Writing to log files
Author Message
 Writing to log files

Hi Everybody,

What I need to do is create Log file that the program
will be writing to when it completes certain actions
I expect it to happen every 2-3 minutes.

My question is what is the best way of handling this Log
File:

       --- open it when program starts and close on Exit;

      ---  open it when I need to write to it and close after
file is updated;

Does it make any difference ??

Thanks for your help,

Regards, Davie.

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Writing to log files

: Hi Everybody,

: Does it make any difference ??

for all practical purposes, no.

you might want to consider using an .ini file, if possible.
the care and feeding is easier.

- adrian

Wed, 12 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Writing to log files

Normally, opening and closing a text file after a simple append doesn't
take long. Done in a flash.

To be honest, unless the file becomes _very_ large, it isn't going to
make a difference. Think of archiving practice, and the potential size
of the file relative to this, and go for the easy option. Not something
to loose any sleep over...

Regards,

Johnathan Meehan

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Writing to log files

Quote:

>Hi Everybody,

>What I need to do is create Log file that the program
>will be writing to when it completes certain actions
>I expect it to happen every 2-3 minutes.

>My question is what is the best way of handling this Log
>File:

>       --- open it when program starts and close on Exit;

>      ---  open it when I need to write to it and close after
>file is updated

I keep it open, but close and open again after important records or
once in a while.

Jony

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Writing to log files

One thing you might consider is how much you care about getting log messages
in the event of catastrophic failure. If you open the file, then write to it
for a few hours without closing it, then crash, it is likely that some or
all of your output will be lost... especially the events immediately before
the crash.

Of course, if you never intend for your program to crash, it makes no
difference...

Good luck!

Quote:

>Hi Everybody,

>What I need to do is create Log file that the program
>will be writing to when it completes certain actions
>I expect it to happen every 2-3 minutes.

>My question is what is the best way of handling this Log
>File:

>       --- open it when program starts and close on Exit;

>      ---  open it when I need to write to it and close after
>file is updated;

>Does it make any difference ??

>Thanks for your help,

>Regards, Davie.

Thu, 13 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Writing to log files

Quote:

> One thing you might consider is how much you care about getting log messages
> in the event of catastrophic failure. If you open the file, then write to it
> for a few hours without closing it, then crash, it is likely that some or
> all of your output will be lost... especially the events immediately before
> the crash.

Agree 100%. Logging should normally be atomic.

Quote:
> Good luck!

Regards
/Joachim

--
Lente Impelle.

Sat, 15 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Writing to log files

Hello!

Since a year we are developing programs in VB 4.0 and with
the encluded dbGrid.
As it seems dbGrid has a lot of bugs.
What I want to know:
Is the new True dbGrid Pro now the best solution, or are there
other tools to create tables?
It would be great, to hear about the expirience of you.

Thanks in advance.

Norbert Biermayr

Jonathan Rosenne schrieb in Nachricht

Quote:

>>Hi Everybody,

>>What I need to do is create Log file that the program
>>will be writing to when it completes certain actions
>>I expect it to happen every 2-3 minutes.

>>My question is what is the best way of handling this Log
>>File:

>>       --- open it when program starts and close on Exit;

>>      ---  open it when I need to write to it and close after
>>file is updated

>I keep it open, but close and open again after important records or
>once in a while.

>Jony

Tue, 18 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Writing to log files

Hello,

I use Sheridan Data Widgets, which IMOA is the best in the market. You
could get a trial version ( I don't know if they do a trial for
version 3, which has just been released ), from their website.

         Alan Davis, Southampton, England

Wed, 19 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Writing to log files

Also, you can download the latest DBGrid from the Apex web site.
Version 1.0e ("Big Jake") is free, the most bugless edition of the
original grid supplied with VB. Not to be confused with Versions 4,
5, etc. which are better but which you have to pay money for.

Steve.

Quote:
> Hello!
> Since a year we are developing programs in VB 4.0 and with
> the encluded dbGrid.
> As it seems dbGrid has a lot of bugs.
> What I want to know:
> Is the new True dbGrid Pro now the best solution, or are there
> other tools to create tables?
> It would be great, to hear about the expirience of you.
> Thanks in advance.
> Norbert Biermayr

Mon, 24 Jul 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. writing a log file problem

2. Writing to log files

3. Making an Event Log Message File in VB (NOT WRITING TO THE EVENT LOG)

4. How to write a log file in ASP/VBScript?

5. VBA - Write To File - Simple Log File!

6. Write in the application log or system log

7. Event Log: Writing to the NT Event Log

8. Write in Application Log or System Log on NT

9. Writing log file.....

10. Write to a log file using a new thread

11. Write URLs to a log file?

12. Creating And Writing To An Error Log File