Error accessing the system registry
Author Message
 Error accessing the system registry

Hi,
I am having problems with the registry on my windows XP machine.
Inside the VB6 IDE,when I select project-references I get this error:
Error accessing the system registry.
Has anybody encountered this before and if so what is the best way to
correct it without having to rebuild the system.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Aria

Tue, 07 Dec 2004 08:59:27 GMT
 Error accessing the system registry

> Hi,
> I am having problems with the registry on my windows XP machine.
> Inside the VB6 IDE,when I select project-references I get this error:
> Error accessing the system registry.
> Has anybody encountered this before and if so what is the best way to
> correct it without having to rebuild the system.
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don't worry, this is easy to trouble-shoot if you have a special tool.
Further, don't think that because VB is throwing this error that there is
any serously wrong with the Box as a whole--the problem is unique to
VB.

You need to use an Applet called RegMon.exe from www.sysinternals.com
Learning to use RegMon is well worth the effort, although some are
intimidated by it.

Here's my suggested launch order:
    1) Open VB and load ANY project, the smaller the better.
    2) Launch RegMon, letting it run in the background. Don't be put off
        by the volume of info that it prints
    3) Now launch the Project/References Applet. As soon as you get
        the error dialog, bring RegMon to the foreground and stop capturing by
        clicking the MagnifyingGlass icon.
    4) Dismiss the error dialog and close VB.

Now you will work backwards through the Registy keys in the RegMon window,
starting from the last keys printed at the bottom. Looking for the last key in
the following hive:
    HKCR\TypeLib\{ ... a GUID ...}

Either this key, or the next key in the Enumeration is the problem spot. Your
next step is to use RegEdit and fix the key, looking for an empty subkey
collection, or an obviously bad path for the Server.

Some will say that you should run RegClean 4.1a, but in the long run you will
learn more by trouble shooting this problem yourself as outlined above.

good luck,
Mark Pryor
--
ICQ 64329574
Pgp KeyID: 0x1A966EC5

Quote:

> Thanks,
> Aria

Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:11:08 GMT
 Error accessing the system registry

      PRB: 'Error Accessing the System Registry' Message When Displaying
VB/VBA References

Q269383

----

  a.. Microsoft Visual Basic Professional Edition for Windows, versions 5.0,
6.0, on platform(s):
    a.. Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0
    b.. Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
  b.. Microsoft Visual Basic Enterprise Edition for Windows, versions 5.0,
6.0, on platform(s):
    a.. Microsoft Windows NT Server version 4.0
    b.. Microsoft Windows 2000 Server

----

SYMPTOMS
When you access the References dialog box in the Visual Basic integrated
development environment (IDE) or any Visual Basic for Applications (VBA)
enabled application, you receive the following error:

  Error Accessing the System Registry
Also, when you access from REGEDT32.exe, some registry keys are dimmed and
inaccessible. For example:

HKEY_CLASS_ROOT\TypeLib\{...}
Other problems you may encounter with these Registry keys include:
  a.. You cannot delete these keys, not even from the local Administrator
account.
  b.. You cannot Assign or View Permissions.
  c.. You cannot Take Ownership of the keys.

CAUSE
The cause of this problem is a full/Clean Installation of Seagate Crystal
Reports 8.0.0.371.

Seagate Software has documented this issue with Crystal Reports version
8.0.0.371 in their own Knowledge Base article:

  Installing Crystal Reports 8 restricts access to ODBC data sources
According to Seagate Software, this problem no longer occurs with Crystal
Reports version 8.0.0.441 or higher.

RESOLUTION
WARNING: Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that
may require you to reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot
guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor
can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

For information about how to edit the registry, view the "Changing Keys and
Values" Help topic in Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) or the "Add and Delete
Information in the Registry" and "Edit Registry Data" Help topics in
Regedt32.exe. Note that you should back up the registry before you edit it.
If you are running Windows NT or Windows 2000, you should also update your
Emergency Repair Disk (ERD).

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT is dynamic and is built on startup. The
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes key is read into memory and is
accessible as HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. If you add a key to HKLM\Software\Classes,
it is immediately replicated to HKCR.

Steps to Correct this Problem
First you need to figure out which registry key or keys are affected. This
can be done in two ways:
  1.. Use REGEDT32.exe to scan for keys that are dimmed in
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib and HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.

  2.. Use the RegMon utility from www.sysinternals.com. Run the filtering
processes for Visual Basic, and then try accessing the References dialog box
in Visual Basic. When the error occurs, switch to RegMon and make note of
the last keys which were successfully read or written. (These should be from
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\TypeLib or HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID.)

You can then fix the permission problem in the following ways:
  1.. Load REGEDT32 and locate the keys that are dimmed from the preceding
step 1, or the keys that you noted from step 2. (Note: If you used step 2,
once you locate the key, look at the key or sub-key that immediately follows
it in the Registry. If you did not have the appropriate permissions to
access the key, it would not have even been logged through the RegMon
utility and, as such, the entry you noted in step 2 will be the last
successful read/write. Therefore, the one that followed it caused the error
to occur.

  2.. On the Security menu, give the appropriate permissions to the key so
that you, and Visual Basic, can access it:

    a.. Administrators - Full Control
    b.. Everyone - Read
    c.. System - Full
    d.. Users - Read
    e.. Modify the user list to suite your needs.

  3.. Sometimes REGEDT32 is not able to access the key, and it gives you an
error stating that the security account information cannot be retrieved or
found. You can fix this in the following ways:

    1.. On the Control Panel, double-click the Services icon.

    2.. Verify that the Task Scheduler is running and start it if it is not.

    3.. Open a command prompt. (DOS Prompt) (Note: The window caption says
Command Prompt.)

    4.. Type the following command to schedule a new command prompt:

    AT 13:10 /Interactive cmd.exe

    5.. Change 13:10 to whatever time you want the cmd.exe (command prompt)
to run: for example, one or two minutes from your current time.

    6.. Wait until this new command prompt starts. (Note: The window caption
is similar to C:\Winnt\System32\MSTask.exe.) If the command prompt fails to
start, please see Knowledge Base article Q193852 "Task Scheduler May Fail to
Run Job When Scheduled"

    Because the Task Scheduler is running under the SYSTEM account, the new
command prompt is created running under the SYSTEM security context.

    7.. From the new command prompt, type the following, and then press
enter: REGEDT32.EXE Because you start this process from the SYSTEM command
prompt, REGEDT32 is also running under the SYSTEM security context.

    8.. Repeat the preceding step 2, and then reset the permissions.