Need Advice: License My Software for Resale
Author Message
 Need Advice: License My Software for Resale

Hello everyone,

I am looking for some advice. I was approached by a company who wishes to
license my product for resale under their name. They wish me to modify my
product with their logo, etc..... I shall keep all rights and ownership.
Their idea is to sell my product about 5-6 times higher than I do directly,
then give me somewhere between 20-30% of all sales. Even at this percentage,
I would make more than I sell my software directly. They are convinced that
using their marketing and connections, that they can sell lots of copies.
Currently, my only market is via the Internet. They have far reaching
marketing. I will still be able to sell this product under my name as well
since I maintain all rights.  This company specializes in software which is
in the same field as my software. They have no competing software which is
why they are so interested.

We are in the first stages of talks about a potential deal.  Nothing is in
writing as yet, just verbal right now.

What I am looking for is opionions, especially experienced ones. I haven't
ventured in this area before, so I have nothing to go by as to whether this
is a fair deal, or whether I am cutting myself short.  I would appreciate
any comments about the proposed deal I mentioned and any other advice such
as what else to make sure is in writing to protect myself.

Regards,
Tim Hirtle

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Advice: License My Software for Resale
Get a lawyer.

Doug W.

Quote:

> Hello everyone,

> I am looking for some advice. I was approached by a company who wishes to
> license my product for resale under their name. They wish me to modify my
> product with their logo, etc..... I shall keep all rights and ownership.
> Their idea is to sell my product about 5-6 times higher than I do
directly,
> then give me somewhere between 20-30% of all sales. Even at this
percentage,
> I would make more than I sell my software directly. They are convinced
that
> using their marketing and connections, that they can sell lots of copies.
> Currently, my only market is via the Internet. They have far reaching
> marketing. I will still be able to sell this product under my name as well
> since I maintain all rights.  This company specializes in software which
is
> in the same field as my software. They have no competing software which is
> why they are so interested.

> We are in the first stages of talks about a potential deal.  Nothing is in
> writing as yet, just verbal right now.

> What I am looking for is opionions, especially experienced ones. I haven't
> ventured in this area before, so I have nothing to go by as to whether
this
> is a fair deal, or whether I am cutting myself short.  I would appreciate
> any comments about the proposed deal I mentioned and any other advice such
> as what else to make sure is in writing to protect myself.

> Regards,
> Tim Hirtle

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Need Advice: License My Software for Resale
As doug said, get a Lawyer.
But as a comment, the more the merrier, you have allways the power on
upgrades and stuff, why not? The publicity never harm, allways put your
name in the code, give yourself the credit somewhere, don't dissapear
from the program, whatever they say, the program is yours and you have
to have the credit.
The upgrades are yours to made and control, and the deal is allways to
be renegotiated when an upgrade comes out.
Lawyers know about that more than me, but whatever you do, GIVE CREDIT
TO YOURSELF IN THE CODE.
Make it clear ON THE CODE that you sell the program too.

Quote:

--
Humberto Gonzalez

My personal page: http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Park/5117
Business Page: http://www.interven.net/acron

Tue, 19 Feb 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. GPS Software Advice Needed

2. Software licenses of installed software

3. Where can I find online resources for software development advice

4. Advice/Opinions on selling software

5. Where can I find online resources for software development advice

6. Advice on HOW TO PRICE SOFTWARE?

7. ASKING FOR ADVICE ON SOFTWARE TO BUY

8. Licensing, registration of software

9. Powerbasic licensed software WANTED

10. Software, licensing

11. Good license control software?

12. Registration/Licensing Software or Dongle