Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
Author Message
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner

I'm looking for someone who has a real knack for writing code who can work
with me on a project that could make us both some real cash.

I've been developing methods for analyzing financial markets and I've got
some ideas that I believe could prove to be excellent for determining when
to buy and when to sell.  These techniques rely heavily on massive
computations and so must be done with a specialized computer program.

I have a lot of experience at VB, but it doesn't come naturally to me, and I
have to struggle to get complex code to do what I want.  My talent lies in
analyzing financial markets, not spend all my time trying to write code to
test my systems.  I need to find someone who is fast and efficient at
turning my formulae and algorithms into working programs.

Note:  This is not a paying job; I need a partner in researching my concepts
and I can't afford to pay up front.  If these concepts work, though, we'll
both have our hands on a powerful money-making tool and possibly a saleable
product as well.

out the xyz's to defeat the anti-spam feature.  Let me know about you and
your experience, how much time you can devote to this project and perhaps a
sample of your work.  I prefer the code to be in VB so I can make sense of
it and it should make full use of classes and objects for reusability and
ease of modification.

Please contact me ASAP if you're interested.  My latest idea is a great one
and after 6 hours of programming I still can't get the code to work.  I need
a real programmer to handle the code part before I pull out all my hair.

Thanks for listening.

Brian-

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 04:16:13 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner

 > I'm looking for someone who has a real knack for writing code who
 > can work with me on a project that could make us both some real
 > cash.
 . . . <SNIP>
 > Note:  This is not a paying job; I need a partner in researching my
 > concepts and I can't afford to pay up front.  If these concepts
 > work, though, we'll both have our hands on a powerful money-making
 > tool and possibly a saleable product as well.
 . . . <SNIP>

Advertising and employment solicitations (and responses thereto) are
off-topic (and unwelcome to serious technical Q&A participants) in
technical discussion newsgroups. Since most of the _experienced_
regular participants view these posts as unwelcome and will not
respond, it is also not a particularly fertile field for finding
_qualified_ candidates.

And, my writer friends get offers like this all the time. Their
unvarying response is "ideas are a dime a dozen, it's the execution
that makes the difference".

In fact, most ISPs post information on Newsgroup Netiquette and explain
that adverti{*filter*}ts and employment solicitations are prohibited in all
newsgroups EXCEPT those whose charter specifically allows them. The
charter of comp.lang.basic.visual.misc does not allow either.

By the way, there are quite a number of jobs newsgroups and job sites
which are likely to be more productive than this newsgroup. Using any
of the major search engines with search words of "jobs" and "computers"
will find you a great many sites devoted to job posting, resume
posting, or both. Your news source should have a list of the newsgroups
they carry... look for ones with "jobs" in the name. Many of the jobs
newsgroups are identified by locality there is likely one for yours.

We assume you just did not know the rules; we are not offended, but
just trying to keep the traffic in the newsgroup within reasonable
bounds and hold it to its intended purpose of technical questions,
answers, and discussion. I wish you much good luck in finding qualified
candidates; I _hope_ that you will pursue that elsewhere. Thanks for
your future consideration.

--
 L. M. (Larry) Linson
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ - North Texas PC User Group - Visit and Join

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:10:06 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
Since this post is clearly NOT an adverti{*filter*}t and it clearly DOES NOT
offer a job I can only assume that you did not bother to read it before you
fired up your flame thrower.

If you're not interested, why bother responding, unless you take particular
pleasure in making false accusations?

Brian-

Quote:

>  > I'm looking for someone who has a real knack for writing code who
>  > can work with me on a project that could make us both some real
>  > cash.
>  . . . <SNIP>
>  > Note:  This is not a paying job; I need a partner in researching my
>  > concepts and I can't afford to pay up front.  If these concepts
>  > work, though, we'll both have our hands on a powerful money-making
>  > tool and possibly a saleable product as well.
>  . . . <SNIP>

> Advertising and employment solicitations (and responses thereto) are
> off-topic (and unwelcome to serious technical Q&A participants) in
> technical discussion newsgroups. Since most of the _experienced_
> regular participants view these posts as unwelcome and will not
> respond, it is also not a particularly fertile field for finding
> _qualified_ candidates.

> And, my writer friends get offers like this all the time. Their
> unvarying response is "ideas are a dime a dozen, it's the execution
> that makes the difference".

> In fact, most ISPs post information on Newsgroup Netiquette and explain
> that adverti{*filter*}ts and employment solicitations are prohibited in all
> newsgroups EXCEPT those whose charter specifically allows them. The
> charter of comp.lang.basic.visual.misc does not allow either.

> By the way, there are quite a number of jobs newsgroups and job sites
> which are likely to be more productive than this newsgroup. Using any
> of the major search engines with search words of "jobs" and "computers"
> will find you a great many sites devoted to job posting, resume
> posting, or both. Your news source should have a list of the newsgroups
> they carry... look for ones with "jobs" in the name. Many of the "jobs"
> newsgroups are identified by locality - there is likely one for yours.

> We assume you just did not know the rules; we are not offended, but
> just trying to keep the traffic in the newsgroup within reasonable
> bounds and hold it to its intended purpose of technical questions,
> answers, and discussion. I wish you much good luck in finding qualified
> candidates; I _hope_ that you will pursue that elsewhere. Thanks for
> your future consideration.

> --
>  L. M. (Larry) Linson
>   http://www.*-*-*.com/ - North Texas PC User Group - Visit and Join
>   http://www.*-*-*.com/ - NTPCUG Developer SIGs
>   http://www.*-*-*.com/

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 07:57:23 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
Your post, in which you were advertising for a partner (or perhaps just
some free labor if your vast ideas turn out to be only half-vast) is
CLEARLY an adverti{*filter*}t. And, since you are seeking someone to work
with/for you, it is also CLEARLY an employment solicitation.

Just because it fits your wants, that does not give you the right to
try to co-opt this technical newsgroup to your private purposes. This
is a technical discussion newsgroup, chartered for technical discussion
of Microsoft Visual Basic and for technical questions and answers about
Microsoft Visual Basic. It isn't a place to troll for free help.

And, just so you'll know, what you got was a polite, gentle admonition.
Should I decide, as I very rarely do, to flame you, you will know it
and so will everyone else. I learned flaming at the feet of the
Flamemeisters and Flame{*filter*}es of the WRITING echo in the old
FIDONET hobbyist network. It still brings a tear to my eye to remember
how people who make their living with words can turn an uppity twit
into a twisted, charred stick of charcoal without even working up a
sweat.

And, in answer to your final question: I take a rather proprietary
interest in this newsgroup because I cast one of the official
affirmative votes for the creation of its parent newsgroup,
comp.lang.basic.visual, back in 1992, and I've been around ever since.
Apparently you did not read what I wrote, because I pointed out that we
simply try to discourage off-topic traffic. Other newsgroups where
advertising, employment solicitation, and twits who want to bend the
newsgroup to their own will were not assertively discouraged have been
so flooded with that sort of thing that they became useless for their
intended purpose. Our assertive discouragement has, so far, kept this
one useful for its chartered purpose.

And, a final comment: some of my less-patient colleages could already
have complained to your ISP and news service and those complaints would
be justifiable. Generally, they will hold off when I post the gentle
admonition, particularly if the person so admonished heeds that
admonition. Sometimes, however, they don't continue to hold off if the
person demonstrates that he/she is an argumentative twit, even if
he/she does not repeat the offense. FYI, I have not yet complained and
asked for "appropriate action" to be taken under your ISP and news
servers Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy. You should read the
TOS and AUP before you continue to argue this point -- most ISPs and
news services will cancel the account of anyone who causes sufficient
complaints by violating the TOS and AUP.

Quote:

--
 L. M. (Larry) Linson
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ - North Texas PC User Group - Visit and Join
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ - NTPCUG Developer SIGs
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 12:38:38 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
Give the guy a break.

Whilst we could argue the toss about whether it is or is not an
adverti{*filter*}t or is or isn't an employment solicitation....it was at least
polite and detailed an not a blatant spam from would be get rich quick
spammers that all know and love!

I found the mail interesting - and I am a programmer (or technically a
software engineer as I do a little more that simply program...)

As Brian says - if you aren't interested - move on...

Stuart

Quote:
> [...]

> any
> > > of the major search engines with search words of "jobs"
> and "computers"
> > > will find you a great many sites devoted to job posting, resume
> > > posting, or both. Your news source should have a list of the
> newsgroups
> > > they carry... look for ones with "jobs" in the name. Many of
> the "jobs"
> > > newsgroups are identified by locality - there is likely one for
> yours.

> > > We assume you just did not know the rules; we are not offended, but
> > > just trying to keep the traffic in the newsgroup within reasonable
> > > bounds and hold it to its intended purpose of technical questions,
> > > answers, and discussion. I wish you much good luck in finding
> qualified
> > > candidates; I _hope_ that you will pursue that elsewhere. Thanks for

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 19:18:49 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
You tell him, Larry!

By the way, I have just mentioned genetically modified tomatoes in one of my
own recent messages. Will that be okay?

Mike

p.s. Merry Christmas ;-)

Quote:
> Just because it fits your wants, that does not give you the right to
> try to co-opt this technical newsgroup to your private purposes. This
> is a technical discussion newsgroup, chartered for technical discussion
> of Microsoft Visual Basic and for technical questions and answers about
> Microsoft Visual Basic. It isn't a place to troll for free help.

Fri, 13 Jun 2003 21:26:43 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
Well, if you posted a message that was only about genetically modified
tomatoes as the first one in a thread, that would more than likely be
off-topic. Off-topic posts are discouraged, but advertising and
employment solicitations are a sub-genre of "offtopic" that is
prohibited. Occasional off-topic diversions in threads that start on-
topic are only to be expected and don't raise the hackles of many here,
particularly if the person who wanders off-topic is a regular (as you
are) who participates in productive Q&A and discussion.

I'm not the only one who's tried to "assertively discourage"
advertising and employment soliciations here, and in combination, we
have managed to keep them to a minimal level. Several of those others
have not been in evidence lately, e.g., Joe Foster (who was not nearly
so polite) and Neila Nessa.

Quote:
> You tell him, Larry!

> By the way, I have just mentioned genetically modified tomatoes in
one of my
> own recent messages. Will that be okay?

> Mike

> p.s. Merry Christmas ;-)

> > Just because it fits your wants, that does not give you the right to
> > try to co-opt this technical newsgroup to your private purposes.
This
> > is a technical discussion newsgroup, chartered for technical
discussion
> > of Microsoft Visual Basic and for technical questions and answers
about
> > Microsoft Visual Basic. It isn't a place to troll for free help.

--
 L. M. (Larry) Linson
  http://www.ntpcug.org - North Texas PC User Group - Visit and Join
  http://www.ntmsdevsigs.homestead.com - NTPCUG Developer SIGs
  http://homestead.deja.com/user.accdevel - Access examples

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:31:03 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
I don't spend a lot of time with this newsgroup.
If I exhaust all my other resources or just plan
looking for an opinion I might pose a question
here.  But where I am not a regular contributor
I try to address about 10 questions while
trying to get something answered.  I tell you
this because what you are dealing with may
or may not be a bit problem, I am not here enough to know.
 In general I find it very interesting how protective people
are of their electronic space.  Will break into
servers and do harm way beyond the 1 second
it takes to delete a un wanted email and similar
radical retaliations.  I guess some think of it as
their private space where they don't need to
put up with Junk mail and un solicited telephone
calls.  I find telemarketers much more irritating,
where I have to leave what I am doing to answer
a phone to tell them not to bother me.  The only
problem I have with your sensitivity in this case is
the newsgroup name is misc not programming, coding
or whatever else we might think it should be.  If he
posted the same message in .....VB/Database it would
be clearly inappropriate but misc,   boy its a bit fuzzy,
wanting a VB partner is pretty misc.
Quote:

>> You tell him, Larry!
> By the way, I have just mentioned genetically modified tomatoes in
>one of my
>> own recent messages. Will that be okay?

>> Mike

Sat, 14 Jun 2003 08:12:52 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner

 > . . .  The only
 > problem I have with your sensitivity in this case is
 > the newsgroup name is misc not programming, coding
 > or whatever else we might think it should be.  If he
 > posted the same message in .....VB/Database it would
 > be clearly inappropriate but misc,   boy its a bit fuzzy,
 > wanting a VB partner is pretty misc.

The name of the newsgroup is not the charter, nor is it necessarily the
charter that prohibits advertising and employment solicitation, but the
USENET newsgroup rules. This is not, and its parent was not, a
newsgroup for "anything remotely related to Visual Basic". The parent
newsgroup was a technical discussion newsgroup; this is a technical
discussion newsgroup; its charter does not specifically permit those
kinds of posts -- thus, they are prohibited.

In fact, the parent comp.lang.basic.visual was split into four:

  comp.lang.basic.visual.misc -- for miscellaneous technical discussion
and miscellaneous technical questions and answers about Visual Basic

  comp.lang.basic.visual.database -- for technical discussion and Q&A
about VB as it is used for database applications

  comp.lang.basic.visual.third-party -- for technical discussion and
Q&A about third-party controls, utilities, etc., related to VB (but
even this one does not specifically permit ads and job posts -- I don't
participate there, so I do not know if anyone "assertively discourages"
them).

  comp.lang.basic.visual.announce -- this newsgroup's charter
specifically permits product announcements (which are adverti{*filter*}ts)
of products related to Visual Basic

It's not questionable at all to me that advertising to find a partner
or someone to work on the prospect of future earnings is both
advertising and employment solicitation. Do you disagree?

I do not consider this "private space", but I do feel something of a
proprietary interest in keeping it useful for the chartered purpose
because I cast one of the offical affirmative votes (representing a
domain -- a local BBS -- where I read newsgroups at the time) for the
creation of its parent comp.lang.basic.visual and also case an official
vote in the splitup election (I voted against splitting, but was
certainly involved enough to remember the charter provisions). For more
on what can happen if we are not assertive in discouraging ads and job
posts, see my response to Stuart Wells earlier in this thread.

 --
 L. M. (Larry) Linson
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ - North Texas PC User Group - Visit and Join
  http://www.*-*-*.com/ - NTPCUG Developer SIGs
  http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.*-*-*.com/

Sat, 14 Jun 2003 09:41:41 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner

<cut>
Quote:
> I have never heard of Joe Foster (whoever she is) but I really do take
> offence at your mention of Neila Nessa.

<cut>

I think you may have misread Larry's post.  He was saying that Joe &
Neila also take part in the fight to keep spam under control here.
both Joe & Neila have been frequent valued contributors.

Larry is by far the most vigilant in this regard and, for my part
anyway, his efforts are much appreciated.

--
Please reply via the newsgroup only

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Sat, 14 Jun 2003 11:01:03 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
Well folks, I can't properly respond to Larry's concerns because they make
no sense to me.  He accuses me of advertising, but I have no products or
services for sale.  He accuses me of making job offers but I'm not a company
and I don't hire employees, and I clearly stated that I could not pay.  Some
job offer!

For the others drawn into this discussion, I appreciate those who have
supported me and I apologize to any whom I may have offended.  It was never
my intention to disrupt the NG or degrade its quality.  I merely sought to
find a willing programming partner.  It's like inviting a friend, who shares
my love of gardening, to help me plant a flower bed.  I could use the help
and he enjoys the work, so where's the harm?  Should he be angry because I
didn't use the 'help wanted' classifieds?

I would like to ask one question, though.  Larry suggested I should have
placed my invitation on a 'jobs' NG, but folks who are looking for work are
looking for pay, and would certainly not consider my post to be appropriate
there, either.  Is there no proper place on the entire Internet for my
invitation?  I've asked Larry this question twice and he refuses to answer,
preferring instead to repeat his absurd and illogical accusations.

I suppose this notoriety lessens the chances I will ever get a productive
response to my post, which is unfortunate, as I am sure there are lots of
folks out there who would enjoy joining me in this effort.  If one
self-righteous, over-territorial person like Larry can derail my invitation
merely by attacking me and misdirecting my thread, then I guess he has won,
and I'll have to keep trying to work out these problems myself.

Brian-

Quote:
> I'm looking for someone who has a real knack for writing code who can work
> with me on a project that could make us both some real cash.

> I've been developing methods for analyzing financial markets and I've got
> some ideas that I believe could prove to be excellent for determining when
> to buy and when to sell.  These techniques rely heavily on massive
> computations and so must be done with a specialized computer program.

> I have a lot of experience at VB, but it doesn't come naturally to me, and
> have to struggle to get complex code to do what I want.  My talent lies in
> analyzing financial markets, not spend all my time trying to write code to
> test my systems.  I need to find someone who is fast and efficient at
> turning my formulae and algorithms into working programs.

> Note:  This is not a paying job; I need a partner in researching my
concepts
> and I can't afford to pay up front.  If these concepts work, though, we'll
> both have our hands on a powerful money-making tool and possibly a
saleable
> product as well.

take
> out the xyz's to defeat the anti-spam feature.  Let me know about you and
> your experience, how much time you can devote to this project and perhaps
> sample of your work.  I prefer the code to be in VB so I can make sense of
> it and it should make full use of classes and objects for reusability and
> ease of modification.

> Please contact me ASAP if you're interested.  My latest idea is a great
one
> and after 6 hours of programming I still can't get the code to work.  I
need
> a real programmer to handle the code part before I pull out all my hair.

> Thanks for listening.

> Brian-

Sat, 14 Jun 2003 15:03:36 GMT
 Idea Man Needs Programming Partner
Enough, enough, already.

Whereas I really, really respect the work that people are doing to keep this
(and other newsgroups) on topic, this thread itself does nothing to improve
my understanding of VB, which is the reason I lurk around here.

I am still working on a relatively slow modem and am paying to download this
stuff, so can we all please get back to business?

Cheers David

> [...]

| saleable
| > product as well.
| >

| take
| > out the xyz's to defeat the anti-spam feature.  Let me know about you
and
| > your experience, how much time you can devote to this project and
perhaps
| > sample of your work.  I prefer the code to be in VB so I can make sense
of
| > it and it should make full use of classes and objects for reusability
and
| > ease of modification.
| >
| > Please contact me ASAP if you're interested.  My latest idea is a great
| one
| > and after 6 hours of programming I still can't get the code to work.  I
| need
| > a real programmer to handle the code part before I pull out all my hair.

Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:07:57 GMT

 [ 25 post ]  Go to page: [1] [2]

 Relevant Pages

1. Man oh Man - Need VB Help for Using Access Databases

2. Ideas for programs needed ????

3. ***** I need ideas for a VB Program --- Please reply *****

4. Wanted: VB5 Programming Partner for Winsock Apps

5. Looking for a VB5 Programming Partner for Winsock Apps

6. DUNK DUNK man DUNK women DUNK High man DUNK High women

7. Need NetMeeting partner

8. Partners (developers) needed for web project.

9. Needed - 10 good (wo)men with PB3.2

10. PLEASE PLEASE :::DESPERATE MAN NEEDS sprite animation and 3D reality control for VB4

11. Need help starting PAC MAN game

12. Programming Challenge - Ideas?