anyone know something about magnetic card interfase.
>I'm gratefull for all information about the relationships
>PC  - >  magnetic card reader / writer and
>Magnetic card reader / writer   - >  PC.
>Does exist any VBX / DLLs or such for this purpose?

Actually, you don't need any VBX or DLL. Cherry makes keyboards that, besides
being great keyboards (I'm typing this on on...), can also read magnetic cards
or barcodes. To the computer, it would just be like someone keyed in the
information standing on the magnetic card.
  I've never worked with such a thing, but there are frequent ads in the Byte
about this thing. You could ask Cherry for more information.

Hein
--

  "Pull the trigger, drop the blade, and watch the rolling heads..."
    -- Soundgarden, "The day I tried to live"

Tue, 08 Jul 1997 21:37:10 GMT
 Magnetic card readers
Does anyone know something about magnetic card interfase.

I'm develloping a admission control application who are
supposed to interfase with magnetic cards.

I'm gratefull for all information about the relationships
PC  - >  magnetic card reader / writer and
Magnetic card reader / writer   - >  PC.

Does exist any VBX / DLLs or such for this purpose?

Mail me:

Thank you :-)

Bjoern Jonassen.

Tue, 08 Jul 1997 17:46:20 GMT
 Magnetic card readers

Quote:

>>Does anyone know something about magnetic card interfase.

>>I'm gratefull for all information about the relationships
>>PC  - >  magnetic card reader / writer and
>>Magnetic card reader / writer   - >  PC.

>>Does exist any VBX / DLLs or such for this purpose?

> Actually, you don't need any VBX or DLL. Cherry makes keyboards that, besides
> being great keyboards (I'm typing this on on...), can also read magnetic cards
> or barcodes. To the computer, it would just be like someone keyed in the
> information standing on the magnetic card.
>   I've never worked with such a thing, but there are frequent ads in the Byte
> about this thing. You could ask Cherry for more information.

> Hein
> --

>   "Pull the trigger, drop the blade, and watch the rolling heads..."
>     -- Soundgarden, "The day I tried to live"

I'd have to concur.  Programming with magstripe readers, and barcode
scanners is a _LOT_ easier than most people would imagine.  If you use
one that plugs in between your keyboard and PC, its just like keyboard
input.  However, for "robust" applications, I'd suggest using a serial
input type of reader.  This gives the scanner a seperate data stream
from the keyboard, and it makes it less likely that your program will
be confused by a user scanning something when your not ready to receive
it (ex.- scanning while the cursor is in an input field can cause havoc
in a database program...)

Those few caveats aside, I'd suggest findng a reputable company, and
jumping right in.  I bought my scanner from Bear Rock Technology, listed
in the back of Byte.  They had the nicest ads :-).

Good Luck,

Byron Jones

Fri, 11 Jul 1997 17:57:40 GMT

1. Magnetic card reader and serial input in Access

2. Magnetic Card Reader needed

3. Where do I find Magnetic Card readers + Vb Data capture control

4. Magnetic Card Readers

5. translation of german question.. magnetic card reader.

6. Magnetic Stripe Readers

7. Smart Card Reader

8. want control card reader

9. smart card reader

10. Card reader info

11. Want control card reader

12. COM port card reader problem. Need help