Visual Studio / VB 6.0 install problem
Author Message
 Visual Studio / VB 6.0 install problem

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my problem

I am installing Visual Studio 6.0 (only the Visual Basic part) and get
to the point where it wants to install the MSDN CD's.  When I put in
the correct CD (1), I get an error message saying invalid path and
have tried all CD's in case it was asking for the wrong CD but it
still won't install.

I can install the MSDN disks outside of the Visual Studio setup but
get a message saying MSDN not installed whenever I try to access and
sort of help from within VB 6.0  I can't find any help on Microsoft
site and am at a loss.  If anyone has a suggestion please post it or
email it to me.  Thanks for reading

Chris McKintosh

Tue, 13 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Studio / VB 6.0 install problem
Sounds like vss6 beta ware (although called final release).
1. On the ms web site there is a 6 part readme file full of bugs and work
arounds. This ?may? be one of them.
2. If not, try this (probably wont work, but like all microshaft apps, we
need many work arounds).
    a.Uninstall msdn library
    b.Rerun the vss setup program using the add/remove option.
    c.Try to add the msdn library again.
Quote:

>I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my problem

>I am installing Visual Studio 6.0 (only the Visual Basic part) and get
>to the point where it wants to install the MSDN CD's.  When I put in
>the correct CD (1), I get an error message saying invalid path and
>have tried all CD's in case it was asking for the wrong CD but it
>still won't install.

>I can install the MSDN disks outside of the Visual Studio setup but
>get a message saying MSDN not installed whenever I try to access and
>sort of help from within VB 6.0  I can't find any help on Microsoft
>site and am at a loss.  If anyone has a suggestion please post it or
>email it to me.  Thanks for reading

>Chris McKintosh

Wed, 14 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Studio / VB 6.0 install problem
Tried it :(   Thanks for the reply though.
It sucks not being able to push F1 when I get some syntax error,
although there seems to be plenty of gripes about the current help
system.

Quote:
>Sounds like vss6 beta ware (although called final release).
>1. On the ms web site there is a 6 part readme file full of bugs and work
>arounds. This ?may? be one of them.
>2. If not, try this (probably wont work, but like all microshaft apps, we
>need many work arounds).
>    a.Uninstall msdn library
>    b.Rerun the vss setup program using the add/remove option.
>    c.Try to add the msdn library again.

>>I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my problem

>>I am installing Visual Studio 6.0 (only the Visual Basic part) and get
>>to the point where it wants to install the MSDN CD's.  When I put in
>>the correct CD (1), I get an error message saying invalid path and
>>have tried all CD's in case it was asking for the wrong CD but it
>>still won't install.

>>I can install the MSDN disks outside of the Visual Studio setup but
>>get a message saying MSDN not installed whenever I try to access and
>>sort of help from within VB 6.0  I can't find any help on Microsoft
>>site and am at a loss.  If anyone has a suggestion please post it or
>>email it to me.  Thanks for reading

>>Chris McKintosh

Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Visual Studio / VB 6.0 install problem
ah, don't fret about pressing F1 and getting context sensitve help. It
doesn't exist anymore. Try it. Press F1 for help on any issue: let's say
connection. You'll get help on everything on how to connect to a database to
how to listen to your girlfriend or hitch your trailer to your pick up.
Context sensitve help from Visual Studio seems to be a thing of the past.
Quote:

>Tried it :(   Thanks for the reply though.
>It sucks not being able to push F1 when I get some syntax error,
>although there seems to be plenty of gripes about the current help
>system.

>>Sounds like vss6 beta ware (although called final release).
>>1. On the ms web site there is a 6 part readme file full of bugs and work
>>arounds. This ?may? be one of them.
>>2. If not, try this (probably wont work, but like all microshaft apps, we
>>need many work arounds).
>>    a.Uninstall msdn library
>>    b.Rerun the vss setup program using the add/remove option.
>>    c.Try to add the msdn library again.

>>>I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my problem

>>>I am installing Visual Studio 6.0 (only the Visual Basic part) and get
>>>to the point where it wants to install the MSDN CD's.  When I put in
>>>the correct CD (1), I get an error message saying invalid path and
>>>have tried all CD's in case it was asking for the wrong CD but it
>>>still won't install.

>>>I can install the MSDN disks outside of the Visual Studio setup but
>>>get a message saying MSDN not installed whenever I try to access and
>>>sort of help from within VB 6.0  I can't find any help on Microsoft
>>>site and am at a loss.  If anyone has a suggestion please post it or
>>>email it to me.  Thanks for reading

>>>Chris McKintosh

Thu, 15 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems Installing Visual Studio 6.0 Pro edition

2. Can't get Visual Studio and VB 6.0 to re-install

3. Visual Studio 6.0, Visual Studio.Net Difference

4. Dial-up after install Visual Studio 6.0

5. Installing Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

6. Installing Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0

7. HELP: Visual Studio 6.0 Install

8. Install Visual Studio 6.0 over VB5

9. Installing SP2 for all of Visual Studio, after its been installed for VB.

10. A question about installing SP2 for Visual Studio, after having installed it for VB.

12. Visual Studio Install/MSDN Help won't install