How big is too big?
Author Message
 How big is too big?

We have been developing an app that has a lot of multimedia aspects to
it. We are using quite a bit of the ActiveThreed controls. All sounds
animations, bitmaps, etc. are built into the app via a resource file.
The problem is the app is only about a third of the way done and the exe
is 9.3MB !!! Is this too much? I relize the parts stored in the resource
file only get loaded into memory when called but still doesn't the whole
9.3MB exe get loaded? At this rate we could have a 20MB exe. Is that too
much?

Dave

Fri, 10 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How big is too big?

It is too big for a Calculator program not very big at all
for a full function office type program.
What type of app is it?

Quote:

> We have been developing an app that has a lot of multimedia aspects to
> it. We are using quite a bit of the ActiveThreed controls. All sounds
> animations, bitmaps, etc. are built into the app via a resource file.
> The problem is the app is only about a third of the way done and the exe
> is 9.3MB !!! Is this too much? I relize the parts stored in the resource
> file only get loaded into memory when called but still doesn't the whole
> 9.3MB exe get loaded? At this rate we could have a 20MB exe. Is that too
> much?

> Dave

Fri, 10 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How big is too big?

    As a single EXE, that's too large. Yes, there are commercial
products on the market that are of similar size, but it's still
too large.
    One problem with using a single EXE that size is that Windows
will have to do a lot of paging out to the swap file, and fragmentation
will probably increas as time goes by.
    Why don't you compile the resources into DLLs? C++ is the most
prqactical tool to create resource-only DLLs, but you can make
resource-only ActiveX DLLs as well. This would protect your
animations, etc. (they'll still be compiled into an executable),
but you can load and unload them as needed, rather than

Ron Ruble
Raffles Software Development, Inc.
Patient - Doctor, it hurts when I do this!
Doctor - Then don't do that.

Quote:

>We have been developing an app that has a lot of multimedia aspects to
>it. We are using quite a bit of the ActiveThreed controls. All sounds
>animations, bitmaps, etc. are built into the app via a resource file.
>The problem is the app is only about a third of the way done and the exe
>is 9.3MB !!! Is this too much? I relize the parts stored in the resource
>file only get loaded into memory when called but still doesn't the whole
>9.3MB exe get loaded? At this rate we could have a 20MB exe. Is that too
>much?

>Dave

Fri, 10 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Re. BIG BIG problem

2. BIG BIG Problem

3. Big Versions, Big Words

4. How big is a big vb-exe

5. FORMS: How big is too big??

6. ?VBDOS- Big programs and big QLBs

7. URGENT - VB creates a big big database in Win98

8. Need big help for big problem

9. BIG BIG TROUBLE ( Package & Deploy)

10. How big is BIG?

11. I'am a big asshole

12. My app is getting big. How big is too big?