visual basic vs visual foxpro debate
Author Message
 visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

Quote:

>We are having a raging internal debate at work.  We MUST move our
>office from DOS/c into the Windows 95/NT visual development world.  We
>are working on selecting the programming and database platform.  One
>faction wants to write our new system(s) with Visual Basic Pro 4.0 using
>Btrieve 6.15 as the database (our legacy data is in Btrieve 5.10).  The
>other faction wants to use Visual Foxpro Pro 3.0 and its xbase database
>(we have no xbase data or programming legacy).  For various contractual
>reasons we can not use SQL for these applications.  We expect the number
>of records will be between 500,000 and 1 million; and there will be
>about 12 indexes.  The record will have 30 to 60 fields.
>    We are concerned with various issues like file access speed, data
>file size limitations, data and index file integrity, field entry and
>entry screen validations/controls/tests, options for user/adhoc reports,
>ease of development effort and so on.
>   Can anyone give me some pros and cons?
>   Are there any articles/reviews discussing any strengths and
>weaknesses?

My experience with Btrieve is primarily as an end-user - supporting
accounting systems such as Solomon which uses Btrieve as their
database engine.  Btrieve is very popular in the commercial, high-end
PC based accounting systems, which says something about their product.

Check Btrieves Web site.  It provides many details on the file
manager.  The file manager does provide many features of client-server
without going client-server (e.g. transaction rollback, recovery
features, ability to return a block of transaction based on a
selection criteria).  It can run of Novell as an NLM and, I believe,
off Windows NT as a server application.  It can select block of
transactions at the server, and return such block; thus reducing LAN
traffic.

Finally, it can be upscaled to Btrieve SQL system which is an SQL
layer that utilizes the Btrieve file system; thus allowing you to
access the data via the file management system or through SQL
commands.

Btrieve / VB will probably require less computer resources than VFP.

However, VFP is an integrated DBMS system, which will require less
programming to implemented a database system.  The report writer is
integrated, whereby you will need to use the Crystal Reports or
another reporter with Btrieve.  In addition, I guess that for ultimate
database speed, Fox's Rushmore will probably outperform Btrieve given
pleny of RAM.

Steven

Wed, 05 Aug 1998 03:00:00 GMT

1. visual basic vs visual foxpro debate

2. Visual Basic 5/6 vs Visual FoxPro 5/6

3. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

4. Visual Basic vs. Visual Foxpro

5. Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

6. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

7. Visual Basic vs. Visual FoxPro

8. Visual Basic 5/6 vs Visual FoxPro 5/6

9. Visual Basic vs Visual FoxPro

10. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

11. Visual Basic App using Foxpro DB vs Access DB vs SQL Server DB

12. Visual Baisc vs Visual Foxpro