ADO or DAO gurus ?
Author Message
 ADO or DAO gurus ?

I am new to the ADO scene and Microsoft states that it is faster than
DAO. Well I am not getting that. I am finding it about 6 times slower.
Maybe someone can help me out here.

Here is the test I have been using:
- two ADO controls labeled:
  dat1 - connected to Biblo-Authors
  dat2 - connected to Test-Authors (same format as empty          table
Biblo-Authors)

private sub CopyDat()
  dim ST as long
  ST = timer
  dat1.recordset.movefirst
    do until dat1.recordset.eof
      dat2.recordset.addnew
         dat2.recordset!AU_ID = dat1.recordset!Au_ID
         dat2.recordset!Author = dat1.recordset!Author
         dat2.recordset![Year Born] = dat1.recordset![Year Born]
      dat2.recordset.update
      dat1.recordset.movenext
    loop
  msgbox "Total time to copy = " +str$(timer-ST)
end sub

I have used both the ADO and the DAO and DAO is doing it much faster.
Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO or DAO gurus ?
If your only plan is to use Data Access to attach to Access Databases,
then you are best of staying with DAO.  Even Microsoft admits that DAO
is still the fasted way to connect to the Jet Engine.  However, if
there is even the slightest chance you plan on switching databases,
say to SQL Server, then you should use ADO.

Jeremy

Quote:
>I am new to the ADO scene and Microsoft states that it is faster than
>DAO. Well I am not getting that. I am finding it about 6 times slower.
>Maybe someone can help me out here.

>Here is the test I have been using:
>- two ADO controls labeled:
>  dat1 - connected to Biblo-Authors
>  dat2 - connected to Test-Authors (same format as empty          table
>Biblo-Authors)

>private sub CopyDat()
>  dim ST as long
>  ST = timer
>  dat1.recordset.movefirst
>    do until dat1.recordset.eof
>      dat2.recordset.addnew
>         dat2.recordset!AU_ID = dat1.recordset!Au_ID
>         dat2.recordset!Author = dat1.recordset!Author
>         dat2.recordset![Year Born] = dat1.recordset![Year Born]
>      dat2.recordset.update
>      dat1.recordset.movenext
>    loop
>  msgbox "Total time to copy = " +str$(timer-ST)
>end sub

>I have used both the ADO and the DAO and DAO is doing it much faster.
>Anyone have any ideas?

>Thanks

Fri, 30 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO or DAO gurus ?
I think the fair comparison is between DAO/ODBCDirect vs ADO.
Quote:

>I am new to the ADO scene and Microsoft states that it is faster than
>DAO. Well I am not getting that. I am finding it about 6 times slower.
>Maybe someone can help me out here.

>Here is the test I have been using:
>- two ADO controls labeled:
>  dat1 - connected to Biblo-Authors
>  dat2 - connected to Test-Authors (same format as empty          table
>Biblo-Authors)

>private sub CopyDat()
>  dim ST as long
>  ST = timer
>  dat1.recordset.movefirst
>    do until dat1.recordset.eof
>      dat2.recordset.addnew
>         dat2.recordset!AU_ID = dat1.recordset!Au_ID
>         dat2.recordset!Author = dat1.recordset!Author
>         dat2.recordset![Year Born] = dat1.recordset![Year Born]
>      dat2.recordset.update
>      dat1.recordset.movenext
>    loop
>  msgbox "Total time to copy = " +str$(timer-ST)
>end sub

>I have used both the ADO and the DAO and DAO is doing it much faster.
>Anyone have any ideas?

>Thanks

Sat, 31 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO or DAO gurus ?
John,

1. Use of a data control is going to slow you down anyway - don't use them
(for DAO or ADO) unless you have to.
2. ADO is slow using Access databases.
3. There is a FAR faster way of doing below anyway. Just use a insert

INSERT INTO table2
SELECT *
FROM Table1;

Matthew

Sun, 01 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. An ADO.Net DataAdapter Update Philosophy Question for the MS gurus

2. Curious ADO error - for the GURUs out there

3. Need Help From An ADO Guru

4. Any ADO gurus around???

5. Any ADO GURUS around???

6. ADO Gurus !!!!!!

7. MS ADO Guru Needed

8. To all ADO gurus -- ADODB vs ADOR

9. ADO Guru: How do I get connection handle?

10. Ado gurus pls help

11. RDS Question for all you ADO GURUS

12. ADO Gurus !!!!!!